Profile for Y. Jones > Reviews

Content by Y. Jones

Y. Jones "devonshire lass" (Barnstaple, Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Widow of Borley
The Widow of Borley
by Robert Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking view, but one-sided., 22 May 2011
This review is from: The Widow of Borley (Hardcover)
Considering that the author is described as a professional writer, I cannot help but think that this book has been written in a rather unprofessional manner. When this book was published, Marianne - the subject of the book - was still alive and some of the remarks about her and others are nothing short of potentially libellous. He has the attitude of 'my theory is what happened and everyone else must be stupid or lying'. The real truth is, nobody will ever know what really happened at Borley, as the witnesses are all dead. Any thories on this incredible and complex case are purely speculation. The author does, however, make some valid points during the course of the book but these are overshadowed by his accusations. They may well be true of course but there is no solid proof for any of his theories and the whole book is very one-sided, rather than providing a well-balanced representation of the subject. I have given this book three stars because of the valid points that the author has made along the way, but a little less vitriol towards the subject and other key players in the story would have made for much better reading. He even launches an attack on the 'farcical' Society for Psychical Research, a much respected British institution that has existed for well over 100 years. This book is well worth a read, but with the knowledge that nobody really knows what went on at the Rectory and this book is purely speculative, despite the author's views.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as fraud" - C.G. Jung
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2012 6:50 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just one thing missing....., 26 Oct 2009
The only thing that slightly lets this down is the phrase 'I ain't gettin' on no plane you crazy fool'........

Otherwise a great laugh and worth the money!

Endless Ocean (Wii)
Endless Ocean (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC
Price: 19.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game!, 26 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Endless Ocean (Wii) (Video Game)
I bought this game as I had read good reviews about it being relaxing to play etc; I have a stressful job (who doesn't?!) and really wanted something to help me chill out at the end of the day and this didn't disappoint. The first thing you notice when you load the game is the music - I'm not a fan of Hayley Westenra at all but the music fitted so nicely into the game. It doesn't play all the time, so you get to experience the very realistic sound of being underwater and hearing your character's own breathing underwater. You also get to swim with dolphins and train them, you get set assignments, species to find and you get requests from people wanting you to take them on a dive. The other good thing about this is that you are never in any danger, so while that is potentially a little unrealistic, it's not a bad thing, so you can swim around knowing that you're not suddenly going to get harpooned or attacked by a shark etc as would happen with other games. If your air supply runs low, your diving session automatically ends. Not the most exciting of games for anyone who likes shoot em ups, but it's great way to relax and unwind, highly recommended to anyone who wants a bit of escapism!

Bottom - Series 3 [DVD]
Bottom - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrian Edmonson
Price: 6.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally underrated!, 18 Sep 2008
This review is from: Bottom - Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I cannot watch these two without dissolving into laughter, it's not just the toilet humour but everything about this show, the slapstick, the ridiculous names, the looks, the set and the sheer silliness of it all, it's true escapism, and I have to say, totally harmless(!) - they weren't trying to make a statement when they made Bottom (about from perhaps trying to prove that fart jokes are still funny - they would be correct in that assumption as well), it just seems that they made Bottom because they enjoyed it and wanted others to enjoy it as well. Unlike some of the more aggressive and dark comedies that are being written nowadays that actually make you feel quite uncomfortable at times, this is just sheer slapstick and daftness that will never fail to make you giggle. I agree with the previous reviews that said about Bottom not being mentioned when people talk about Fawlty Towers and Monty Python etc, these two should be up there with the greats. For me personally, series 3 is my favourite, just because I think it's actually the funniest of all three series, and unlike other comedies, they didn't commit the faux pas of dragging the series on up until season 15,000,000, they followed the '3 series' rule and left the audience wanting more. Those who wanted more could go and see the stage shows like I did. And of course, who could forget the cattle prod halloween incident(s), or the sight of Ade Edmondson in a purple sequinned dress and wig with his 'jugs on the wrong way round' and garish red lipstick all over his face, whilst struggling to walk in high heels.... I don't think I'll be forgetting that image in a hurry...........genius!

Hunting High And Low
Hunting High And Low
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaah, memories.........., 9 Sep 2008
This review is from: Hunting High And Low (Audio CD)
Ok, I'll admit it, I love A-Ha, even now. This album was released when I was about 5 and my sister, 5 years older than me, had this on cassette and I can remember we both played it to death, with the result that listening to it now conjures up some really lovely memories of my childhood. But anyway.....yes, there are some undoubtedly cheesy 80s songs on here such as (which I think has been mentioned before) 'The Blue Sky' and 'Love is Reason' but even now, the classics such as 'Take on Me' and 'The Sun Always Shines on TV' still bring a tingle to the spine because they have been really well produced and there is a great use of synthesisers in there (do I detect a Fairlight in there somewhere - ultra ultra expensive early sampling synth with a really unusual sound, used by Art of Noise a lot). When compared to some of the other 80s albums by other artists, this does stand out - or I could just be biased!

Guest House Paradiso [DVD] [1999]
Guest House Paradiso [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Rik Mayall
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you have a strong stomach........................., 13 July 2008
Firstly, this is a funny film. This made me laugh all the way through until........you guessed it, the food poisoning scene which, even as someone who has followed the careers of these two from The Young Ones and been to the stage shows, I have to say, I found it too much to watch; even though it was comedy vomiting it went on for too long and made me feel quite ill after watching it! If you can stick it though, it's a great film, so I'm not giving it the thumbs down, just a warning to those of a nervous disposition!

This Is the Life
This Is the Life
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good album! (Couldn't think of a better title, sorry!), 25 Jan 2008
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I've heard in ages - not much to say other than that really, except I'm looking forward to her next release! My favourite has to be the cutting 'Footballer's Wife tells her trouble and strife, thinks she's some kind of star, yes you know who you are..........'! The songs are mainly upbeat and have lyrics that the listener can associate with, whilst not being too aggressive or in - your - face. Definitely one to watch out for.

Made of Bricks
Made of Bricks
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 3.27

1.0 out of 5 stars This artist IS copying Lily Allen - badly!, 24 Jan 2008
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
I'm sorry, but Kate Nash couldn't be more obviously trying to copy Lily Allen if she tried - it's just a rip off, and 'Foundations' or whatever it's called has to be one of the most annoying songs ever written. She'd have done better as a contestant on 'Stars In Their Eyes'......as Lily Allen! Sorry all you KN fans out there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 3:58 PM GMT

Motorola V3i - Sim Free Mobile Phone
Motorola V3i - Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Book Seashore
Price: 63.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy phone, unreliable., 2 Sep 2007
I bought this phone just before christmas, as I'd wanted one for ages. Don't be fooled by its good looks. True, this phone really looks the part, but within a couple of days the LCD display on the outside of the phone had cracked (and I look after my phones!), and I've had no end of problems with the phone deleting numbers from the memory and I've had to keep an address book in my bag with everyone's numbers in just in case I need to contact someone and the number's been deleted. Also, the battery life is terrible, lasting maybe a couple of days with even light use, and the ringtones are really chavvy.
I'm not a mobile phone anorak or anything like that, but I do like them to be practical and stand up to everyday life, and I'm really disappointed with this one. From now on it's back to good old Nokia for me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2007 2:24 AM GMT

BaByliss 8059U Quiet Bubble Jet Spa
BaByliss 8059U Quiet Bubble Jet Spa

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, lovely, lovely! Every home should have one!, 21 Aug 2007
I decided to splash out (get it?! Sorry.....) and buy this, based on the reviews on this site and I wasn't disappointed - this is REALLY good value for money, and if you're unable to buy a spa bath then this really is a great alternative. I work in a veterinary hydrotherapy unit as part of my job, and the force of the jets in this unit easily matches that in the spa where I work - it's really powerful, even on the low setting. The only thing that irritated me only very slightly was that the suction cups don't seem to want to stick to the bottom of the bath very well, so the mat keeps on floating upwards, but that's a minor detail. As was mentioned in the other reviews on this page, the power unit is noisy, but it's not as noisy as I thought it'd be and it didn't really bother me at all. These are a lot easier to maintain than normal spas and jacuzzi baths, and they're portable!
If you're worried about safety then don't be, this unit has obviously undergone rigorous safety checks and the power plug (which has a really long cable so that you can plug it in well away from any water) has a sensitive circuit breaker on it that you test before you use the unit each time. This detects any problems, and should a fault develop whilst in use, it'll cut out straight away.

This is a must - have for anyone like me who loves their baths at the end of the day!

Page: 1 | 2