Profile for Mr. M. D. Willis > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. D. Willis

Mr. M. D. Willis "Mark Willis" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
The In/Out Question: Why Britain should stay in the EU and fight to make it better

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a Euro sceptic - this should* change your mind, 4 July 2014
This book will change many minds.
It shows that Britain has been, economically, a net gainer from EU mobility of labour.
The Single Market is a good idea. Put simply, one EU member country can export to the other 27 EU countries with ONE set of paperwork, NOT 27 sets of paperwork.This type of administration cuts down wasteful duplication of services and saves businesses a huge amount of time and money.
The Euro has a similar benefit in slashing costs to businesses and also makes financial forecasting much less risky than with numerous national currencies all fluctuating in value in relation to each other.
It is amusing to note that this mammoth reduction of business red tape is the last thing that the EU gets credit for from the politicians!
This book by Hugo Dixon is very easy to follow.
Not only should Britain stick with the EU, but Britain's 'skeptic' views continue to provide a perspective that is vital if we are to trigger the much needed reform of the EU. They need us, but we need them too.
If you read this book carefully I am certain that you will consider the possibility that leaving the EU is not as risk free as a disturbingly high number of politicians are trying to lead us to believe.
At the very least, the EU is a governance that can tackle pollution, energy and infrastructure problems in a way that would be very challenging for nation-state governments to resolve on their own.

The Future of Energy: Earth, Wind and Fire
The Future of Energy: Earth, Wind and Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuclear Energy, 20 Mar 2014
I remember having a book by Fred Hoyle. Fred proposed back then that nuclear energy is safe and clean. The newer reactors produce far less waste than their predecessors. Things have moved even further since Fred left us, so his book 'The Black Cloud' is more relevant than ever.
I am confident, supremely so in fact, that even the most ardent anti-nuclear power supporter (I used to be one of those!) will change their mind. At worst, they may think about the subject and investigate further.
I have no qualifications above 'O' level and only English at that!

The Beatles: The White Album
The Beatles: The White Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as ever!, 20 Mar 2014
When you play these today, they still sound fresh. I would only say that this album lacks the consistent quality of their previous albums, but as the Beatles were nearing the end of their time as the Beatles it would be suprising otherwise. The recording quality is amazing. Hard to believe this wonderful sound was recorded in the 60's.
I recall owning the vinyl version when it came out. No idea where it went. I denied myself the pleasure of replacing it for many, many years. Skewed priorities, eh? I feel silly really.

How To Draw Anything
How To Draw Anything

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot go wrong with this book!, 13 Sep 2013
I don't want to even think about how much money I must've spent on 'how to draw' books over the years!

This book is a little gem. 100% motivating. I've drawn the seascape picture and shown it to friends. Apart from being wowed by it myself, I found my friends were amazed at how lovely the drawing looked.

I am pleased to say that Mark Linley, the author of this book, believes in starting simply and then slowly working up to more advanced work.

Mark's approach would most likely also suit artists who are returning to drawing. You can often enrich your knowledge of anything by having a basic book handy. You pick up things on the second time around that you previously missed.

I like this book so much I have bought 3 copies of it and given them to my friends and family. I will now buy the Kindle version as I can't bear the thought of leaving for my holiday and forgetting to pack this wonderful book.
My NetBook computer surgically attached, (according to my Mum!)

Venus
Venus
by Patrick Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Venus the mysterious, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Venus (Paperback)
When I was a 10 year old boy I saw a fantastic ITV Sci-fi series called "Pathfinders to Venus". Even as a young amateur astronomer I knew that Venus was a hard nut to crack. No optical telescopes could successfully resolve what was underneath those mysterious clouds.

Below the cloud deck, what? A balmy tropical rain forest like we have in South America? Were there people, insects, birds, dinosaurs, rivers, seas or oceans? "Pathfinders to Venus" featured most of these as possible Venusian life.

Unlike Mars, we cannot seen the surface of Venus. Venus managed to stay hidden from us until quite recently. Now we discover that Venus is an inferno, about 2.5 times hotter than your oven on the highest temperture setting.

Patrick Moore's book is, like all of his other books, lucid, authorititive and yet also completely accessible to the budding new amateur astronomer. Patrick always includes information about the solar system. This is useful because the beginner can view Venus in context with our solar system.

Patrick describes a historical view of Venus, when humans first spotted Venus and knew it was a planet, tens of centuries ago, is fascinating and shows how our knowledge of Venus has evolved since then.

Patrick is a friendly, wonderful and delightfully eccentric man and he manages to write in the same way he speaks. Perhaps this is due to his insistence on typing out all his books on his early 20th century Woodstock typewriter?

This book may disappoint someone who is expecting a wealth of awesome pictures. The only pictures of the Venusian surface remain those from the Soviet probes of the 1960's which look like they've been taken on a very dodgy film camera.

This is more than made up for by providing everything you're likely to want to know about this still fascinating Venus.

The Art of Being a Woman: A Simple Guide to Everyday Love and Laughter
The Art of Being a Woman: A Simple Guide to Everyday Love and Laughter
by Véronique Vienne

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Being a Woman, 16 Jun 2012
If three smiling blokes walk toward you, you could feel intimidated, confused and bewildered. If three smiling women walk toward you, generally speaking, women breathe easier and men stand taller.

I ocasionally meet women who absolutely adore being women and it is amazing what an effect they can have upon you. There doesn't seem to be a parallel with men. Men rejoice differently, if they show rejoicing at all.

If crying is a "female" emotion, women often say that when they find a man crying, they hug him and they are pleased, (though they reget he's hurting), that he has come to them for comfort.
So, assuming crying is a "female" emotion they are also pleased because as they say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

A willingness to become vulnerable is a place so very woman.

If you just live with, or marry a woman without taking an interest, without actually liking your female partner, then it's rather like becoming an astronomer without looking at the skies. Notice then how much more enriching your life, and hers, becomes when you explore her. You make yourself available so that each lovely quirk she has, her lovely smile and her beautifully inquisitive eyes notice you and there is a joy in spending decades knowing each other more deeply.

Holding the door open for a woman. There will always be a small minority who will scowl at you. Not everyone will like you, NOT your fault! You're being kind and courteous, they are not.
The vast majority of women have smiled looked me in the eye and caused me to skip back to work!

Women so often know so much about their man - and it seems a great shame that many of us men cannot claim to have made an effort to return the favour. A book like this seems to be written from a woman-affirming standpoint, but I think it is fascinating for almost any man to read. (Except Gene Hunt, maybe..)

Roberts Sound 80 DAB/FM RDS Stereo Digital Radio with 3 Way Speaker System
Roberts Sound 80 DAB/FM RDS Stereo Digital Radio with 3 Way Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio & more!, 10 Jun 2012
This sits neatly upon the top of my bookcase by my bed. It could equally fit nicely on a standard bedside cabinet with plenty of room for a cup of tea.

What is striking is the clear sound from this radio on DAB. When presenters pause, you can't hear anything, and you wonder if the radio's gone off, or the transmitter. But then the presenter talks again. It's a tribute to how radios have advanced so much with such amazing sound reproduction.

On DAB, (excepting the DAB only stations), I get the same range of stations that I can recieve on FM. The nice part is that my more distant favourite stations, BBC London, for example, which is 35 miles away, the sound quality is every bit as good as BBC Essex, whose transmitters are much closer.

A wonderful feature is being able to plug in my mp3 player, so I can relax on or in the bed listening to about 1500 tracks on shuffle, if I want a change from the radio. This also means I can listen to my own Hospital Radio Chelmsford shows as well. I realise that might sound a bit ego-centric! But it's fun to hear the music, lucky I love mostly the same music as the paitients do too. Also, I learn a great deal about improving my technique.

I can play back podcasts from newspapers and magazines.

All of this just clearly demonstrates that my previous little clock/radio only woke me up. How unenjoyable it was compared to the wonderful Roberts Sound 80. I often just lay on the bed and listen to the Roberts Sound 80 because it is so wonderful.
The best purchase, in terms of the enjoyment I get every single day.

Mastering the Vic-20 (Ellis Horwood Series in Computers and Their Applications)
Mastering the Vic-20 (Ellis Horwood Series in Computers and Their Applications)
by A. J. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastering the VIC 20, 24 April 2012
It's hard to fathom why anyone would be so taken with computers that only had 5 Kilobytes of RAM, compared to the 6 Gigabytes of RAM in today's computers. The struggle was the exciting part. After hours of programming I managed to get a circle to draw on the screen and then fill in with a different colour. My then wife pointed out I could achieve much the same thing with coloured pencils and paper. My exultation turning to depression began telling me that she was kind of right really.

I felt better later as these exercises are a precursor for securing a top job in IT, having 3 houses, UK, France and the USA. Fantastic cars, beautiful women and a thump from the missus before I completely forgot I was married back then.

Mastering The VIC 20 is a fantastic book. Very clearly written and if you read and digested this book you would really be able to Master the VIC 20. I've always found that Ellis Horword (John Wiley in the USA) books to be thorough, concise and interesting. I still love that cover!

Early projects on the VIC 20 and other computers were about looking into BASIC a high level language which is intuitive and offers the possibilty of programming your computer to do very impressive things. The easy access that BASIC offers, leads you gently into FORTH, Assembly Language and Machine Code (these are called low level languages)

Low level languages enable you to program in very tight spaces. 5K of RAM, even then could be made to perform like much more. Your program code knowledge could then be applied to Ports, devices, peripherals. Kids in bedrooms have become millionaires taking pathways like these.

I have a nearly paid for flat, a creaking overdraft and an ageing car. On the plus side, I do have a job in an IT environment. My job security is due in some small way to my reading books like this one.

Essential Radio Skills: How to Present a Radio Show (Professional Media Practice)
by Peter Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Video did NOT kill the radio star - good though this book is, I'll hang on the day job!, 17 Sep 2011
I've been connected with 3 radio stations and they ALL have different playout systems, slightly different desk layouts. So there's no point in trying to learn about your desk or your playout system from anywhere else but from the station that you're with.

What this book does deal with is presentation and the people part of radio. The devolopment of You.

What to say.
Wisdom is something you might be born with, and perhaps you acquire more through life's experience. I actually had a difficult life from when I was around 11 up to about 15 years ago. This experience has brought something to my presenting. A love of music is good and you will feel connected to the show you're presented a lot better if you're in tune with the music. Patience, steady nerves, (like acting, you will always be a little anxious on-air).

Interviews.
This is something I am not so good at. This book deals how to put your interviewee at rest and get the most.
Outside broadcasts and roadshows. I discovered that my laid back late night mellow sound didn't fare at all well on roadshows!

Buy this book. If you're a keen Hospital Radio or rookie presenter on a BBC local or community FM/Internet station this will be the best purchase you could probably ever make.

Planet Jupiter: Observer's Handbook
Planet Jupiter: Observer's Handbook
by Patrick Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars By Jupiter!, 18 Aug 2011
At the time Bertrand Peek wrote this book back in 1958, quite a lot was known about Jupiter. Of course, since Voyagers 1 & 2 visited the giant planet, we know much more. Sir Patrick Moore updated Bertrand's book in the 1980's when the Voyagers began to revolutionise our knowledge of this King of planets.

This book provides a very good foundation for astronomers. General readers might be put off by the black and white photos. However, the essence of this book is that it is a fascinating view of the evolution of planetary observation over the last half of the 20th Century.

If you would like a book about Jupiter with more sumptuous colour pictures and bang up to date information then take a look at The Giant Planet Jupiter (Practical Astronomy Handbooks). It is well worth a look.

Page: 1 | 2