ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)

Profile for John Eyles > Reviews

Content by John Eyles

John Eyles (Somerset, England)

Uniross BC101692 3.6V 3 x 1/2 AA Cordless Telephone Battery 04H
Uniross BC101692 3.6V 3 x 1/2 AA Cordless Telephone Battery 04H
Offered by Cell Solutions
Price: 3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars An old cordless phone given a new lease of life, 27 Feb 2013
Several years ago, our old BT cordless phone gave up on us. It (or rather it's battery) would no longer hold a charge. So into a drawer it went, and I had to buy a new cordless phone. The problem was that the old phone was similar in size to the regular house phone, whereas the new one was not much bigger than a mobile. Brilliant, I hear you say, but both my wife and I, being of advancing years, not longer have the dexterity (if we ever did) to manipulate the tiny buttons without a degree of frustration and 'cross words'.

So, the chance of a new life for our old cordless was worth a try. The replacement battery duly arrived and was really very simple to fit (the instructions were excellent). We now have a phone we can carry around and take or make calls with the ease of using the regular house phone.

Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012]
Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing twist in this third film of the franchise., 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Men in Black 3 [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Having seen both MIB and MIB2, I had asked for MIB3 as a Christmas present. My younger daughter duly obliged. So far, my wife and I have watched it twice and can say it is completely in keeping, in terms of atmosphere and humour with the previous two films.

I have no intention of revealing the plot, except to say that it has an intriguing twist ..... And I'll just leave it at that.

Magic of the Movies
Magic of the Movies
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Well up to what we have come to expect from Andre Rieu, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Magic of the Movies (Audio CD)
The quality of the performance is excellent and the DVD most entertaining. It is perhaps nitpicking to say that it was not quite as enjoyable as Forever Vienna, but that DVD was really 'the tops' for light classical music.

SONY XDR-S56DBP DAB+/DAB/FM Digital Radio AC-DC With Sleep timer.
SONY XDR-S56DBP DAB+/DAB/FM Digital Radio AC-DC With Sleep timer.
Offered by magicdiscounts
Price: 39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a birthday present for my wife, 7 Dec 2012
Dubious about the quality of DAB and not enamoured of push buttons, it was, nevertheless, received with great pleasure. Once I had set up the desired programme pre-selector buttons and explained how they worked, she found it easy to use and was well pleased with the gift. That was all on the plus side.
The only minus point I felt was the lack of an alarm function. The Radio has a built in clock and can receive time settings (on DAB in any case) so the additional alarm function would have been a welcome feature.

Matilda [DVD] [1996]
Matilda [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Danny DeVito
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 9.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Well up to expectations, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Matilda [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
This is an excellent film. The acting is brilliant by a well chosen cast. I enjoyed every minute of it.

The Best Of Ealing Box Set [DVD]
The Best Of Ealing Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Holloway
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 9.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for nostalgia, 15 Dec 2011
An excellent collection of some of the best of the Ealing Comedies: there are more that are not in this set, 'Whisky Galore' and the 'Titfield Thunderbolt' are two that come to mind. I was a little supprised to find that the set includes 'The Man in the White Suit' - not, I think, my first choice for a comedy, although there is an important message in the story. But for nostalgia, these films bring back the memories of times past and a cinema full of laughter !

Forever Vienna
Forever Vienna
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonus DVD worth watching again - and again., 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: Forever Vienna (Audio CD)
The bonus DVD which comes with this CD is really superb. I have watched it three times already, so when there is just nothing worth watching on TV, I recommend that you put this DVD on, relax and enjoy an hour and a half of pure musical entertainment.

The musicians in the Johann Strauss Orchestra are more than just talented, they are extremely talented and clearly enjoy what they are doing. Moreover Andre Rieu knows what he is doing and has exactly the correct degree of control to bring out the very best of the performance.

The CD speaks for itself. At the time of writing it has been number one in the Classic FM chart for eleven weeks. That must be something of a record (no pun intended).