Profile for Amber > Reviews

Ten pm Question, The
Ten pm Question, The
by Kate De Goldi

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie... you are a treasure, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Ten pm Question, The (Paperback)
I loved Frankie so much I'm in mourning because I've finished the book. This is a coming of age story which reminds us what it is like to be 12, full of fear, hope, dreams, agonies and also what it is like to love and yet be mortally embarrassed by your family at times. Its affectionate and yet strangely searing at times. Its gone straight to the shelf of books I keep to re read in my dotage. Pure genius Kate de Goldi. Thank you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2010 8:59 PM BST

The Personal History of Rachel DuPree
The Personal History of Rachel DuPree
by Ann Weisgarber

5.0 out of 5 stars Savoured every word..., 17 Jun. 2009
Just sometimes I read a book which makes me slow up and savour every word and this was one of them. I have a shelf of books which I keep to re read one day in my dotage and this is definitely heading for it. It explores vast ideas of love, life, motherhood, American cultural history and a whole lot more in beautifully understated language. A brilliant story which sears images into your head which will stay there. The opening sequence picture of the little girl and the well is poignant beyond belief... prepare to be hooked in from page one. Loved it.

PS I read the comment saying it was like Catherine Cookson's writing and I couldn't disagree more... The Personal History of Rachel DuPree is intelligent writing for readers who like space to imagine for themselves and to identify their own poignancies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2011 4:27 PM GMT

The Colour
The Colour
by Rose Tremain

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it..., 16 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Colour (Paperback)
If you have been to New Zealand or are thinking of going, this book gives a vivid fictional account of what it might have been like to arrive on its shores 150 years ago. This is beautiful writing even if it is harsh and quite unpalatable in places. It paints such a thought provoking picture, it had me reflecting on it for weeks after I had finished it. If you are expecting a happy family saga you will be disappointed but if you enjoy reading about the human element of history, you will love it.

Atonement [DVD] [2007]
Atonement [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight into my Top Ten, 25 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Atonement [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Armed with reticence when watching a film having already read the book, I sat down to it with my expectations on the low side. No fan of period drama at the best of times, my heart initially sank when I heard the grating tone of the upper class accents. However, after the first 10 minutes I was totally drawn in and left my preconceptions behind. So much so that I wept like a baby at the ending - even though I knew what was coming from having read the book. Must confess, I didn't like Vanessa Redgrave at the end. Her Hollywood teeth made her character of an elderly English woman quite unbelievable. However, I didn't allow this to spoil my overall enjoyment of the film. Went to sleep last night thinking about this film and woke up thinking about it again this morning! What more can I say? Shot straight into my top ten films ever...

SwitchEasy RunAway for iPod - Black. Compatible With NIKE+
SwitchEasy RunAway for iPod - Black. Compatible With NIKE+

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., 9 Nov. 2007
I've used my SwitchEasy for 12 months now without a problem. I run alot on the beach and it stays dry too. Marvellous!

The Highest Tide
The Highest Tide
by Jim Lynch

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want to understand something about boys, read this book..., 26 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Highest Tide (Paperback)
A book to be read and savoured. Its not intended for the reader who relies on plot and drama for fulfilment, (although there is plenty of action), but rather for those who love to read beautifully drawn character driven story lines. I understood a little bit more about boyhood after reading this and I would love to have a boy like Miles. I just loved it.

The Promise Of Happiness
The Promise Of Happiness
by Justin Cartwright

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, perceptive, illuminating..., 27 Aug. 2006
If you are a traditionalist and like story telling with a straight forward construction told in the past tense, you will hate this book! It is undoubtedly challenging as it jumps from the first to the third person from one paragraph to the next and the author interrupts at times too. It is basically about the sheer magical fascination of ordinary family life and I loved it. It smacks of reality and is poignant without stooping to the manipulative emotional hand wringing seen in so much contemporary writing. Highly recommended to anyone interested in human interaction and what might motivate behaviour.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2009 1:18 PM GMT