ARRAY(0xa7742c48)

Profile for Cathal Lynch > Reviews

Content by Cathal Lynch

Cathal Lynch "Blue Eyed Boy"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Child Of Destiny
Child Of Destiny

4.0 out of 5 stars A Mixture Of NewAand Old, With A Mixture Of Results, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Child Of Destiny (Audio CD)
This has been anticipated for quite a while by fans, and has been met with mixed responses.

Personally, I like half of the songs on this album, which happen to be new recordings, whilst the other update recordings I am quite ambivalent about.

Child Of Destiny, Swing A Banker and the Cliffs of Moher are fantastic songs, however a few other songs let the album down. Given Brian Warfield's talent and the gap between albums, I expected a full album of original music. However this is still quite a good album, with new songs such as "Anne Devlin", "Moonbeams" being good songs.

In summary, if you are new to the Wolfe Tones, you are best starting earlier in their back catalogue, but new fans should still enjoy their most recent and welcome outing

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! [Explicit]
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Dirty!, 19 Feb 2014
You know by now what to expect from Kev.

My particular favourites are Thank You For Driving Me To Drink, Dicken's Cider and Rough Red, but every song is great.

Shame Kev has stopped touring, but that can only be expected from a man who's pushing 70 years of age. He's had a hell of a career and it's amazing he can still produce such great material after all this time.

DILLIGAF

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bold But Great Venture, 29 Jan 2014
Clearly a lot of people went into this expecting a typical metal gear solid game, which is not the case.

This game focuses on action, and stealth is just a boring bonus if you wish to use it.

Gameplay, visuals and audio are great. The story is a bit lacking, but with such a short game there wasn't really enough time to develop one, which seems to have been the intent of the creators anyway.

The reason I did not give this five stars was because of the camera angles and the parrying system, which when combined can be a problem. Usually it doesn't affect gameplay much, but one or two boss fights need you to parry to make them much easier.

Definitely worth getting and playing. The longer you play it, the more you'll enjoy it as you get to grips with the gameplay and upgrading.

Pump Up the Volume [DVD] [1990] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Pump Up the Volume [DVD] [1990] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Christian Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 10 Jan 2014
I read about this film in a book about The Doors by Greil Marcus, and he spoke so highly of it that I decided to hunt it down and watch it. I'm glad I did!

This film had me engrossed shortly after it started. I won't spoil much of the plot, but the protagonist really engaged me and I could relate to him, as a lot of people probably can.

All in all, this is a classic and a must-see! A malcontent youth decides to take to the radio to air his views and soon garners a lot of attention and support. Doesn't sound like much of a premise, but that's because I don't want to give too much away.

Go watch it!

Billy Idol - Live From London - No Religion Live [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Billy Idol - Live From London - No Religion Live [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Billy Idol

5.0 out of 5 stars Blends Classic Idol and Cyberpunk Together Perfectly!, 18 Nov 2013
Fans of the Cyberpunk album are few and far between, and this was definitely a low point in Billy's life and career as he struggled with drug addictions.

However this feature has a variety of 80s and 90s Idol. Not enough Cyberpunk to deter, and not too much old stuff to bore current fans. He also nods back to his Generation X days. I found it absolutely hilarious when he takes the t-shirt from a guy in the front row and wears it, despite it being drenched in the owner's sweat.

Anyway, it's always good to see new Idol footage and material surfacing. Definitely worth owning for Idol fans. If you've never seen him before and have found your way to this product due to the 2013 release date, Id implore you to check his 80s music before braving his 90s ventures.

Let the Right One in [DVD]
Let the Right One in [DVD]
Dvd ~ KŚre Hedebrant

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of Appraisal!, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Let the Right One in [DVD] (DVD)
There are already a myriad of 5-star reviews for this movie, but I have to add my own review as I really do believe this film is deserving of every bit of praise!

The plotline and structure are already well explained elsewhere, so all I can say is just get this and watch for yourself.

I was unsure at first, but by the end of the film I was captivated. It's amazing how a horror film can be humorous and heartfelt all at once!

SalÚ or the 120 Days of Sodom [DVD + Blu-ray] [1975]
SalÚ or the 120 Days of Sodom [DVD + Blu-ray] [1975]
Dvd ~ Pier Paolo Pasolini

5.0 out of 5 stars Iron Stomach and Will Pre-requisites!, 17 Oct 2013
This is a hell of a film, especially if you consider it in context. It made shockwaves in the 70s and it's not hard to see why.

There's no need for me to give details of the film itself, as its reputation precedes it, however it is definitely worth watching. Just be warned that it requires a lot of patience and tolerance to watch the full film. Also, this is not a horror or gore-type film that you would normally have on a night in with your other half. It's almost artistic in that it pushes the boundaries so far.

The only criticism I have is of the price, but I suppose for Blu-ray it's not bad. I was happy enough just to watch the standard quality, as a movie filmed in 1974 can only be improved so much in terms of picture and sound quality.

Enjoy (if you can)!

Rewind The Film
Rewind The Film

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Result From A Different Direction!, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Rewind The Film (Audio CD)
Most negative reviews of this album are pre-emptive; people need to give it more time to get over the shock of hearing something so different from the manics. This isn't the anger and despair found on GT or HB, this is a much more relaxed, nostalgic approach, which is only natural considering the band themselves are no longer the angry twenty-something's they were in 1992.

This Sullen Welsh Heart is very melodic and captured my attention from the start. I've heard a lot of people claiming it as their favourite from the album. It's hard for me to choose a favourite, but that song would be one of them. A perfect start to the album as it sets the tone and makes the listener realise that this is a very different outing for MSP.

I won't review each song individually, but if you are looking for a hint of the old manics, then check out the last song on the album, "30 Year War". It has a lot more drive behind it and may suit your tastes.

Overall, I find myself putting on this album to hear the first song and end up letting it play right through until the end. It is one of those albums that takes you on a journey. The deluxe version is worth the purchase to hear variations of the tracks and without any collaborations.

Blair Witch Project [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Blair Witch Project [DVD] [1999] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Heather Donahue
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated!, 5 Oct 2013
I had to write a review when I saw the average review for this about 4 stars - definitely an exaggeration!

The film is somewhat creepy and has suspense, but that's all. There's no substance and the end of it simply begs belief.

However I do actually implore anyone curious enough to watch it. That way, you can see for yourself that it's all hype.

If you are just looking for a decent horror, look elsewhere

White Ghosts
White Ghosts
by Will Rhode

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and Captivating!, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: White Ghosts (Paperback)
I picked this up for a quid at a second-hand bookshop, so I wasn't expecting much, but it made for a brilliant read!

The characters are all interesting, especially as chapters are told from different perspectives, allowing the reader to understand the psychology of each character. The chapters themselves are relatively short, meaning you can put down and pick up the book without losing track of the story.

The plot itself is full of twists and turns right up until the end.

I cannot elaborate further in case I spoil anything, but the Hong Kong backdrop really adds depth to the book.

An excellent read if you want something a little different!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4