Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Izzat Manouchehr > Reviews

Content by Izzat Manouchehr

Izzat Manouchehr (UK)

We Still Kill The Old Way [DVD]
We Still Kill The Old Way [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Ogilvy

3.0 out of 5 stars We Still Film The Old Way!, 30 Sept. 2014
I saw WSKTOW last night at a special advance screening. I'm not a big fan of low budget Britsploitation films, but I really enjoyed WSKTOW. It's basically Haary Brown meets Resevoir Dogs in Albert Square. It's a bit rough around the edges, but the principle cast are excellent and you can tell they had a ball making this very satisfying Pensioners Vs. hoodies revenge flick. Credit is also due to Danny-Boy Hatchard and the young cast. They're bloody terrifying. Ideal Boxing Day fare for Eastenders obsessives.

Wolf Children [DVD]
Wolf Children [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aoi Miyazaki

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as Miyazaki if not better, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Wolf Children [DVD] (DVD)
I am a massive fan of director, Mamoru Hosada. I think his breakout film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is one of the greatest anime films of all time and even rivals some of the movies created by the spiritual godfather of anime cinema, the great Hayao Miyazaki. What I like about Hosada's work is that all of his stories (Girl Who..., Summer Wars and The Wolf Children) are grounded in real, every-day believable settings and that his films all explore universal themes of family. The other advantage Hosada's film-making has over Miyazaki's is that he embraces the three act structure, so you could argue he has a more Hollywood approach to story-telling compared to many of his Japanese contemporaries.

Wolf Children is the story of a family of shape-shifting humans. As the title suggests, they are able to transform into wolves. When tragedy strikes it is up to the mother to raise her two rambunctious little children. The film is both funny, sad, uplifting and overall very moving. When I saw it originally on screen in Paris earlier this year I couldn't believe how many people in the audience were crying by the finale. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who loves their family, who loves nature and who loves good animated movies from the likes of Studio Ghibli, Pixar and Disney. BUY IT.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 7:00 PM GMT