Profile for Diana Foster > Reviews

Content by Diana Foster

Diana Foster (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
This Is How You Lose Her
This Is How You Lose Her
by Junot Diaz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing, 29 Mar 2013
These stories are written in a wonderfully racy colloquial Spanglish. The writing is unique and intriguing, often excellent.

The book gives the reader a great insight into the life of the immigrant Dominican community to the USA. All of the stories - bar one - are about a teenage boy/man called Yunior. One can only assume that Yunior is the author Juniot Diaz himself, especially in the final story 'The Cheater's Guide to Love.'

My only criticsm is that beacuse they are all about the same character - Yunior - they tend to become somewhat tiresome if you try to read one directly after another. My advice would be to take a break between each story.

Overall, excellent.

The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam
The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam
by Chris Ewan

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 22 Mar 2013
This really is an outstanding novel. The plotting and characterisation are superb. I have read TGTGT Paris and will now read TGTGT Venice, Vegas and Berlin. I do hope that Chris Ewan keeps producing these comic capers even though he has lost his UK publisher.

The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guides Book 2)
The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guides Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absurdly entertaining, 21 Mar 2013
This is the first novel that I have read in 'The Good Thief...' series and I have to say that I found it absurdly entertaining!!!! A really quite extraordinary piece of writing. It has style, plot and characterisation, but most of all it is such an easy read and so compelling. I will now read the Amsterdam book - the first book in the series.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 16 Mar 2013
This book is really one of two halves: the present day story of the adventurous party and the chronology of the life of the old man. I don't think that the dual narrative worked though and I only read the present day story. Nevertheless the half of the book that I did read was good.

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite wonderful, 16 Mar 2013
This really is the Bees Knees. And for only 20p! Really enlightening facts. I don't actually watch the TV programme, but think I should.

Swimming and Flying (Kindle Single)
Swimming and Flying (Kindle Single)

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Garbage, 15 Mar 2013
This really is the most self-indulgent piece of writing that I have ever come across. Does Mark Haddon think that because 'Curious Incident' has sold so many copies that he deserves this indulgence? Because he doesn't.

God's Own Country
God's Own Country
by Ross Raisin

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Dire, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: God's Own Country (Paperback)
What an absoluteley dire piece of writing this is. I paid £6.99 to download it to Kindle. I can't believe this novel even found a literary agent let alone a publisher. And all the plaudits heaped upon it! Before I read this I listened to a 30 minute Podacast of 'The Book Show' on BBC Radio 4 where young Ross Raisin discusses the book with James Naughtie and an audience of readers. They behaved like the book is some sort of minor masterpiece. My God, it certainly is not.

Do lit agents and publishers have some sort of idea of what is good for us?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2013 9:35 PM BST

The Swimming Pool Library (Vintage Blue)
The Swimming Pool Library (Vintage Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining romp, 9 Sep 2012
In a review for Hollinghurst's 'The Line of Beauty' I described the first eleven chapters as 'absurdly entertaining.' I would say the same of much of 'The Swimming Pool Library.' It provides a real insight into gay life and is highly entertaining. My only reason for not giving this book five stars is that many of the descriptive passages are over blown and I found Lord Nantwich's diary entries tedious. Once again I think that Alan Hollinghurts needs a good editor. Nevertheless I would give this novel the highest recommendation for entertainment value. I also like the way that the author goes inside his narrator's head and describes his thoughts and feelings. I have now read this and 'The Line of Beauty' and 'The Stranger's Child.' What next? Am I ready yet for some Edmund White?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 3:50 PM BST

The New York Trilogy: "City of Glass", "Ghosts" and "Locked Room"
The New York Trilogy: "City of Glass", "Ghosts" and "Locked Room"

1.0 out of 5 stars Really dreadful - avoid at all costs!!!, 4 Sep 2012
What a terrible book this is - unreadable in fact. I am surprised that it found a publisher. A complete waste of time and money!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2014 1:11 PM GMT

The Quiet American
The Quiet American

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have made an excellent novella, 4 Sep 2012
This is a good 200 page book. It would have made a thrilling 100 page novella. The sections where the action moves to the War in the North are just filling up space and interrupt the central narrative which is based in the South of the country in Saigon.

If we had just had the main action in Saigon a thrilling one hundred page novella would have resulted.

Page: 1 | 2