Profile for niall_larkin > Reviews

It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
by Lance Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars courage personified, 23 Aug. 2005
This book is what Lance Armstrong is all about. Grit, determination, courage and passion, the man shows them all on the bike and in the pages of this book.
If you have been living on planet Earth in the last 10 years you will know about the plight of Lance Armstrong. This is a guy who snatched life out of the jaws of death. To get back on his bike and complete a Tour De France after that shows the depts of his strenght & courage but to win it a record seven times beggars belief. This June he left the group of people know as sporting greats to join a small select group that have achieved sporting immortality.
This book will have you in tears, you can feel his pain but you can also feel his elation in victory.
An amazing man, who should be an inspiration to all, from those who just want to improve their training times to those unfortunate to be in the same or similar position as Lance was in. Read this book, it spills inspiration. As Lance says, pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Lazybones (Tom Thorne Novels)
Lazybones (Tom Thorne Novels)
by Mark Billingham

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but it's no Scaredycat!!, 26 Feb. 2005
When I read Scaredycat and put a review on Amazon, I was amazed at the ordinary reviews it received. I thought it was one of the best thrillers I've read in a long time and the reviews were way off the mark. With Lazybones, I think most reviewers hit the nail on the head. It's a good page turner but it lacks the spark that Scaredycat had.
Yet again Thorne doesn't disapoint. He's human. He wants results and he wants to do the best he can but he has flaws. Thats why we like him. More of this book is devoted to Holland who doesn't have the same likeability that Thorne has. I also thought that Hollands relationship with McEvoy in Scaredycat gave him a bit more scope but here, well he's only really making up the numbers.
With the victims in Lazybones, you lack the same sorrow than his other books. Is it because they are convicted rapists or because the author passes this attitude to you through Thorne. The murders are still pretty realisic and the characters are good, especially Hendricks. But unlike Scaredycat, I spotted the murderer a fair bit off.
But it still has a good finish to it. It's well worth a read and I will be reading Mark Billinghams other books.
All in all, its a good way to kill a couple of evenings.

Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne Novels)
Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne Novels)
by Mark Billingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 14 Sept. 2004
I was given both Scaredy Cat and Lazy Bones by my sister to read on holidays. With only three days to my holiday I decided to read the first chapter or two of Scaredy Cat. The result: I've only one book left for my holidays!
Starting off with the first murder and the constant flashbacks in the first section, you get a real feel for the characters, yet at the same time you don't know quite enough about him, so you keep reading. He's cool, always one step ahead of DI Thorne and his team and a master of manipulation.
I also liked the way Billingham sets the seed of doubt in your head as to who the killer may be. I was convinced it would be one of two people but was totally off the mark. I read in some of the reviews that the reader spotted it a mile off. Well, well done to them, I was way of the mark.
Towards the end, there are a couple of major surprises (the identity of the killer being one).
I cant wait to get cracking into Lazy Bones.

The Olympics' Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of the Olympics' Gold Medal Gaffes, Improbable Triumphs, and Other Oddities
by Floyd Conner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light reading, 3 Dec. 2003
This is a very enjoyable bit of light reading. It has all sorts of strange facts and figures in it. There are sections on best winners, worst cheats, biggest upsets, strangest winners and so on. In fact there are about 70 sections and a top 10 for each.
This book will only last you a couple of hours but it is very enjoyable. A must for the statistician amongst us.

Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
by Shaun Assael

4.0 out of 5 stars A good look at the real Vince McMahon, 3 Dec. 2003
Sex, lies & Headlocks shows what Vince McMahon is really like. It gives the lo-downs on some of the seadier things he has done, from being labelled a "corporate drug dealer" over the steroids scandal to his backstabbing of Bret Hart.
It starts with how many small localised organisations came together to form the NWA and on how the WWF and NWA (and later WCW) had running battles, right through to the Monday night wars that would eventually kill off the WCW.
Vince through the years showed sheer aggression to suceed and a willingness to bend the rules - particularly when it came to what he could and could not show on tv. That never bothered Vince, though. He was also so self confident that he could not accept his failures in WBF and XFL.
But eventually he came out smelling of roses on the other side with the dominant force in sports entertainment. I bet Vinces official biography/autobiography wont tell half these stories.
Still, if you are a wrestling fan you will enjoy this. I highly recommend it.

Time To Die: The Kursk Disaster
Time To Die: The Kursk Disaster
by Robert Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, 5 Oct. 2003
When I read this book, I couldn't believe the sheer contempt and disregard for life that some of the hierarchy in the Russian government showed. Lying at the bottom of the Barents were 23 men waiting to be rescued. The Russian Navy didn't have the technology to save them, but the British and Norweigan Navies (along with a private deep sea saturation diving team) did and were on hand ready and waiting, only beauracrats in Moscow didn't want western Navies to see what there submarine looked like. It didn't matter that there may be men alive waiting to be rescued.
Some people showed immense courage, from the Northern Fleet captains who tried to rescue the sailors even though they were putting their own lives at risk, to the Admiral of the Northern Fleet who went against his governments wishes and let western nations in to help. But all was in vain, and all 118 men who were on board the Kursk were to lose their lives.

Triathlon 101: Essentials for Multisport Success
Triathlon 101: Essentials for Multisport Success
by John Mora

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the newcomer, 21 Sept. 2003
I took up triathlon at the start of the year and I bought this book to give me a helping hand with the nitty-gritty of what goes on.
I found it to be a great help. It covers all aspect of training, from running , swimming or cycling individually to brick sessions and putting them all together on the big day.
I also thought that the section on eating and drinking was excellent. It gave great write-ups on what electrolyte drinks to use and all about high carbohydrate meals and such.
The only thing that I would knock it on was that some sections were very basic, as if you had never run a mile in your life and were now taking up triathlon. I suppose those people do exist but I dont think much time has to be dedicated to that.
This year I've completed 2 sprint distance and 1 Olympic distance triathlon and am now looking forward to carrying it on next season.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely rubbish, 16 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
I've read my fair share of books over the years and when I decided to buy Catcher in the Rye, I was looking forward to a "classic". Unfortunately, I was left with the worst book I have ever read. Everything about it was poor.

Firstly, it spends two weeks in the life of an adolescent who thinks he is an adult and wants to act like one, but fails miserably.
Secondly, and the more important of the two, the way the book is written is a joke. All Salinger does is repeat himself over and over again. He constantly uses phrases like "I told him that, I really did" and everyone that Holden Caufield meets is "phony, they really are".
For a book of just over 200 pages, it took me a long time to plough my way through it.
I think this book is only famous for the wrong reasons. Had John Lennon still been alive this books sales would be significantly less than it is.
This is one to be avoided like the plague. A disaster.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2016 9:52 PM GMT

War Junkie
War Junkie
by Jon Steele

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine chilling, 26 Sept. 2002
This review is from: War Junkie (Paperback)
Jon Steele brings us a book that will shock you. Reporting from wars that, as he said himself, "nobody cares about", he risks his life on several occasions to bring the world the latest news. The whole book will have you sitting on the edge. He also brings his own brand of humour to it. But when the bullets start flying you feel like you are trapped in a real life version of Black Hawk Down. This book will make you laugh, it will make you cry and when all is said and done this must surely be recognised as a journalistic classic. A must read.