Profile for Matthew Kenny > Reviews

Content by Matthew Kenny

Matthew Kenny (Coventry, UK)

The Times and Sunday Times
The Times and Sunday Times

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Jan. 2011
I was disappointed with the Kindle version of this newspaper.

I had no problems with timely delivery, and although more pictures would have been nice I can do without them. I was also relatively happy with the articles that were selected for the Kindle edition.

However, I was let down by the poor editing of the articles. Articles frequently contain spelling or formatting errors, tables of figures are reproduced in such a manner as to be virtually illegible, and captions from omitted pictures remain.

It feels as though this edition is an after-thought, with someone sat on a computer doing a "copy and paste" job with no care for the quality of the end-result.

Cassandra Soft Fur Hot Water Bottle & Cover Set - Colours May Vary
Cassandra Soft Fur Hot Water Bottle & Cover Set - Colours May Vary

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality cover, 19 Mar. 2010
The cover of the hot water bottle is wonderful, fluffy and soft. Unfortunately, as a previous reviewer noted, the 'fluff' does begin to fall out in clumps (large and small) after a week or two. After a few more weeks, mine has started to come apart at the seams. A shame, as the cover does have a nice feel.

I am unable to fault the bottle; it holds its water and does not leak.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2010 1:53 PM GMT

Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black
Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work right from the start, 18 Dec. 2009
I purchased this item recently. Unfortunately it didn't even work right out of the box. At first I thought the battery might be at fault so I replaced that, but the unit still wouldn't even turn on. In the end I gave up and returned it to Amazon.

Considering the number of reviews this item has, problems with build quality seems to be an alarmingly common problem!

Logic in Computer Science: Modelling and Reasoning about Systems
Logic in Computer Science: Modelling and Reasoning about Systems
by Michael Huth

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 16 Sept. 2007
This was the text book for the Logic module of my Computer Science course. I found that the book is very well written, and has plenty of examples. I found that it was very easy to grasp the concepts explained in the book.

Each chapter is supplemented with exercises. Not all of the questions have answers available, but a fair number of them do. Full answers are only available to lecturers from the author, so you may be able to get your lecturer to ask for a copy, if you are a university student.

I would highly recommend this book to people interested in this particular subject. It would have been better to have more answers in the back, though.

Laputa: Castle In The Sky [DVD]
Laputa: Castle In The Sky [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favourite, 16 Sept. 2007
This film was a childhood favourite of mine, so when I saw it on Amazon, I just had to buy it. Nostalgia is a very powerful marketing tool.

The film is wonderfully animated, and has a great story. The only thing that disappointed me (and the reason for the 4 star rating) was that this is not the original English dub, which I was expecting.

In spite of the different dub, I still found the film to be highly enjoyable, and would recommend it to anybody who likes this type of film.

NETGEAR DG834GUK DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good router, easy to set up., 16 Sept. 2007
I've gone through several ADSL routers in my time, and I have to say that this is probably my favourite so far. The router is easily configurable, although the web-based interface is not as user-friendly as some others I've used (namely the Linksys WRT54G), it isn't bad.

Setting up the ADSL was easy enough, although the router seems to default to the ADSL standard rather than the ADSL2+ standard when configured as 'Auto', so if you're experiencing slow connections like I was, then that is worth checking.

Wireless was easy to set up, and there was a fairly impressive set of security options. One computer on my network seems to drop the connection every so often, but I suspect that's more because of the computer than the router. The range is also very good, as the router is situated in the very front of the house, and the wireless signal reaches the back garden.

Also, for anyone that does any torrenting, I find that this router very rarely needs to be reset, as is often the case with cheaper routers due to them trying to keep track of a very large number of connections. Definitely a plus.

There are a few features that would have been nice to see, like QOS, but not something that I really expected from an under-£50 jobbie. All in all, I'd give this router 5 stars, because it's great value for money, and a good little router to boot: there's not really anything bad I can say about it.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones but..., 16 Sept. 2007
I think that these headphones are fantastic. They're priced nicely, so I didn't feel horrified about spending about £17 on them. I'm not a "soundie" like some other reviewers, but I thought that the sound was accurately reproduced, and had decent bass.

The actual earphone parts I found a little fiddly to get into my ears initially (this was my first in-ear pair), but once I got used to it, I had no problems at all. I also found that there is very little sound leakage from them, so other people don't have to listen to your music; they also manage to block out a lot of outside noise as well, which is handy if you're on a bus or something.

The only thing that kept me from awarding 5 stars was the quality of the wire. After a while I found that the wire sleeve detached from the headphone jack and the earphones, exposing the wires in each case. This cheapened the set, in my opinion, and I ended up throwing them away. This didn't happen until after about 6 months, though, so if you replace your earphones often, then this shouldn't be a problem for you.

In summary: great earphones, great sound, pity about the poor quality wires.

A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish, 4th edition (HRG)
A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish, 4th edition (HRG)
by John B. Butt

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, but not for most beginners, 5 Dec. 2006
This is, undoubtedly, -the- grammar reference for those learning Spanish. It has a high level of detail that will appeal to those with a working knowledge of the language, but may be intimidating to someone new to Spanish.

The text is liberally interspersed with examples, and is very clear - particularly with the glossary at the back, which contains explanations of various grammatical terms that are used.

I would consider this book to be a 'must-have' for anyone wanting to get a firmer grasp of Spanish grammar.