Profile for Daniel Trimm > Reviews

Content by Daniel Trimm

Daniel Trimm "iapetus-uk" (UK)

Linksys EA4500 Dual Band N900 Smart WiFi Router with Gigabit Ethernet and USB Port
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device - can be configured without Cisco software, 13 Nov. 2012
I had previously worked with an E4200 unit and liked it (as I have a few of the Linksys/Cisco wireless routers I have owned over the years), so I was concerned when reading that people were complaining that you could only configure the EA4500 via the Cisco software on their CD/website and that there was not the familiar web based interface of old.

Without doing any further research I took a gamble and bought one. The software on the disc was useless to me, none of it was compatible with my OS, however the PDF user guide alluded to the trusty old web interface still being around, so I tapped in the default IP address and I was hit with a page directing me towards installing and using the Cisco software... however at the bottom of the page I found a small link asking me if I wanted to continue unsecured (or something of that nature), clicking that, then clicking OK/Continue on the next warning message box brought up the login interface I was used to, and using the usual default Linksys username/password combo got me in to the configuration interface I know well.

15 minutes from opening the box my old router was replaced and the new one was configured exactly how I liked it.

TL;DR: It is possible to use the old web configuration interface, just look for the 'unsecure' link at the bottom of page (at 192.168.1.1) you see at the device's very first boot up.

Firmware version: 2.0.36 build 126507

Snakes & Arrows [Jewelcase Version]
Snakes & Arrows [Jewelcase Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that looks likely to please the fan base and draw in new fans, 16 May 2007
As the title says, this album really is the one for those who became disheartened by the Rush 'synth' era, but it doesn't just end there. This album, in my opinion is a pretty good all-rounder - - able to tempt back the disillusioned, keep the 'disciples' in check and ticking over, whilst potentially expanding the fan base. A value for money purchase for anyone who has become disinterested in a UK/Europe rock industry that of late has become very dry and dull, either through the over use of sampling systems, making the music pseudo-pop (welcome to the return of a re-vamped synth era), or because after learning 3 chords the artists believe it's time to release an album about how the *whole* world is against them and why they are the worst off human beings.

To write off mid-to-end-1980's Rush would be a mistake, there were some gems during the era, and fortunately for the fans the guys have 'rockified' these somewhat when played live now - compared to their studio recordings. Also, without that experimentation I don't think they would have learnt what entirely works and would have joined the ever-enlarging pile of artists who produce each album almost the same as the last.

This album takes a while to grow on you, the religious element of this album was explained in the pre-release as the theme Mr Peart had in mind whilst writing the lyrics - - his own search through the various religions. A part from that I believe this album is the true contuation of Rush from TFE, with VT being not only an experiment, but (with inclusion of thoughts from the band's stories surrounding the VT production) a product of their five-year hiatus giving the two guitarists time to go off an explore other avenues of composition interest.

Overall this album is still growing on me, the first 6 or 7 tracks fly by (they can make good road music too) and the last 6 have some good elements. Just need to work out what to expect in the up and coming tour now!

Vapor Trails
Vapor Trails

5.0 out of 5 stars An unbiased view, 10 May 2007
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Audio CD)
First off, I wish to tell you the reason for my writing. Looking through the reviews I feel that this album has been unjustifiably criticised by a number of people, whilst its charms have been missed by its advocates.

Luckily for I have a vantage point in writing this review. Firstly I have had five years to reflect on this (bought the album in 2002, now 2007) and, even though my father introduced me to Rush in my childhood, I only came to understand and enjoy the band in my late teens (I'm 22 now). This is beneficial because I had the chance to learn, appreciate and enjoy a thirty year back-catalogue all at once - - leaving me in a position of no partiality to any particular "era" of Rush.

Now, on to the album...The sound quality of this album is not diabolical, take the time and invest in a decent set of headphones, speakers, or (like me) both and you will find that the problem with this album (in terms of sound) is that the producer has gone to far too much effort trying to make every instrument of equal power and volume. Truth is many car/micro hi-fi/non-separate stereo & speaker systems are simply not equipped to handle the correct channelling of so much music - - I'm writing this whilst listening to this album and the bass line thumps through the floor, the guitar continue a level of experimentation started by Lifeson on his solo project 'Victor' and Peart's drumming is as complex sounding as ever.

To those here who are stuck in a particular decade of Rush should consider a line from 'Tom Sawyer' (a song that Peart has reflected talks about him a little) and this line is "He knows changes aren't permanent, but change is" - - things move on, experience, ability and time change how one approaches tasks that have occupied vast amounts of one's lifetime. I for one am glad that they moved on with their style, for as much as I love 'Kings', the thought of some 13+ other albums like that lead me to thoughts of a band that would have hung up the microphones by the early 1980's.

This album, whether you hate it or love it must be admired, and if you don't understand why then go off and read Ghost Rider and Content Under Pressure and see just how much effort, energy, determination and courage it took to get this album on the store shelves, let alone a lengthy supporting tour.

It took me a long time to understand this album, to like this album and to really enjoy it, but now its meaning, its interesting and thought provoking lyrics, and its complete change in direction from the previous decade (which is a Rush trait) make it one of the few studio albums that I enjoy listening to all the way through.

Yes it lacks those early Rush "push the boundaries of music" mannerisms (which were dying long before this album) but for an album that was born out of "the road to recovery" it is rather good - - it could have been much worse. Gets 5 stars out of me because I can't give it 4.5 as Amazon don't allow that.