Profile for librarygirl > Reviews

The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
by Angela Liddon
Price: 15.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter book, 28 April 2014
I don't know where I heard about this book, but it was pre-ordered on a whim; I'd never even heard of the blog. I've been a vegetarian in the past, and have always eaten a low-meat diet anyway, but I'd been toying with the idea of returning to vegetarianism, and maybe going further by going vegan. A book a friend recommended convinced me about going vegan, but the recipes left me disappointed. Many of them contained foods I either don't like as the main component, ingredients that are difficult to come by in the UK, or were just meat recipes made vegan.

What I really like about this book is that it isn't reliant on making vegan versions of meat-based dishes. Very few of the recipes contain meat substitutes. Yes, some of the recipes are quite basic, but that's no bad thing really. I'd say I've earmarked 90% of the recipes as potentials, and of the half dozen or so I've made so far, they've all been outstanding and meat-eaters have enjoyed them.

This book is great for either getting started with a vegetarian/vegan diet if you're not looking to simply replace your meat-based recipes with meat substitutes or for adding in some different veg dishes to your repertoire. The ingredients used are generally easy to come by, even in the north of England, and the recipes are easy to follow and tasty.

My only complaint is that whomever did the conversions to metric measures doesn't seem to understand that everything isn't measured in mL, only liquids, so things like flours are shown in American cups and mL. Luckily I have a set of American measuring cups so it all works out, but I wish more care had been taken in doing metric conversions. Other American-based cookbooks I've bought that have also had metric measures have been done well so this was a disappointment with this book.

This book is definitely worth a look regardless of whether you want to go vegetarian

25 Bags to Knit: Beautiful Bags in Stylish Colours
25 Bags to Knit: Beautiful Bags in Stylish Colours
by Emma King

2.0 out of 5 stars Little variety, 8 May 2006
As a newer knitter, I wanted some simple projects to work on that would teach me some new skills, allow me to gain further knowledge, and produce something that was more than just a scarf. This book looked intriguing so I got it and chose a project based mostly on the yarn that I had available. Now that I completed that project, I've gone through and tried to find a next project, but I'm at loss.

Pretty much every project in this book is the same thing with very little variation. For example, what is essentially the same bag, but knitted in different dimensions or two pieces of two other bags put together so you have a seed stitch front and plain back.

I think you'd be better off browsing this book in a store or library and seeing if it's worth buying before buying it blind like I did. Or better yet, just search for bag patterns online and get a far wider variety of both free and inexpensive patterns.

I give this book two stars for it's layout (I really like the spiral binding), multiple pictures of the projects, and clear instructions, but I didn't learn anything and haven't really felt inspired to do any more of the patterns in the book.