Profile for Paul W > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Draper Expert Knipex 49195 910 mm Bolt Cutters
Draper Expert Knipex 49195 910 mm Bolt Cutters

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, heavy but effective, 28 Sept. 2011
Knipex are a top quality brand - made in Germany and always well made.

Expensive but its quality.

Much bigger and heavier than expected but really does a great job of cutting chains etc.

Wera 05003533001 8100 SA/SC 2 Zyklop Combination Ratchet Set, 1/4 inch Drive, Metric, 42 Piece

5.0 out of 5 stars First class quality and very useful, 28 Sept. 2011
The item just shouts quality and thoughtfulness of design.

When it arrived I was surprised how compact the metal box is. Quite a bonus and makes it easier to carry around.

The ratchet is simply the best I've ever experienced. It's clever design makes DIY tasks quick and light work. You can just tell Wera have spent a lot of time perfecting the ratchet.

It is very expensive but the outstanding quality means you don't feel ripped off.

It doesn't say where its made but I believe its either Germany or the Wera factory in the Czech Republic.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than I hoped for..., 16 Aug. 2011
I use my HTC Flyer as a map/GPS device while hiking.

Given how often it rains in the UK I wanted to make sure the HTC stayed dry - even if I didn't!

This case certainly seems to do the job. It was easy to insert the device in the case and seal it.

The touch screen still works fairly well despite being behind a plastic film.

The case is also very light and adds little bulk or weight to the device.

The case seems flimsy but I suspect its actually pretty tough.

While the case will protect from rain - obviously it has no padding so won't protect against a drop.

There's something very unusual about the case - its made in Britain! I've not seen something made in Britain for many years - so buying this case not only protects your device it helps jobs in the UK.

Gerber Gator High Carbon Steel Brush Thinner (discontinued by manufacturer)
Gerber Gator High Carbon Steel Brush Thinner (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for path clearing, 27 July 2011
I sometimes use this while hiking and coming across dense brambles or spikey bushes.

Easy to use and makes light work of even thickish branches. The sheath makes it easy to store and carry.

Also unlike a lot of the newer machetes its made by Fiskars in Finland.

Pity its been discontinued

Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition
Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition
Offered by marvelio-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Victim of the loudness wars - highly compressed with limited dynamic range, 18 May 2011
This remastering is a major victim of the loudness wars.

I have the original 1984 album and compared it to this album.

The original album had the dynamic range score of 16. This album measured the dynamic range score of seven!

It sounds very compressed - great for playing in the car or on some cheap iPhone/iPod headphones in the middle of a busy street. But terrible for audiophiles listening to it in their living room on quality equipment.

I recommend sticking to the original version.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Premium Edition (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Premium Edition (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works-but you will need a high spec computer, decent soundcard and good microphone, 13 May 2011
This is my third attempt at using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. The first time was around 2001, the second occasion was 2006.
On both occasions I gave up at as it was just too frustrating to use and left me swearing at the computer. However my RSI is as bad if not worse than ever so I thought I'd give latest version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking another go.

This time to maximise success I've used a very high spec computer ( Intel i7 X980 + 24gb RAM ), a very high quality USB microphone (TableMike two in one ) and also a very high quality USB soundcard ( E-MU 0204 USB )

I'm pleased to say this time it is proving genuinely useful and unlike on the last two occasions I've not uninstalled Dragon NaturallySpeaking in a fit of frustration!

I mostly use it for answering the many support e-mails I have to send as part of my job. They don't require a particularly sophisticated use of words or technical terms so Dragon NaturallySpeaking is ideal. I would say it has speeded up sending of e-mails and certainly reduced the amount of typing I need to do.

However it's certainly not perfect and in particular editing text is often easier using the keyboard.

I've written all of the text of this review using Dragon NaturallySpeaking and probably only had to correct it seven or eight times when Dragon got things wrong. But to be honest I probably would have made at least as many mistakes when typing. I have to confess I did edit it though using the keyboard.

I find it easier to think in my head and type than to read things out loud so it does take a bit of getting used to using Dragon. I've only been using it for just over a week to perhaps it'll become more natural.

As long as you have a high spec computer and good audio system I would highly recommend Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited Life, 29 April 2011
As with the other reviewer I found the belt worked fine at first but after around a year of wear it started to become temperamental.

At first I thought it was the batteries - but changing all batteries - watch and belt - made no difference.

Only thing that helped slightly was to clean with alcohol cleaner the contacts on the strap itself - in particular using a cotton bud to clean inside where the press studs go in.

Logitech Laptop Speaker Z305
Logitech Laptop Speaker Z305

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful upgrade for MacBook Air, 23 April 2011
Sound on 2011 MacBook Air is fine normally but recently I stayed at a self catering cottage with no DVD player. I used the MacBook Air connected to a portable DVD player to watch DVDs but even on maximum volume the sound volume was barely acceptable. On quieter movies both me and my partner struggled to hear what people were saying on the movie - even in a rural location with little external noise.

So for next time I bought the Logitech Z305 speakers. And wow - not only much louder but also much more bass and fuller sound. No more straining to hear the movie!

Only slight downside is the MacBook Air is super light and the Z305 speaker a little on the heavy side. With the Z305 speaker clipped to the top of the laptop there was only one position in which the lid didn't fall forward or backward. However this isn't necessarily the best angle for viewing the screen. Not a deal breaker - the speaker can be just put on the desk but top of the laptop is better for sound.

Also note after plugging it in to the MacBook you then need to go to sound settings on the Mac and make sure the external speaker is selected. By default even after being plugged in the internal speaker is used unless you change this.

Crucial CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 2.5-inch Solid State Drive (256GB,Real SSD,C300,SATA 6GB/S)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, 3 Feb. 2011
holy mackerel batman! This thing is fast, very, very fast!

I've got mine connected to the SATAIII 6GB/s controller on an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard and its blisteringly fast!

Sequential read speed is almost double my OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Drive.

The difference it makes to my PC speed is way more than any processor upgrade or having faster RAM.

I also have a fairly new and fast hard drive and a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive - here are the CrystalMark figures on the same PC after the drives had been in use for a week or so:

**** Crucial 256GB Z SSD DRIVE *****

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 20.419 MB/s [ 4985.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 64.881 MB/s [ 15840.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 21.998 MB/s [ 5370.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 88.603 MB/s [ 21631.5 IOPS]
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2011 9:52 PM GMT

Sony Vegas Pro 10, Upgrade Edition (PC)
Sony Vegas Pro 10, Upgrade Edition (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very limited number of new features except 3d editing, 18 Jan. 2011
I've been using Vegas Pro since version 8. Version 9 was a big improvement in terms of speed and stability.

So far version 10 has been nice and stable. I use the 64 bit version on a quite powerful PC.

However rendering times are between 10% and 20% slower with the same footage, on the same PC rendering to the same file type.

This is quite disappointing - I'd expected if anything version 10 would be the same or faster.

Of the new features the image stabilising is nice but does crop around 15% of the image and reduces image quality slightly.

I've no plan to create 3d movies so the new 3d features are of no use to me personally.

Other than that its virtually identical to version 9. I'm really not sure the upgrade is worth it unless creating 3d videos are important.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13