Profile for Paul R. Norton > Reviews

Content by Paul R. Norton

Paul R. Norton "cutsey-cuddly" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dance Central - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Dance Central - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yeah! Oh yeah!, 4 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great game: Smart, great-looking and funky! I'm no dancer, not by any stretch of the imagination, so the 'Easy' mode is tough for me, but the 'Slow It Down' feature in the 'Break It Down' area of the game makes it reasonably simple even for a two-left-foot player like me. I've wanted to improve my dance skills for ages and I think this is really going to help me overcome my fears, have tons of fun, and learn how to get moves quickly into my muscle-memory. The commentary during 'Break It Down' is hilarious! The guy really makes you feel good when you nail a move and is quietly sarcastic when you mess up.

Because of my lack of experience I can see this game lasting me forever: It's going to take me months just to get all the routines down in 'Easy' mode, let alone the tougher challenges when you crank up the difficulty level. The graphics are great - all the dancers have attitude, the music comes blasting out of my speakers, there's plenty of tracks to choose from with loads more available to download for very few xbox points.

I'm sure this is a great on-line game and for a really happenin' party - this is all you need: Throw that Karaoke away!

First class and Rockin'!!!!!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars I am a kid again!, 3 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game was complimentary with the sensor - I have really bought a Kinect for fitness programmes but you know what? 'Adventures' is a fitness programme all by itself (although without the formal structure of, say, Your Shape) and a whole load of fun in the process - it's like having an adventure park in your room!

I take note of some of the other reviews criticizing the limited depth of the game and that's true. But the actual medley of games you can play are really quite wonderful and leave you breathing hard and sweaty. You can slalom down a fast-flowing river, duck and weave through a one-person roller-coaster, plug holes in a fish tank in a game akin to 'Twister', fly around a room popping bubbles, or whack a ball against a wall knocking over targets.

The graphics are top-notch - especially, in my opinion, the river-rafting game which has lush tree-lined banks, rocks, wooden bridges and very wet-looking water!

The 'living trophies' that you win for completing adventures are a little silly, and mine didn't record my daft vocals at all - but that's a tiny black mark.

The look and feel of 'Adventures' is clearly designed for the young 'uns but here's one old 'un who is having a blast and feeling his inner child coming out to play.

Nice one.

Virtua Tennis 4 (Xbox 360)
Virtua Tennis 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Kunoyo

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Better with Kinect' - but very limited gameplay, 3 Jun 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I say to myself time and time again - read the reviews first, read the back of the box first. But I get distracted by the shiny cover and here I am frustrated again.

That said, the kinect element of the game isn't that bad. The designers have come up with a way for your cyber-player to move around the width of a tennis court without actually running into the walls of your room. They have even found a strangely surreal way for you to approach the net and back up again - but it's not very effective and my player usually fluffs the overhead shot. The actual gesture-to-player operation isn't that good either. Top-spin seems to be okay, but slice is a train-wreck and the lob is non-existant as far as I can tell. Also directing the ball seems fairly arbitrary and you can't do a cunning drop-shot at all.

However, I'm actually rather hopeful - not with this game per se, but with the potential for tracking players using the kinect sensor. I can definitely see better and more effective sports games in the future Kinect world and await with bated breath the first golf simulator!

Purchasers should know that the Kinect content of this game is limited to an Exhibition match and one mini-game. For everything else you will have to revert to thumb-twitching. I've tried the regularly-controlled parts of the game and they're not really that good, but Virtua Tennis has always been an arcade emulator rather than a simulator.

The music is massively annoying - so I used options to turn it way down.

So 3 out of 5 for a reasonable attempt at using Kinect technology to recreate the feel of being 'inside' the game. But the anticipation of future and better-constructed titles is definitely there!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2011 12:35 AM BST

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice programme - but too many add-ons., 3 Jun 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The presentation of this fitness programme is very good, especially if - like me - you're put off attending city gyms because of the dirty, smelly conditions. Here, your projected image stands in a bright, clean cyber-gym all your own.

I've not explored the full potential of Your Shape yet, but so far so good. The workout routines are progressive and it looks like you can put combinations together for a longer, more fulfilling workout. I'm really enjoying the cardio-boxing lessons. It's all constructed around the gaming concept that achievement unlocks further levels so it encourages you to work hard. Not only that, but you can't immediately jump in to a more advanced class - which is sensible.

My only caveats? The menu navigation is a bit twitchy - too many times my cyber-hand does not sucessfully press the right button. But my main gripe is that there are too many additional programmes which are only available at additional cost. This is a catch, pure and simple - and is not explained on the box before purchase. I'd anticipate spending another £20-30 on top of the initial price of the disk in order to fill my cyber-gym with the full variety of what's on offer. Needless to say I'm sure Ubisoft are developing further downloadable programmes at further cost - can you say 'rip-off'?

One more thing - the kinect sensor has to be around eye-level to be effective in Your Shape. Otherwise your cyber-image loses its feet - and feet are rather important in most of the work-outs. I had to purchase a TV clip to mount my sensor higher - so more cost and, again, not explained on the box before purchase.

Summing up: Nice work-out programme with lovely clean lines. But the suits at Ubisoft really found a way of drawing more and more money out of you for add-ons.

Genuine Original HP Compaq 18.5V, 3.5A, 65W Replacement Laptop Charger Notebook AC Power Adaptor for HP 6735s
Offered by waltech

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my laptop from the bin, 27 April 2011
Oh boy, I've had so many problems with my HP Pavilion laptop over the past few years: It overheats frequently and crashes. It won't connect wirelessly to my printer (which is also a HP, so you'd expect the components to be able to 'talk' to one another. And then my mains cable completely packed up. Thank goodness there was a replacement available. I received it, plugged it in and - well - I guess I'm stuck with my Pavilion for a little longer.

It's a good product - and the supplier was very good with replacing my first order that didn't fit the mains-in socket.

As for the Pavilion itself - huh!

Madison Trail Full Finger Xc Gloves
Madison Trail Full Finger Xc Gloves

2.0 out of 5 stars I suppose you get what you pay for, 27 April 2011
The OUTSIDE design of these gloves are quite good - but the INSIDE is not good at all. There are hard seams at the tips of every finger which are really quite uncomfortable. I deliberately bought a medium pair because I expected them to stretch out a tad over time but wanted a skin-tight feel. Still, these inside ridges feel a little bit like torture when riding. Oh well, I'll spend a bit more money next time - and probably go to a bike shop where I can try them out first.

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly fantastic writing, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading this book this morning: It's a must-read book in my opinion. The skill with which the author leads you through the story, the way he has you figuring a facet of the plot-line just before it is actually revealed (at least in my experience) is writing artistry at its very best. Beautifully defined characters and evocative landscapes, the story will have you guessing (and wondering) until the very final page. Excellent!

The Beatles Rock Band (Xbox 360)
The Beatles Rock Band (Xbox 360)
Offered by scaddingk

4.0 out of 5 stars Gear Fab!, 2 April 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is the kind of game that's fun-quotient increases with the number of people playing it. Right now my wife and I are just singing along to all the Beatles songs we love so much, but I dare say that in time we will be replaying the game with a guitar and drum controller too.

They don't miss a trick though, do they? They create a fun game that costs (for me) under a tenner. But then you really need to fork out over a hundred quid to get the maximum potential out of the game. Add-ons: the ultimate business strategy!!!

Anyway, the game is great. The graphics have obviously been pulled straight from the original footage of the songs from Shea Stadium, the Ed Sullivan Show etc. I think it might have been more imaginative to have aped the Yellow Submarine style for the animation, but that's just me being a Beatles purist!

Sequel? How about a game following the story-line of either the Hard Day's Night or Help! movies where you can interact as one of the lads and, for instance, have to get grandad out of the casino, or fight Klang's henchmen or look for Ringo after he's been kidnapped - then sing a song. Sound good? Contact me, developers!!!!

Free to Love, Free to Heal: Heal Your Body by Healing Your Emotions
Free to Love, Free to Heal: Heal Your Body by Healing Your Emotions

4.0 out of 5 stars Really makes you think..., 2 April 2011
I knew I had some emotional hangups and wanted to find a book that would help me address this issue. I'm about half-way through the book and I already feel that I'm well on my way.

Don't expect the book to provide you with all the answers, though. The great thing about the book is that it challenges you to discover your own answers by writing things down, practicing some simple yoga poses, becoming conscious of your breathing, and even introducing you to some effective meditation techniques.

So far, so good. The book is definitely bringing things to the surface and, as the book says, once in plain view those things are easier to address and be rid of.

Highly recommended - and quite a quick read, which is another blessing.

The Complete Charles Dickens Collection : 60 Complete Works : Formatted for the Kindle, Including linked Table of Contents

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all here - at an amazing price!!!, 2 April 2011
This ebook could occupy the rest of your life!!! In it is every novel and short story Dickens ever wrote. Frankly I was amazed that my smartphone didn't explode with the sheer mass of literature therein! To have purchased all this as books I would have had to reinforce my bookshelf. I know a lot of people scoff at the idea of not holding 'the real thing' in your hands but not me. I have Dickens complete works on my mobile (and Jane Austen's too - by the same company), and that will do me very nicely. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5