Profile for Book Angel > Reviews

Content by Book Angel

Book Angel "Book Angel" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Food Lover's Guide to the Gourmet Secrets of Rome
The Food Lover's Guide to the Gourmet Secrets of Rome
by Diane Seed

1.0 out of 5 stars Obselete and misleading description, 12 July 2014
Bought this which I believed was an updated edition from the one I purchased in about 2006. In fact it does not seem to be updated at all and despite saying it has a 2010 publication date, that is clearly nonsense - the book's title page makes it clear it was published in 2006! Very out of date. Several places reviewed here seem to be non-existent. Dont waste your money!

The Uninvited Guests
The Uninvited Guests
by Sadie Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and gripping, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Uninvited Guests (Paperback)
Downton Abbey its not. Forget about ghastly stereotypes and predictable "spot it coming a mile off" plot lines. This is a really clever, imaginative and totally gripping story about an Edwardian country house full of people in crisis in different and surprising ways. Parts are deliberately creepy but not in an obvious or explicit way - its subtle and pleasantly surprising. Other parts are very funny. One of the newpaper reviews said it was a "Midsummer Night's Dream of a story" and that its actually a wonderful description. Its not too heavy going at all - I got enthralled about half way through and had to read the whole second half one evening, which I did easily. I loved it. As long as you are not expecting a period drama with "lovely frocks" then you probably will too!

The Last Summer
The Last Summer
by Judith Kinghorn

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Last Summer (Paperback)
This goes down as one of the greats. Birdsong from a female character's point of view. Some of the other reviewers have given excellent synopses so I will limit myself to saying that its a captivating story and absolutely beautifully written. Some sad bits and yet an uplifting read. Very highly recommended.

Fujifilm FinePix L55 Digital Camera - White (12MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.4 inch LCD Screen

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned - infuriating product description and communication, 15 May 2012
I am giving this item one star for one very simple reason: It arrived and had no memory at all. That is, no built in memory and no memory card. I could live with that except that when I tried to research which, of the many hundreds of cards are on offer, would be compatible with this camera, I could get NO SENSE from this website or from the Fuji website (which does not even appear to mention this model of camera let alone give any guidance on which memory card to buy!) I tried looking at Fuji cards on this website and could find NONE with a reference to this camera model. COME ON GUYS -ITS NOT THAT HARD! How about communciating to customers about what they actually need to buy to get this frickin camera working. I am seriously fed up and can offer no advice to anyone about which memory card to buy because I haven't yet worked it out...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2012 11:36 AM BST

The Crimson Rooms
The Crimson Rooms
by Katharine McMahon

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top reads in the last 5 years, 5 April 2012
This review is from: The Crimson Rooms (Paperback)
I am ranking this as one of my top reads in recent history. Its a gripping story and not just your typical murder mystery. The plot line really has a great deal going on. There are several different sub-stories and yet it never feels as if you cannot keep up, such is the skill of the author. I felt desperately sad when I got to the end. Crying out for a sequel if you ask me!

The Hand That First Held Mine
The Hand That First Held Mine
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, Unforgettable, 5 April 2012
I read this almost a year ago and cannot stop thinking about it. There is one event in the book that made a huge impression on me as a young mother. I don't want to spoil the story so I won't go into much detail about the plot. All I want to say is that its a clever and intriguing story and written in a nice fresh style. I couldn't put it down and dearly wish there was more of it.

Snowdrops
Snowdrops
by A. D. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding and Surprising, 23 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Snowdrops (Paperback)
I was incredibly impressed with this novel. The author has a beautiful turn of phrase and the story was basically a real page turner which I had to force myself to put down to save some for another day. Its not quite as appears from the blurb on the back, which doesn't do it justice. Its not a trasher thriller in the way portrayed. Its an intriguing story with lots of really interesting observations about people. life and modern Russia along the way. Most of all, he captures perfectly the vibe of Russia in the late 1990s (I was there I can tell you its spot on) and the complex personality and pysche of the modern Russian. I love the way he has his characters use supposedly old Russian sayings. I have adopted many of them and use them all the time. "The only place you get free cheese is in a mousetrap". Brilliant. More sinister: "No person, no problem". One of my top 10 books ever.

WeeRide Classic Front Mounted Children's Safest Bike Seat, Ages 1-4
WeeRide Classic Front Mounted Children's Safest Bike Seat, Ages 1-4

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a safe idea at all, 22 Aug. 2011
I bought one of these and quite aside for the problems we had attaching it to the bike, it just wasn't a good idea. Any "minor" topple could result in serious injury to the young passenger and there is no way around that. Used it about 3 times and then put it in the skip.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2013 1:29 PM BST

Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner For Every Floor Type (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but one of the best on the market, 21 Aug. 2011
Advantages: The motor is AWESOME. No other brand has power like this. Also very light to push. The hose thing is quite good for cleaning under things (although I am not convinced the suction power coming through the hose is as good as the main suction system).

Disadvantages: Rubber strip at front tends to push larger bits of dirt away (i.e. so machine never actually runs over them and sucks them up). If my son walks in gravel from outside I tends to push it around the wooden floor a bit which is frustrating. The height of the unit is a bit too high to get under the kitchen cupboards to clean up to the skirting board. A surprising design fault really.

Overall excellent on carpet but not 100% on hard floors. The design faults on hard floors are not limited to this model. They are problems with most "upright" style machines. If I could have my time again, I think I would opt for a Dyson brand cylinder vacuum cleaner rather than an Upright.

Willow Cat Carrier And Basket
Willow Cat Carrier And Basket

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant cat carrier and bed, 21 Aug. 2011
I wasn't too sure about this but decided it was better to spend a bit more money on a nice looking cat carrier rather than have one of those ugly metal cage things lying around. I am happy with the product. I have used it to take the kittens to the vet and it was good. I take the door off and they happily get in and go to sleep (although a reasonably thick blanket is needed as the wicker is a bit bumpy). An unexepected benefit is that the kittens like mountaineering up the side of it and sitting on top! Its large enough for two kittens but once they grow a bit it really will only be suitable to carry or accommodate one cat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3