Profile for Stuart C > Reviews

Stuart C "stuartjcon"

If You Leave
If You Leave

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, subtle and deep as a blue-pool in winter, 13 July 2014
This review is from: If You Leave (Audio CD)
An absorbing album that gets deeper on each listening.

Echoes of other great acts like Florence, Goldfrapp and London Grammar, maybe a bit of Enya ... maybe many other masters of the subtle.

Highly recommended if you want a 10 track late evening journey to chill-out.

The Wall [Experience Edition]
The Wall [Experience Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars A long time later ... some answers, 28 Feb 2012
I've bought the album, cassette, CD, replacement CD, book, film, teeshirts, posters, show tickets, live CD, Berlin CD, bootleg, more teeshirts, mugs, badges and this audio recording still gave me something new.

As with all the 2011/2012 Floyd remasters, the quality is superb and you're bound tol hear something you'd never noticed before in The Wall even if you think you know it note-by-note. The sound is clear and unmuddled. The nice thing here is that everyone who recorded for that album can be heard. If you think Nick Mason and Richard Wright were lost behind Roger Waters & David Gilmour's front of house performance then this recording should convince you otherwise.

For disc 3 alone, this is worth buying. Listen to it and hear bits that sound like hints of Waters' Pros & Cons album, plus The Final Cut.

I got my copy of The Wall for Christmas in 1979 as a teenager. Now, many years later, I can see, at last, some of the work-in-progress ideas that went into it.

Highly recommended to old Floyd fans and new. Enjoy

Easy Stars Lonely Hearts Dub Band
Easy Stars Lonely Hearts Dub Band
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A very, very fine album, 5 Nov 2011
I'll be brief.

This working of a classic Beatles album is superb. The Easy Stars band are accomplished, in no way downplay the original genius and yet provide a crafted, original angle on Sgt Peppers.

I've heard many covers of Beatles' material, but can say this one stands way above the rest. You don't need to be a reggae fan to enjoy it. Just need an hour, a copy and be prepared to be amazed.

5 stars for Easy Stars ... chill and enjoy.

Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition
Dark Side of the Moon - 30th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying ... again, 1 April 2003
I first heard The Dark Side Of The Moon when a bearded student teacher played it to us in class back in '73. I was about seven at the time and remember being amazed at the clocks, trains, planes and so forth.
Six years later and everyone was buying The Wall in 1979, it cost too much to buy so I received TDSOTM for Christmas instead - my first Floyd album. And so I started listening to it, realised that I'd heard it all those years back in school and carried on playing it. Year after year, through the ten year mark, through the 20th Anniversary and now at the 30th year. On the way I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd play the whole piece at Earls Court, London. No idea how many times I've heard the album, I've got all of the Floyd catalogue, however TDSOTM is the one I always seem to go back to
It's hard to think up new things to say, I could go on about how great the sound is on this version, how much extra 5.1 SACD adds to the experience, how impressive the sleeve and insert book are. All true, but the simple facts are this is possibly Floyd's finest album (not least because all four of the guys sound like they are working together), someone on Earth is probably playing TDSOTM at this moment and that I'll no doubt be buying the 40th and 50th Anniversary editions.
If you haven't already bought a copy, at least stick it on your wish list. Enjoy.