ARRAY(0xb057de10)

Rachel's Holiday
by Marian Keyes
Price: 7.91

4.0 out of 5 stars I too want to go to this Rehab place!, 19 Dec 2009
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
Funnily enough, half way through her ordeal at the Cloisters, I found myself longing for a place where the whole day we d be talking about our dark secrets and childhood. Even with the brown jumper weirdos. Ok, maybe not sharing bedrooms with them.

What I loved most about the book was the psychology. The talent of Marian Keyes for scanning details of all her moods and thoughts, even very intimate ones. I admire her use of the character's biased perception of reality to manipulate us...anyway, cant say too much otherwise it will spoil the new readers' fun.

I am as always impressed by the writer's self knowledge and honesty. I d give anything to have her as a friend or a sister.

The bits I didnt enjoy though, were anecdotes of one the Real Men having tattoo done and...I surprised myself, all Rachel's fascination for sex (strange, as I usually enjoy sex anedoctes!) and desperate flirting. I sometimes felt myself cringing at her hard attempt at seductions.I thought "O come on, you re so shallow".
But then it made sense of course. Clever Marian Keyes.

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: 16.60

3.0 out of 5 stars not my favourite but refreshing, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Hardcover)
I think Kinsella courageously explored a new theme: ghost stories and I wasn't let down by her talent. However I found the tensions from her early books weren't there or as strong as they used to be...saying that I did laugh a few times, she knows how to insert cheeky and unexpected thoughts.

How to Kill Your Husband (and Other Handy Household Hints)
How to Kill Your Husband (and Other Handy Household Hints)
by Kathy Lette

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 20 Jun 2009
Don't believe some of the negative feedbacks here.
I too wasn't getting into the story for the first, say, 25 pages, but as the story unfolded itself, I got addicted to reading it.
My first Ketty Lette and for sure, not my last.

After Ever After
After Ever After
by Rowan Coleman
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 25 May 2009
This review is from: After Ever After (Paperback)
I can only recommend this book. don't judge it by its cover, it's not a cheesy/holiday read, even though it reads easily.

I was moved and loved the main character's self analysis, which gets you to often smile and sometimes shout "me too!". it was moving, touching, funny and captivating.

The Language of the Goddess: Unearthing the Hidden Symbols of Western Civilization
by Marija Gimbutas
Price: 15.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-read for every woman, 23 Feb 2009
I firmly believe this should be compulsory reading in high schools so that girls build a strong sense of self the same way that boys do so surrounded by the male historic and spiritual values of our modern society.

It is slightly frustrating, to say the least, that thousand year old civilisations centered around feminine spirituality have just disintegrated.

Growing Up Twice
Growing Up Twice
by Rowan Coleman
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic. A liberated account of three women's lives., 23 Feb 2009
This review is from: Growing Up Twice (Paperback)
A liberated account of three women's lives.

the characters stuck with me even a week after I read the book. I am impressed by the accute sense of psychology the author displays.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4