Profile for Martin Haworth > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Logitech R700 Professional Presenter
Logitech R700 Professional Presenter
Offered by Ballicom International

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What it's Supposed to do - and Rather Well Too, 18 Jun 2014
Simple and effective upgrade from my previous bit if kit. Recommended by a colleague when training together. Just love it!

STRAIGHTLINE LEADERSHIP
STRAIGHTLINE LEADERSHIP
by DUSAN DJUKICH

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Simple, Demanding and Honest Truths, 18 Jun 2014
This is a truly fascinating book for self-development as well as the leadership arena. I was hugely impressed by the way distinctions were explained and put fully into perspective. This book is not for the faint-hearted, because it gets to the gist of under-performance and makes achievement all the more attainable. It's a choice. That was, amongst all on my post-it stickers, the most memorable, without giving the book away - because you really should buy it.

Persuader: (Jack Reacher 7)
Persuader: (Jack Reacher 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Different - and still excellent Reacher!, 18 Jun 2014
Simply a sucker for Jack! Just finished Persuader: (Jack Reacher 7) by Lee Child. Onto number Eight next right away!

The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
by Steve Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Shifts your Thinking - Big Time, 19 Dec 2013
Astonishing concepts and throws out of the window so much of the practice-building nonsense that can cause such a struggle.

It's a mindset-shifting book which whilst not simple to accept (and perhaps deliver - I've yet to take it on-board), truly is the way forward for coaches to be successful.

Challenging Coaching: Going Beyond Traditional Coaching to Face the FACTS (foreword by Sir John Whitmore PhD)
by John Blakey

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Your Coaching to a Whole New Level, 19 April 2012
In 'Challenging Coaching', John Blakey and Ian Day have done the coaching profession a significant service. It's time to up our game and refresh the learning many of us experienced as we went through even the most thorough of programs.

This book brought home to me how easy it could be to fail to examine how I coach and test my own comfort zone as I explore the tactics I've adopted over the years.

Whilst on many occasions, I was able to say 'Yes, that's what I do', there were more than enough moments in the book for me to consider closely how I need to reassess some of the value I might have been missing on behalf of my clients.

It might be easy to get all self-critical about this. Yet we, just like our clients, live in challenging times where every income stream is critical to our business success. Developing the self-confidence to go much further than we might feel appropriate to hang onto a client is difficult these days and yet as I reflected on what they said, it all seemed to make sense.

The model itself is not rocket science, but the way they describe the most dynamic skills that we coaches can evolve to, is both practical as well as stimulating in this really easy to read book. It's a book of example - yet it does not fill the book with these as some do. It's a book of technique - yet expressed simply and in easy to apply steps. It's a book that sets the mind thinking - as all good books should do.

If you want to move your coaching onto a new, challenging level and have the courage to see that in you as a coach, then this is the book for you.

As coaches, to take the profession as well as yourself to new heights, then, as the book says, 'Face the FACTS'. Buy the book, I can assure you it will change your productivity as a coach significantly.

Laplink PC Mover (2007) (with USB 2.0 cable) (PC CD)
Laplink PC Mover (2007) (with USB 2.0 cable) (PC CD)
Offered by hixxysoft

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Solution, 28 Sep 2008
I tried this with a little trepidation both as I was moving up to Vista and had heard scary comments about it and also some of the comments on here which were less than optimistic. I was not helped because initially i only used on monitor and one internet connection!

Still, that all being said, this product worked exactly and I mean exactly as it said on the box, with only a little bitty leaflet to tell you what to do. I shifted 90GB (yes, really, bearing in mind that it compacts the files by around 50% as it loads it (quirkily!) into the 'removal van', unpacking at the arrival end) by setting it going overnight. When I came down in the morning it was done, with my new PC showing the desktop picture that previously was on the old PC.

Of course a couple of the wackier internet marketing products didn't work, because I had older copies that were Vista - I will be going back to the manufacturers for upgrades to those.

No, follow the instructions carefully and to the letter - watch out because a couple of the come up on the screens which you need to do in sequence.

I give it a resounding 5!

A Wedding In December
A Wedding In December
by Anita Shreve

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story from a Great Writer - Me Next!, 8 Jan 2006
This review is from: A Wedding In December (Hardcover)
This was so worth waiting for. I nearly picked up a copy at Heathrow a couple of months back, but decided to have it on my Christmas list from my kids, (with a few other books too!), but it was the first book I picked out on Christmas Day! Shreve is a wonderful storyteller and in this tale she interweaves two tales at the same time (my 4* is because she tails off the 'inner story' written by one of the characters in the main story, a little more than she might have - I wanted that to keep going too!). As a '50-something' the parallels she draws as we progress through our lives are remarkable. I felt myself agreeing with her all the way through. Whilst not my own story, any of us could have been there, as we are in our memories of our own lives. The missed opportunities and the spread of the lives of those so close to us at one time who, for one reason or another, move on and away. Yet we are left with that lingering wondering. I also love Shreve's links with New England. For me (a Brit), this is so evocative. I am always enthralled by the setting and scenery of her books, magnetically brought back to Massachsetts, or Maine and always somewhere, the coast. I find her books stimulate me to write fiction, which till now I never have, but I feel it in there thanks to you. I just love it Anita, love the book - when's the next one out :-)

The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies for Building a Learning Organization
The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies for Building a Learning Organization
by Peter M. Senge

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Would Ever Want to Develop Your Management, 8 Dec 2005
If you ever wanted a book that contains almost everything you would ever want to develop your management skills, this is it. As a business coach, I have found it remarkably thorough and recommend it to my clients often.
This is a different iteration of the original book 'The Fifth Discipline', (both are by Peter Senge) - itself a breakthough book.
The work Senge created in the Fieldbook version is practical and do-able, with the focus on individual exercises in as wide a range of management applications as you could need. I think it's a leap ahead of the original for that reason.
That being said, there are some more up to date areas that have evolved, such as, for example, Succession Planning, but with the vast array of components in this book, many of these will be covered off anyway.
For anyone who wants both a dip-in workbook as well as a groundbreaking comprehensive manual, this book must be in your library, it will serve you well for the whole of your management career.
By the way, if you buy it on here (Amazon), don't be put off by the number of pages. If you buy it (after trying to pick it up!) in a bookshop, don't be put off by it's weight!
If you take it a 'module' at a time, you will find it remarkably readable and fun - but I wouldn't attempt to read the whole thing in one go - just take your time.
Enjoy meandering around it, it's a truly fascinating read!

The One Minute Manager - Increase Productivity, Profits And Your Own Prosperity
The One Minute Manager - Increase Productivity, Profits And Your Own Prosperity
by Kenneth Blanchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy subtle above all inspirational!, 8 Dec 2005
Delivering great employee performance is quite a skill, some might say an art. You could do far worse than to invest in this great little book, which is a delightful read…
In this early book from Ken Blanchard, he is able, through a very precise focus on what makes leaders (and, I think in this case, managers), get the very best from those they employ, to describe a simple process for success.
For many, 'The One Minute Manager' is a revelation and I have no doubt that it works. In my long management career, I was able to achieve this goal eventually, but it is, inevitably, easier to read than deliver. This is because, like most things, it requires practice and focus. And if any manager were able to do these things easily, they would be already.
That being said, it's a great aspirational (and inspirational) book, focused on delivering, through people, great success in business and organisations.
Rather than trying to do it all yourself and either failing, or burning yourself out in the process (tried it myself - once!). Because of that, it is a very useful read for anyone who wants to make management a career.
As a business coach, I especially like the simplicity of The One Minute Manager, a feature I have included often in the ideas and tips on my own website.

How to Make Your Dreams Come True
How to Make Your Dreams Come True
by Mark Forster

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Fascinating Style - A 'Can Do' Ethic, 30 Mar 2002
Further to his recent time 'management' book which is full of innovation, Mark Forster has done it again and this time with even greater creativity. The reader is transported through a series of 'conversations' with the you that you want to become and coached to success. However, the conversations are with a real person, one who achieves but in a way which is not perfection, but is a real person with all of our natural ups and downs, This makes the book 'unputdownable' like a John Grisham - I read it in just two sittings! I'd liken it to the 'One Minute Manager' series by Ken Blanchard in it's simplicity and readability. Bottom line is that you still have to do the stuff yourself, this just makes it real and straightforward. Don't miss it if you want a very different slant on self-development, which will give you activities which will last and last as you come back to this book time and time again.

Page: 1 | 2