Profile for Mr. A. Peters > Reviews

God Bless the NHS
God Bless the NHS
by Roger Taylor
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor and misleading - read 'NHS SOS' instead, 3 July 2013
This review is from: God Bless the NHS (Paperback)
'...In order to know where we are going, we need to know where we are.
And order to know where we are, we need to know where we come from...'
Julian Tudor Hart (2008) Lecture

(available on You Tube)

I am not sure what is more dismaying; Roger Taylor's work, or the high ratings given by so many of the reviewers on this page. I do wonder what exactly Taylor is trying to achieve here.
The NHS is the means by which the English people look after each others health. This is not an 'emotional attachment', it is a rather obvious practical necessity - or at least it should be obvious.
Another obvious fact is that we all, at some point in our lives will become ill, and require medical attention.

*I would not want to be denied healthcare. I know that my life has no more value than another persons, so I would not want anyone to be denied healthcare either.

The NHS is based on Dorling and Shaws 'Positive Care Law' (Google Scholar). The Positive Care Law demonstrates the essential decency of human nature. It needs to be said that this is not romanticizing people. People look after each other because they know this is the only way that they can ensure that they will be looked after. It is a pragmatic response. In 1948 the NHS represented this response to health needs in a higher form by radically bringing a patchwork of private provision and charity into a unified system of planned healthcare delivery.

The result, despite right wing propaganda to the contrary, was an exceptionally efficient healthcare system (see Guillbaud report 1956 - [...]), as compared to other systems.
One gauge of a a health systems efficiency is the level of internal transaction costs (admin costs). In 1990 the UK NHS system had admin costs of 6%, which equates to 6billion from a 100 billion budget, and had the lowest running overall costs of any western system. This was due to the NHS operating as a 'Gift Economy' where market forces were pushed to the periphery, and where no one knew the price of anything.

Post 1990 saw the Internal Market (Via Thatcher) which turned hospitals into independent businesses, in which clinical staff were increasingly forced to prioritize commercial considerations before clinical ones. Pre 1990, thatcher had bought in a supermarket man to bring his wisdom acquired through running supermarkets...to running the NHS. If you cannot see what is wrong with this then you may as well put your head in an oven. Sorry.
Cleaning was outsourced to contract firmed which removed the control over hygiene from nurses. A huge rise in infections then resulted.
The internal market saw a rise in transaction costs (lawyer's bills, accountancy bills, invoicing etc.. ) moving the Admin costs from 6% to 10-12% by 1997. This move to an US healthcare system (officially planned in 1987 see - Julian Tudor Harts 1994 article 'A Plot Exists' [...])which ultimately will lead over time to similar administration costs of the US system (20-30% representing 20-30 billion from a 100 billion budget.
This is the economic argument. The clinical argument against privatization is that commercial considerations distort clinical decisions. Evidence for this abounds in the US. Doctors there are forced to serve the hospitals need to generate income. The result is that people receive treatments, (operations, investigations etc..) that they do not need.
Also the lack of comprehensive coverage has lead to huge rates of bankruptcies in the US (see Michael Moore's film 'Sicko'- [...])- This is all in a system that costs twice as much to run per capital as the UK system.

I could go on - but I don't want to write a book!

Taylor is not an expert in his field. Will have learned more in my review than will through reading Taylor's book. He fails totally to provide the reading public with the information/concepts they need to understand the situation.
Also it seems to be lost on Taylor the fact that people are going to die as a result of the NHS's destruction. This is real and a lot of suffering will result. We need writing that demystifies and informs. The best current book out there is 'NHS SOS' by Jackie Davis et al. (2013).

All I can do is to ask you to please read the following authors -

'NHS SOS' Dr Jackie Davis (2013)A current work designed to inform the public of the 'reforms' history, mobilize the public behind the NHS Reinstatement Act drafted by Prof Allyson Pollock and David Price, and taken to the House of Commons by Lord Owen this Spring. The Act supported by Owen is designed to reinstate the legal duty upon the Secretary of State to provide universal equitable health care for the population.

Allyson Pollocks seminal 'NHS Plc' (2006)
Plot Against NHS Stewart Player

'The Plot Against the NHS' by Colin Leys and Stuart Player (2011)
Plot Against NHS Stewart Player

Julian Tudor Harts work -
Political Economy Health Care Society

John Lister's Work
Health Policy Reform Management Educatio

The first two are aimed at the Public - the last two are more challenging but are worth working at
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2013 12:00 PM BST

Walden
Walden
by Henry David Thoreau
Price: 10.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest book to come out of America, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Walden (Paperback)
Be warned...this book is a slow read. And I do mean slow.
As thoreau said, people must put the same time and effort into reading a book as the author put into writing it.
It took me six months to read two thirds of the book,
pretty much most days I worked at it. Rarely out of my hand.
The book is basically one great poem.
Until I came across this book I was reading mostly rubbish.
and I knew nothing.
It opened my eyes and changed me on so many levels.
It enabled me to see through the life of careers and aquisition
and achieve a profound connection with nature

I say 'greatest book from America' because I cannot imagine any other book
being powerful enough to have such a life changing impact

He said he regetted that he did not have the wisdom of his youth.
I thank god that I discovered this when I was young.

'Life is full of traps...
Every path but your own is the path of fate...
Stick to your own path then.'

A Lively Flame: Inspirations on Love and Relationships
A Lively Flame: Inspirations on Love and Relationships
by Eileen Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars a lively flame, 27 July 2010
This book saved my life.

In my mid twenties I fell in love with a beautiful Danish woman and spent the following months in a totally bemused state wondering what had happend to me. Then from across the street in Colchester I saw the spine of a little red book on the shelf of a secondhand book store. I do not believe I even could make out the title from the road, but something made my feet move into the shop and my hands pick up the book and open its pages.

The idea of 'love' is so distorted by the media that few people really understand it. Films and popular music are full of stories of people falling and being in love, yet this so called 'love' is essentially selfish, and the total opposite of real or love.

The book is a wonderful collection of quotes from poets, holy people and the greatest psychologists. I have bought a number of books on the strength of one quote found in 'A Lively Flame', the main one for me being 'The Psychology of Romantic Love' by Robert A Johnson.

Everyone should have this book. So buy it and read it.
This may sound airy fairy to some but love CAN cure all problems in relationships. It's a hard road to walk but if understood and taken to heart it can lead to a large degree of wisdom peace and happiness.

Thanks for reading - Enjoy

Walden and Civil Disobedience: (American Library)
Walden and Civil Disobedience: (American Library)
by Henry David Thoreau
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars life in the woods, 14 Dec 2008
Up until the age of twenty one I was reading all soerts of random rubbish. Then I chanced upon 'Life in the woods',and that was it. It changed my life and my outlook completely, in so many ways. He taught me to open my eyes and 'see' nature. Powerful writing.

adam