Profile for J. Pickering > Reviews

Content by J. Pickering

J. Pickering "Random Julie" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Roed
Roed
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Kerpow! Another stonking Kent release, 9 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Roed (Audio CD)
So, I am a big Kent fan, and have all their Albums and EPs. They are one of my favourite bands.
With this new release, they have stepped further down the path they started on Tillbaka Till Samtiden..electro-rock.
Although I have a preference for their more rocky stuff (Isola remains my favourite), this album is still pretty awesome.
If you can get past the first track, which I always skip, then you're in for a treat.
Taxmannen and Krossa Allt are possibly the best tracks to drive to (very fast!), or generally play VERY LOUD.
Ensamheten and Sjukhus have the melodic Kent we all love, and the other tracks are pretty groovy.
If you liked Tillbaka and Vapen och Amu, then this is definately gonna hit the spot. If you're more a rocky-early fan, this is still pretty good. It still has the rock we love, but just gives it the electro edge.
I have to admit, I prefer bands that change, develop, mature and experiment. Nothing apalls me more than bands that churn out the same sound/riffs/beats album after album...what is the point?
I want my music to challenge and change ! And Kent are definately the best at doing that !!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2010 12:02 PM BST

Borderlands (PS3)
Borderlands (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Co-Op FUN !!!, 6 Nov. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands (PS3) (Video Game)
So, my husband and I love to play together - and that's why Resident Evil 5 is one of our fav games.
When we picked up Borderlands in the shop and saw Co-Op we went straight to the till !

The game is pretty good for a FPS. Action good, controls easy and similar to many of the FPSs around. Nice.
Graphics are retro-comic, and I love it that way. It can be very amusing, and when you meet the Bosses, you get an introduction screen with some quip about them (Nine-Toes has 3 balls, aparently !)

Although the RPG part of it is slim compared to most, it is still designed so you have to make a strategic choice in the first 25 levels to decide what you're going to focus on. After which, you can pretty much choose what you want (fill em up!).

We've played as all 4 characters, but our fav paring is Lilith (siren) and Roland (soldier) - and I play Roland, and other half as Lilith ! Good voice acting, and soooo many quests, you'll never get bored.

When we got it we had a 6 hour stint the first night, and have played it for at least 2 hours every night since. It's definately addictive !

Definately one of the best Co-Ops out there. And as per the other reviewers....Co-Op is the way forward !!! Get in there !

Awesome !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2011 11:37 AM GMT

A Void
A Void
by Georges Perec

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !, 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: A Void (Paperback)
I read this book years ago, after it was mentioned in an editorial of a magazine I was reading. Totally intregued, I went straight out and bought it. Read it. Marvelled at it.
Perec has become one of my favourite authors since.
And to make it all the more perfect - he then wrote Three - a short story where the only vowel is E !! He had to use them up!
Read it - if only to be suitably awed.

Unforgiven [Blu-ray] [1992] [US Import]
Unforgiven [Blu-ray] [1992] [US Import]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything on show !!, 4 Oct. 2007
I loved this film - before I saw it on Blu-Ray. So, when it was Blu-Rayed I HAD to buy it. And what a joy.
Brilliant direction, wonderful acting, fabulous story - and in HD perfection.
I get to see the hairs on the hogs, the pores in Clints face and the grass waving in the wind....sigh.
Felt I was really there - a drunk murderer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2010 5:15 PM BST

Kingdom Of Heaven (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
Kingdom Of Heaven (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Orlando Bloom

4.0 out of 5 stars Visually Perfect, 3 July 2007
OK, so you have to ignore Orlandos acting skills. But apart from that this film, in Blu-Ray bliss, is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I spent most of the time looking at blades of grass, twigs and clouds and not paying attention to what was going on.

Perfection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2010 12:26 AM GMT

Norton Internet Security 2007 (3 User Licence) (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2007 (3 User Licence) (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - with a few quirks, 4 Jun. 2007
I have used Norton/Symantec for several years now, and though this is one of the best (functionality wise) it does have a few quirks that drive me bonkers.

Install was easy, worked first time and was quick. Advice is to let it complete the full system scan when you're done for the day (takes about an hour or so). Some people say that it causes their PC to run slowly - this is purely to do with the spec of the PC. Mine is absolutely fine - no change from previous version (I have a pretty mean machine, mind). When I installed it on my laptop, then I suffered from slow network connection and download. So, definately spec - not a software issue.

One thing though, that drives me loopy, is for some reason this software does not automatically refresh web pages. It's a cache monster. This is especially apparent on my hotmail account, and some online ordering pages. I'm forever deleting things, that appear when I return to the original page. I have to manually refresh to update the page. This is mildly annoying, to say the least.

Apart from that it's pretty good on my PC.

If you have a good spec PC/laptop, then this software is not a problem. If you are on a lower spec then you will find life a drag (I disable it on my laptop when downloading and use the Windows Firewall).

I think with all the horror stories people feel the NEED to buy this type of security software - but to be honest, buying your own firewall, or using another software solution is just as good as Norton (and some others are less resource hungry !!).

Final Fantasy X: Platinum Edition (PS2)
Final Fantasy X: Platinum Edition (PS2)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Hysterical, 19 Dec. 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is hysterical!! Well, it is for me and my boyfriend. We play this together, taking turns in directing, but generally just peeing ourselves with laughter. It's great.

Yes, there are a lot of cut scenes with loads of talking, but these are actually amusing, especially the dialogue. And if you're a bit "spaced" (if you get my drift) then you can add your own dialogue out loud - or just laugh at Tidus (the hero) and they way he mopes about like a mardy teenager...

As for battles - they're well hectic - I've lost count of the number of times we've just swore when the screen cuts to a battle. We're rubbish, and just try whatever to beat the nasty fiends. And for extra amusement, get Yuna in battle and bashing the badies with her stick!! She says "I'm here! How can I help?", and we just roll about laughing - cos she's usless (until she summons an Aeon - then she kicks ass!!).

We're not big RPG gamers - but this is flippin brilliant, with a cup of tea, some milk chocco digestives, and a suitable feeling of "space cadet".

I recommend to hard-core RPG players, and anyone with an ounce of fun in them!!

It's hysterical!!

Centrum
Centrum
Offered by samurai media JPN401

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange - but funky, 31 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Centrum (Audio CD)
I never thought the Swedes to be a big folk/jazz/band people. I have a lot of swedish music (and speak the language), so am always up for listening to something new....
Bo Kasper immediately made me smile, but not in a giddy happy way; in a pleasantly surprised way. As each song started I was surprised over again.
Imagine, if you will, a band who play a good mix, but definately jazz, latino, and folk influenced. Then imagine them singing in swedish.
"Undantag" is something you can salsa to.
"Vissa har det" is funky enough to be Jay-Kay in disguise!!
"Finnas bättre till" sounds like something Dean Martin might sing....
So, extra special mix of classy music from the swedes here. Don't expect any rock or pop (what we brits seem to be discovering from sweden at the moment). No geetahs here - except in a spanish twangy salsa !!
This is groovy, cool and funky.....a new side of Swedish music for me !

Sage Instant Accounts v12 (PC)
Sage Instant Accounts v12 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the perseverance !, 12 July 2006
Version 12 isn't much of a change from v11, so feel welcome to read those reviews also.

Sage gets a mixed response from users. Some find it perfect and others find it difficult to use. I can understand both these opinions.

I purchased SAGE Instant Accounts for my small business, despite the negative reports, because it was recommended by my Accountant and an indepedant website. On first installation I found the software to be a bit of a beast, that was not easy to use or self-explanatory. I entered loads of things incorrectly (using common sense, and not actually accounting proceedurs, and as you you can't delete anything (as all good accounting/bookeeping systems should not let you do), my accounts got in a mess. So, I de-installed, and searched the computer for all the "hidden" files, deleting them all. Then I re-installed the software.

This time I read the User Guide carefully, and now I'm the happiest person in the world! Sage Instant Accounts is a blessing! If you take the time to read the User Guide properly, everything is explained and therefore, your accounts are in perfect working order.

Now it's a pleasure to do my bookeeping - and my Balance Sheet actually balances.

Yes, Sage is cumbersome and anal - but that's the nature of Accounting, I'm afraid. Simple accounting proceedure only makes money for Mr Accountant. With Sage, I can take the time, do it properly, and Mr Accountant has no excuses for charging more than the basic price.

I recommend it - but you MUST read the manual, if you want to get the best out of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2008 9:17 PM GMT

Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional Full Product (Windows)
Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional Full Product (Windows)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 22 Jun. 2006
I use this for my business, and find it more than acceptable. As stated in the previous review, it does not take very long to launch, nor plague my desktop with loads of excess buttons (I hardly notice them).

I should say that the first time I installed this it DID have a fit and crash and make my PC very upset. But I just de-installed, deleted the renegade files it secretly leaves behind (watch out for these little guys) and re-installed. Now it works perfect.

Unfortunately, at risk of sounding like a marketing-bod, you DO need this application if you want to produce quality documents that give the right impression to your customers/clients. All of my Suppliers, Clients and Partners use Adobe PDF. If I sent them anything else I think they'd think I was wierd....

So, I'm happy. Does exactly what I want it to. Can't complain.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3