Profile for Hel S > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Winter Carols
Winter Carols

1.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 25 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Winter Carols (Audio CD)
With so many religious carol recordings around why couldn't they have taken a look through Norman Iles' "Pagan Carols Restored" and put some of his alternatives to song? It would have had a little more point than this sad offering. And a tad more in keeping with Blackmore's Night as a band.

They could have done so much and yet the did so little. Very disappointed.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 12:31 AM BST

Easy Vegan Cooking: Over 350 delicious recipes for every ocassion: Over 350 Delicious Recipes for Every Occasion
by Leah Leneman

1.0 out of 5 stars An awful book, 19 Nov. 2007
This recipe book has to be the worst in my collection. After cooking about half a dozen meals from it I gave up. True, everything is simple, but simple to the point of bland and boring. I found that I had to revise each and every dish in order to get something with a bit of taste to it. And sometimes the quantities were extremely bizarre; one recipe requires 1lb of potatoes yet states it is suitable for one person - only someone with a huge appetite who has had their taste buds removed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2010 12:07 AM BST

Westler [DVD]
Westler [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sigurd Rachman

3.0 out of 5 stars weird, confusing but rather sweet, 29 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Westler [DVD] (DVD)
I was confused by the beginning of the film when the West Berliner was in LA with his friend Bruce...how would the East Berliner come to be there??? Perhaps that was the point - he could never be there.

Onwards to Berlin and Bruce wants to cross the wall and have a look at East Berlin. The actual shots in the East were taken with a super-8 camera sans sound, so we see a lot, but hear nothing but the tinny (terrible) music as the two go about their sightseeing. The part were the two protagonists see each other and ultimately meet were rather bizarre I found, and a bit cringeworthy.

Getting over my confusion as to exactly what was happening and why, this film is important in a historical context; it shows how East and West differed, how it might be difficult even for a West Berliner to keep on going over to the other side and, ultimately, it tells us just exactly what people were prepared to do to escape.

The plot is very basic and there is a lack of sophistication in this film which is both endearing and irritating. It stands as a good reminder to those of us who do have the freedom to move around as we will that not everyone is as lucky. Otherwise, it's a bit lacking.

Create a Cottage Garden: Recipes for Borders, Beds and Containers
Create a Cottage Garden: Recipes for Borders, Beds and Containers
by Kathleen Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 July 2005
I got this book out of the library several months ago, but had to return it because someone else wanted it. I've been looking for a copy ever since.
It's an excellent book for those of us who need a helping hand to plan our cottage gardens. Here, complete with beautiful illustrations, is the answer. Kathleen brown guides us bit by bit around the garden, encouraging us to deal with one small area at a time rather than expecting us to be able to do everything at once.
There are ideas on what to plant in front of a small wall, or round the door, or to cover a bare wall, etc etc.
A wonderful book.

Landscape and Nature: The Definitive Guide for Serious Digital Photographers (Digital Photography Expert)
by Michael Freeman

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Book, 30 Jun. 2005
I wanted a book that would advise me technically on how to take good landscape and nature pictures.
Alas, this book isn't it. Instead the entire book is dedicated at how to compose a picture and little else. It is also interspersed with quotes from a number of of people, none of which I felt had any great relevance to the actual subject matter of the book.
A lot of the pictures weren't that great, in my opinion, and the reproduction quality wasn't good. There was no technical data whatsoever, such as type of lens,aperture etc. which would have given the book at least some point.
This book says it is for serious digital photographers. No. This is for the complete beginner who has no idea about photography. A complete waste of money.
It got one star because I had to give it.
The entire book seemed like the author was just wallowing for the fun of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2010 7:54 PM GMT

Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series)
Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series)
by Andy Rouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy!, 13 Dec. 2004
This is a fantastic book. I originally got it out of the library when I was thinking of buying a D-SLR, and now I have bought one this book is my number 1 choice. It is extremely simple to understand - deceptively so, because it goes into so much detail with regards not only to taking pictures, but what to do once you've done so. What Andy calls the "Digital Darkroom", saving, downloading, printing.
For amateurs this book lets us into the world of pro photography, and for those of us who have previously owned film SLRs breaks us in gently to this new technology.
An absolutely brilliant book, which I can't imagine being without. And the pictures are to die for.

Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
by Dorothy Rowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 25 Oct. 2004
The most important part of this book is the way Ms Rowe explains the many reasons why we build our prisons in the first place, rather than spending endless chapters telling people what to do about it. I feel that some of the previous reviewers have missed the point somewhat in this respect. For me, the absence of such chapters was refreshing. She is firmly putting the responsibility back with us, the 'victims', and this is how I feel she differs from other writers/psychoanalists. By doing so she removes us from the victim mentality of the "It's not my fault, I can't do anything about it, I must be helped" scenario. Why does every book about depression have to be full of 'things to do'? (Told to us by other people, of course)
This book is about changing the way you think about yourself and your feelings. And once you have done that, it is so much easier to change, and to knock down your prison walls. It has inspired me and I feel a different person because of it. I thoroughly recommend it.
I have moved on to reading another of her books 'Beyond Fear', and would also recommend that book. It goes into further detail about how our valid and normal reactions to events are manipulated by others so that we become victims. Scary and thought provoking.

How to Be a Gardener: Secrets of Success (Book Two)
How to Be a Gardener: Secrets of Success (Book Two)
by Alan Titchmarsh

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 12 Sept. 2004
As with Book 1, I found the second in the series an excellent read and extremely helpful. Book 1 gave you the basic knowledge, this one helps you put it into practice. Alan is good at making suggestions for planning your garden, but gives you enough space to apply the principles to your own garden, without feeling you're straying from what is 'right'. Buy this together with Book 1, and you can't go wrong.
Excellent book.

How to Be a Gardener: Back to Basics (Book One)
How to Be a Gardener: Back to Basics (Book One)
by Alan Titchmarsh

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 12 Sept. 2004
This is a truly wonderful book. It starts at square one and goes through all the very basic things you need to know about gardening. Amalgamating information that one normally finds dotted about a dozen different books, it really helps to get you on your way. Other books confuse, this one gently guides.
Highly recommended. As is Book 2, and I would suggest buying both.

HP 57 - Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge (C6657AE)
HP 57 - Tri-color Inkjet Print Cartridge (C6657AE)
Offered by Retro Rebel Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars ?, 12 Sept. 2004
What can I say? It's ink. It fits the printer. And it prints. :)
One thing though - when the printer tells you you need more ink, or else!, ignore it. I bought ink many weeks ago because of this message warning me that print quality would diminish if I didn't renew immediately. I didn't, it hasn't and I still haven't changed the cartridge.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11