Profile for ScottT > Reviews

Content by ScottT

ScottT (Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wireless vertical ergonomic optical USB mouse / vertical model | Wireless 2.4G | ergonomic design - prevention against mouse arm/tennis arm (RSI syndrome) - particularly arm-friendly | wireless | 5 buttons
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels great, very natural hand position, 8 Mar. 2016
I like the look, feel etc. and it has helped strains I've had using a magic trackpad on a Mac. Haven't been able to sort it out with BetterTouchTools yet, so would be good to get more functionality with the additional buttons. Great little mouse.

35MM REPLACEMENT CERAMIC DISK CARTRIDGE BASIN BATH SINK
35MM REPLACEMENT CERAMIC DISK CARTRIDGE BASIN BATH SINK
Offered by Evergreen Goods Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Appears well made so very happy with it, 8 Feb. 2016
It worked, arrived within 24 hours. Appears well made so very happy with it.

August EP650 - Bluetooth Headphones with 3.5mm Audio In - Wireless or Wired Stereo Headset with NFC Tap to Connect - Rechargeable Battery / Built In Battery / USB Audio In - Black
Offered by Daffodil UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, easy to use, 8 April 2015
Very comfortable, easy to use, very good sound quality - I bought one as a gift, tested them, then bought a set for myself. Recommended.

Reamde
Reamde
by Neal Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Agree with all the other reviews re: editing, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)
I'll echo some of the other reviews in that the book is far too long. It lacks the explorative depth of his other works in which anything from creating phosphorus, tempered steel, binary language are woven into a rip roaring narrative dragging you through an inspiring adventure.

I just didn't get that from this novel. There is no Shaftoe, Waterhouse, Hiro or Nell to fall in love with here. The characters are well rounded enough and Stephenson resists any real stereotyping, but nevertheless, the chopping from narrative threads seems often unnecessary and a device within itself in this book, whereas in his other novels you always felt you were changing at the right time, at a moment you needed to know what another character thread was doing.

I actually like the plot concept, and overall enjoyed the overlapping of virtual and real worlds, and the creation of virtual economies, however it just doesn't develop into anything that blows you off your feet like the Baroque Cycle did, or Snow Crash.

In essence, in my view all the comments about editing I'd agree with. I'd say the book could have been 2/3rd's if not 1/2 the size of the finished article and been much better for it. Whereas his previous coffee table breakers were filled with various philosophical, mathematical, scientific investigations and explanations, this book just appears to be padded out for the sake of it.

I've already read Snow Crash and Diamond Age twice (almost unprecedented for me to read a book twice), and will one day read the Baroque Cycle again, and to my mind Neal Stephenson is a literary genius, but this is very much a book that he has missed the target with.

Lightning Bolt
Lightning Bolt
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Pearl Jam on top of their game - please tour the UK 2014!!!, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lightning Bolt (Audio CD)
I noted one review didn't rate the last 5 tracks as much as the first 7 and so I did listen thinking it would tail off. Far from it, the last 5 tracks are superb, they are accomplished and less rocking but more thoughtful and delightfully put together. Track 11 'Yellow Moon' is perhaps my favourite on the album, and I love them slipping into an almost country fused track in 'Sleeping By Myself'. 'Sirens' is another soaring stand out effort in which Vedder's voice conveys all his emotion.

If you've ever liked Pearl Jam at any part of their career, you'll love this I think. It is a superb listen.

It is also a great place to start if you've never bought one of their records before.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2013 5:40 PM BST

A New Tide
A New Tide

5.0 out of 5 stars Masters of their craft, 31 July 2013
This review is from: A New Tide (Audio CD)
A beautiful little album that has all the Gomez hallmarks you'd expect. This flows along nicely in a lovingly crafted manner. It doesn't scream and shout, it whispers in your ear, tickles your toes, wraps it's arm around you in a big hug. It's the musical equivalent of a large slab of chocolate, settling down on the sofa and watching a good film.

Little Pieces, Airstream Driver and Natural Reaction stand out for me, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagull started singing!?!, 7 May 2013
I got the seagull home, blew it up and it suddenly started belting out:

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall

For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

There was nothing in the description that it was going to do this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2013 5:45 PM BST

Sevylor Kayak Hudson KCC360 kayak
Sevylor Kayak Hudson KCC360 kayak

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality and lots of fun!, 22 Aug. 2012
Bought this for the family and have not been disappointed. Live on the South coast and have taken it out in reasonably choppy wavy seas and its handled it very well and is very stable. We tether ourselves to the boat and regular jump in for a swim and it's easy to get back into.

After a few uses, packing up becomes very easy, and while initially I struggled a bit inflating it with the Sevylor dual action hand pump, I realised there was something wrong with the pump, and once fixed, it's actually not been too bad. I am investing in a battery powered air pump though as it is a big craft.

I've had 2 adults and child in it, 1 adults and 3 kids, it's big and comfortable. It is also wider than typical kayaks so make sure you get longer paddles, I think I have the 2 part Sevylor 2.35m paddle which is excellent for this boat.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Connected to Apple Time Capsule - but needed some help, 22 May 2012
These didn't work at first, however a quick call to the TP-Link help line and it was quickly sorted. I paired the devices by pressing the pair buttons for 6-10 secs, however they didn't properly pair, even though it looked like they had. The reason I think they didn't was that they were on different ring mains in the house - i.e. 1 downstairs, 1 upstairs which are wired on different circuits.

This was easily sorted however, and the TP-Link support help suggested I re-pair them by unplugging the ethernet connections and either plugging them in together on a multi-point extension, or like I did next to each other in a double socket. Once paired in this way, I was able to take one back upstairs, plug the router (Apple Time Capsule) into it, and it then communicated with the one I'd left downstairs. Once this was done they are now operating fine.

This is probably good advice in pairing them in the same socket to start with, then move them to the locations where you want to use them.

Really pleased. They are quite attractive looking things, and happy with the support. Performance appears to be good. I actually took the connection from the downstairs one to a TP-Link 5 port switch so that I can share the connection between a TiVo, MacMini and games console. All seems to work well.

TRIXES USB CRYSTAL 3 Fans Cooler Pad for Laptop, Notebook, Xbox
TRIXES USB CRYSTAL 3 Fans Cooler Pad for Laptop, Notebook, Xbox

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for a product under £5, 16 Feb. 2012
I've actually bought 2 of these. One, I unscrewed the fans and have fixed them to the back of my iMac to keep that cool, and the other I use as a laptop stand.

They are a bit flimsy, but it works, and for a product under £5, I actually think it is well worth 5 stars. It is better than I expected given some of the negative reviews (which begs the question what on earth were they expecting for the price point!?).

This is a simple bit of kit. The fans are reasonable quiet, it isn't the most robust bit of kit, but it will do a very good job for it's purpose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3