Profile for A. O'Carroll > Reviews

A. O'Carroll (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Syro [VINYL]
Syro [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars ... - I agree with others that this is a brilliant album, as can be expected from an artist ..., 22 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Syro [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The music has been reviewed already both here and in the music press - I agree with others that this is a brilliant album, as can be expected from an artist of Richard D James' calibre. Whilst it is not as challenging as some of his material (whether this is a good or bad thing is debatable) it has good depth and variety, and should bear repeated plays.

The vinyl LP is well packaged. The cover is matt white heavy card, with the long itemised cost printed across the triple gatefold sleeve. The middle of the 3 discs is a bit tricky to remove. The interior covers are mostly plain, although one has a nice list of the various machines used in the production. The pressing seems good - plenty loud enough - and the discs I received are properly flat. There is a redeem code for an mp3 version, which is encoded at 320kbps.

Any fans of Aphex Twin should own this album, but if you have a turntable I strongly recommend the vinyl version.

Enormous Door
Enormous Door

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mix of punk rock and funky brass, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Enormous Door (Audio CD)
The Ex are a Dutch band who have been around since the late 70s. Their music isn't really punk as it evolved as they took influences from around the world. Brass unbound is a collection of 4 brass players - 2 from the US, 1 from Sweden and 1 from Italy. Together they make some great music; uptempo, noisy, playful, fun - unbound is a good description.

One of the best albums of 2013, even if I can't do it justice with my review. My one gripe is there is no download code with the LP.

SanDisk SDMX18-004G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 4 GB, Black
SanDisk SDMX18-004G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 4 GB, Black
Offered by iHD Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars good little player, 12 Sept. 2013
I have bought 6 of these now - 3 for the kids and 3 for me. One of mine the screen went crazy after about 2 years, the next I blew up by using an Ipad charger (NOTE:- Do not use an iPad charger on this!!! It needs 3v, if you give it 5v it has no buffer and will die) and another I lost. Even so, they are great players for the money.

It is best to buy the 4gb one then buy micro SD cards to store extra music on. You can get this plus a 16gb card for about the same price as an 8gb Sansa Clip+!! Then it is much more flexible too, as you can have a few cards.

The only thing I don't like is how it organises music. It uses the mp3 file's ID3 tag to sort it. This means you can't really have compilations on there, unless you are prepared to re-tag all the files.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2013 1:44 PM BST

Jungle Revolution [VINYL]
Jungle Revolution [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Jungalist soul jah, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Jungle Revolution [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Brilliant album here from Congo Natty and crew. If you are interested in drum and bass, jungle or any Brit dance music it's well worth owning. He blends old sounding dancehall/ ragga tunes, through to the hardcore sound then adds soulful singing to give jungle and onward into dubstep - it's like a history lesson. He has assembled many old school MCs to give the record that original flavour plus some great singers. Vinyl mastering and pressing is quality too. Best record I've bought for a long time.

The Archandroid
The Archandroid

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of 2010, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Archandroid (Audio CD)
I can't compete with the other wordy reviews here, but this an amazing album that just gets better and better. The scope of work really defies pigeon-holing. I couldn't imagine that an R&B record would be the best thing I've heard all year, but then this maybe isn't just an R&B record. Easilly 5 stars.

Some Place Simple
Some Place Simple

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Some Place Simple (Audio CD)
Lovely voice (which I only knew from her work with Tricky) with a low-key background of various accoustic instruments adds up to a beautiful set of songs. It gets played a lot round here.

Whistle and Find Key finder - SILVER/WHITE
Whistle and Find Key finder - SILVER/WHITE
Offered by R & S Supplies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 4 Jan. 2011
We bought 2 for our son's new MP3 player and another for a present. It would go off at the slightest noise, not only for a loud whistle. Total waste of money.

Casio GW-M5610-1ER Wave Ceptor Radio Controlled G-SHOCK Mens Digital Resin Watch
Offered by WatchWarehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Top watch, 14 Oct. 2009
I have had this watch for 6 months now and absolutely love it. I tried it on in a shop first and was concerned it was too chunky, but that hasn't been a problem at all. I never used to wear a watch and thought I would wear this occasionally - like my other good-quality watch. Wrong; I feel naked now without it.

The display is clear and easy to see, the back light perfect and you never need to worry about batteries, checking the time (even when clocks change or you travel in Europe) and getting it wet like in the swimming pool. I have found it before and my toddler had squished play-doh all into the screen, but you can just put it under the hot tap and wash it out!!

I am a g-shock convert. If it wasn't for the fact that this should last many many years, I'd buy another one without hesitation. It's perfect.

Each Peach Pear Plum (Picture Puffin)
Each Peach Pear Plum (Picture Puffin)
by Janet Ahlberg

2.0 out of 5 stars amazing book let down by presentation, 26 Jan. 2008
As all the other reviews say, this is an out and out classic children's book - a must have.
This copy, however, is dreadful. The paper is thin and overly glossy, making it difficult to get to the next page and it could do with being bigger as it's really all about the pictures. I bought where the wild things are at the same time and that is amazingly presented, highlighting the problem with this further. This seems like a pamphlet or concert programme - cheap.
Save money and get the board book. It's smaller but the pictures are sharper.

Edit to add; OK so this is a few years on and I must admit - after the dissapointment of this classic having such a bad print run - the copy we bought is still going strong and hasn't ripped or anything. I'd still recommend the board book though, if the quality is the same as 2008. A.O'C.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2009 11:00 PM BST

The Very Busy Bee (Peek-a-boo Pop-ups)
The Very Busy Bee (Peek-a-boo Pop-ups)
by Jack Tickle

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 29 Nov. 2006
This book is lovely, as stated before, but it is really not suitable for young children. The back of the book states it is not for under 3 year olds and while this may be too cautious the pop-ups are too delicate for over-active little hands

Unfortunately, we bought 3 (1 for us, 2 as presents) based on the reviews below and they will have to sit around for a long time before they can be enjoyed and not ruined.

Page: 1 | 2