Profile for Le Tigre > Reviews

Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz
Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz
by Shlomo Venezia

5.0 out of 5 stars like an animal", 13 Jun. 2015
How odd to say we "loved" a true account of someone's life in HELL. Somehow there is a lack of respect in comparing the book to Lord Of The Ring or any other book out there sold on Amazon.

I have read 10 concentration camps accounts (the most moving were Primo Levi and Robert Anthelme's books) and this one stands out because of the unique experience of the prisoner.

I find it incredible that when humans are switched in place with farm animals they are compared to or comparing themselves to animals, as in "I stood up in the train compressed with other prisoners with a dead body against me, like an animal", and then nobody thinks that treating animals like slaves or objects is wrong and demoniac in the first place.

It hurts me to hear that the Holocaust deniers are gaining popularity - possibly the early signs of a bigger Holocaust happening again in the not too distant future? Where the victims may not be Jews but non-fundamentalists? - but it hurts me even more and every day to think that humans wherever they are on the planet and whatever the century, keep having a schizophrenic morality in a vertical order with animals at the bottom then women of the world (for the women prisoners were used as sex slaves often and then during the Liberation were raped by the Soviet liberators, yes, even as skeletons), then men of different religions or race or social class and intellectual ability then at the very top: fully able men in their own world-domineering tribe. The day that animals are recognized as worthy as humans, as emotionally intelligent beings and that us, humans, are NOT more special nor unique nor better then: rape and wars will end.

As long as there will be slaughterhouses there will be wars. Leo Tolstoi.

The Ice People
The Ice People
by Rene Barjavel

5.0 out of 5 stars Never forgotten, even 30 years after first reading it., 5 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Ice People (Hardcover)
I read this book when I was 15 and back then the world of literature was a mined land for me: I knew there were universes worth exploring but more often than not I would find myself sinking in dry or overly complicated literature that I could not, given my age, relate to. I am French, grew up in Paris and went to a school with one of the best French literature teacher in the world I believe (she was awarded something by the Academie Francaise, I cannot recall what but she exerted such a fascination on pupils that some tried recording her with early versions of dictaphones under their desks). However, in the city of Culture, no one had ever mentioned the word "Barjavel" to me.. .One day, on my way home from the school, lingering in Montparnasse' s bookshops which lined the famous avenue of cafes and cinemas, I set my eyes upon "La Nuit Des Temps" by Rene Barjavel. I read the "resume" on the back cover and knew I had found something special, something unique. I looked at other books by him and every single one sounded as enchanting and strange. I bought that one and read it. I was never the same girl after. From then on I walked on air, the author had removed the boundaries of my imagination, my heart started beating fast at the hidden world behind the ordinary reality. Interestingly I remember that when I told others (teachers, pupils, bookshop owners) about my Love for Barjavel's books, all I encountered was condescending tolerance or even contempt: for science fiction does not have any roots in French literature and Barjavel's work was simply seen as amusement for the masses. I now rediscover him and after about 30 years, and many books read and films watched I still revere him as the Genius of Enchantment.

Womens Organic PEOPLES COTTON Pink Y Fronts / Knickers (12 - Medium)
Womens Organic PEOPLES COTTON Pink Y Fronts / Knickers (12 - Medium)

3.0 out of 5 stars The colours are lovely but the design are quite anti feminine and look like men's knickers, 11 Mar. 2015
I am skinny (really skinny, not just slim) and the leg holes feel tight around the thighs so I imagine that after just one 50-60 degrees machine wash the knickers would be too uncomfortable to wear.

The colours are lovely but the design are quite anti feminine and look like men's knickers! I wouldn't mind for some of my knickers but the tight leg holes are annoying so I am trying to see if I can get a refund and order large ones maybe.

1.8m High quality Mini DisplayPort (male) to HDMI (male) cable for Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro
Offered by Letpower(ISOLEM TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can watch films etc from my laptop onto my big screen ..., 9 Mar. 2015
does the job: I can watch films etc from my laptop onto my big screen TV, heaven!

Zippy Faux Leather Sofa Dog Bed - Large - Brown/Brown Jumbo Cord
Zippy Faux Leather Sofa Dog Bed - Large - Brown/Brown Jumbo Cord
Offered by Zippy-Home-Garden-Pet

2.0 out of 5 stars it looks like a nice basket, 23 Feb. 2015
is smaller than described: not 36 inches long. Is quite small and low, I thought it would be taller/higher, it looks like a nice basket, nothing more, I guess my dog will not stop using my armchair and use this "sofa", I think she will just stay on my armchair...there is no way to make her lie on the mini "sofa". Disappointed, it is so expensive.

Miele Complete C2 PowerLine Vacuum, 1600 watts, Black
Miele Complete C2 PowerLine Vacuum, 1600 watts, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I will buy another one! I want two of these, just in case in the future powerful and solid hoovers are banned (EU laws), 7 Feb. 2015
Only used it once so I might not be as objective as if I wrote this 1 year after buying it. I hope my Miele hoover will last more than a year as most electricals today last for one year and one day and break down the day after the guarantee has run out.

My observation of the Miele complete C2 PowerLine 1600 w: It is a REAL vacuum! It has a very good suction power unlike a few I have bought (I bought 3 in the past year, all over £120 and none was half as good) + the different settings (carpet, rug etc) actually work and offer subtle decrease in power, the built is solid and well designed (unlike the bag-less £120 Hoover I bought and returned recently), it is almost a pleasure to use it after a few I have tried.

Standing-up/vertical hoovers are no good for most homes as they cannot go under tables and chairs and if the floor is uneven like in my kitchen where the slate stone floor is made up of tiles all at a different height or thickness then hoovering with a vertical hoover is a waste of time: I once went over one corn flake 15 times and it still wouldn't take it, it drove me mad. So I returned it (which was a hassle as I had thrown away the packaging so had to improvise a solid and tall box which took me hours then had to find a pick and collect shop -of course they close at weekends).

This vacuum is a proper vacuum, I will never go back to bag-less hoovers or anything else (think mites or fleas jumping out of the bag as you empty it). Miele is also a good brand for electricals. I bought a washing machine a few years back, Miele, top of the range and price and I don't regret it, it works perfectly eventhough I use it 3 times a day.

Hoover Whrilwind 2100 WATT 260 AIRWATTS (New for 2014) WHS2102 with pets tool -High Power Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner HEPA filter ALL floors -3L bin, lightweight, 6 metre cord

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, just a pretty gadget!, 3 Feb. 2015
Stopped hoovering dust after using it for 3 weeks, about 6 times.

The hoover is weak on suction power, it makes noise yes but go down on the floor and look closely: dust and hair is still there. I emptied and cleaned all parts of the filter and no difference. I therefore use only the tube / hose now, having to squat down to point the tube everywhere sweeping the floor with it which is hard work and takes 2 hours, an then the hoover falls on top of me.

The cable is always in your way, being a magnet for dust and hair and the flexible hose where the air goes in somehow does not stay anywhere but falls on the floor catching all the dirt.

All in all a big WASTE of money! I will have to pay the council to pick it up and buy another one, this time one with bags so that dust mites or fleas do not escape ! I have an allergy to something in the house, my skin gets stung and burnt and I now need to hoover everyday, however with this gadget I will have to live with the allergens and lose sleep as well as money.

See on the pictures: after going that area of the floor for 15 minutes, again and again over the same area, trying all the "carpet" positions on the hoover head, I looked down closely at the floor and SEE! Dust is still there! Dogs hair and the foundation powder that fell from my bag this morning!
Comment Comment | Permalink

If This Is a Man / The Truce
If This Is a Man / The Truce
by Primo Levi

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bible on Humanity by a unique soul., 25 Jan. 2015
I read those books in French which is closer to his original Italian version, in style and emotional accuracy, than in English.

It is the 2 most important books I have read so far, alongside with The Human Specie By Robert Anthelme.

The human mind and heart are exposed naked and I consider those 3 books as my Bible on humanity, both beautiful and dark and demonic.
Primo Levi's unparalleled self-honesty gave him extraordinary lucidity and accuracy in observing and then telling the individual fates of the people he met and also the darkest ignorance he encountered in the shape of the Nazi system and other ruthless opportunists within the camps.
Every sentence was a diamond to read, I could cut out many sentences and frame them then hang them up on my wall. I believe his dedication to Truth and therefore self-honesty enabled him to pass onto us this universal Treasure.

I cannot believe his books are not compulsory readings in History classes at secondary schools everywhere in Europe, when the UK for example chooses in its teaching of WW2 to focus intensely on the strategic development of the war, bypassing the causes that led to the systematic suppression of humans on an industrial scale: the blind obedience to authority and servility, as Primo Levi clearly identifies it in his 2 books. Without disobedience and a critical mind that seeks freedom outside of its society, every human can easily be reduced to a torturer and killer, as the SS who were arrested and questioned during the post-war tribunals: "I only obeyed direct orders" were the repeated excuses of the Nazis, accused of Genocide. They did not understand how they could have been part of a normal society for many years then all of the sudden cast as evil killers.

Primo Levi committed suicide eventually and I will never stop to ask myself WHY. Did he find it impossible to escape the "enemy within" as he put it: the camp terror, the horrific Void? Or could he not cope with life or people's mediocrity in times of "peace" after such extreme events, as I heard a WW2 survivor mention once on a TV documentary? Or did he feel he could not explain to people what he had seen and been subjected to? Or did he feel guilty of being one of the 3 survivors out of 600 deportees in his extradition?

I wish we had more Primo Levi-s in our society, brave, humble, pure souls, uncorruptible.

DiatomPest® Pest Grade Diatomaceous Earth 2kg
DiatomPest® Pest Grade Diatomaceous Earth 2kg

1.0 out of 5 stars house looking like Pompei and 2 new broken hoovers, 13 Jan. 2015
I dusted this earth all over the carpet in 2 bedrooms, in corners of the living room and on cushions (under their covers) and waited 2 days to hoover and the result:

- impossible to hoover. the dust which I applied using a table spoon to dig in and drop heaps and clumps of dust everywhere stays in the carpet. I broke in 20 minutes 2 powerful hoovers bought 5 months ago at £199 each, they gave a loud bee-like noise and stopped working. The dust had gone in the motor engine and they are each covered in fine dust, as well as my lungs:

- I cough and feel like I have been in a fire inhaling smoke, burning chest, I will seek medical advice and if there is problem I will sue the manufacturer. This is mineral dust, in all other industries mineral dust is classified as dangerous and cancerous. The hoovering created a very fine dust very likely highly aggressive to the lungs. (for the record I did not sleep in the heavily dusted rooms ie the bedrooms).

- The carpet cannot be clean so I will lose my £800 deposit

- I threw away the whole bed, mattress and frame included after I could not remove the dust from the mattress (I had put dust between the mattress and the waterproof covers on each side to remove dust mites stinging me in bed).

- the dust has traveled to every object in the house, books, tv etc.

- I still have dust mites.

The worst decision of my life.

Yarrah Dog Chicken Pate 400G
Yarrah Dog Chicken Pate 400G
Offered by Supply Me Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Dec. 2014
perfect service (and dogs love the food).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5