ARRAY(0xbb201678)

Profile for jbjandtxf@hotmail.com > Reviews

Content by jbjandtxf@hotm...

jbjandtxf@hotmail.com (London)

Of Mice and Men (Penguin Modern Classics)
Of Mice and Men (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Steinbeck
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book that has ever made me cry, 2 Dec 2001
What a compelling, emotive, majestic novel. This book is so simple, yet so incredibly complex. It is very short with a basic story line but the sheer magnitude and intensity of the relationship between the two main characters, George and Lenny, is so brilliantly overwhelming.
Lenny relies completely on the guidance of George to get him through everyday life. The whole book follows the friendship between the two men - Lenny's 'gentle giant' representation and George's tough exterior with a soft heart. The ending is so swift yet so, so incredibly moving, that I fully wept at the last few pages. Once I closed the cover of the book, a wave of that warm, satisfying feeling consumed me when you know you've just finished a book you won't ever forget.
If you want to be the proud owner of such a classic and want an excellent read without the sheer weightiness of a pre-twentieth century 700-paged book, this short work of genius is just the ticket.

Cheap & Evil Girl
Cheap & Evil Girl
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Young, raw talent at its best., 30 Nov 2001
This review is from: Cheap & Evil Girl (Audio CD)
I stumbled across 'A Cheap and Evil Girl' via Napster which is where I discovered 'David Duchovny'. I thought it was refreshinly fantastic and so had a listen to a couple of other songs by her. I loved all of them and so decided to buy the actual album and what a brilliant purchase that was.
This CD is a great debut album. Sharp's lyrics are honest and inspiring. She has huge potential to become internationally famous due to her talent. Her music is country/rock, kind of like Sheryl Crow. The songs are full of attitude, warmth and deep felt emotions. My favourite is easily 'Faser, Faster' with that fantastic solo guitar introduction that sets the hairs on the back of my neck standing each time I listen to it.
I really would recommend this album if you appreciate this style of music. Then again, I aquainted a Slip-Knot loving friend of mine to listen to this album, who was very cynical at first, but then ran to her computer straight away to purchase it over the internet. You really will fall in love with Sharp's music undoubtedly. If Sharp released her wprk over here, she would be a sensation. I cannot wait until she releases another album. If she manages to sustain this originality, I will be very impressed.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Stumbled upon a classic album, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
A few months ago, I was trying to think who sung that song 'Fly Away'. I soon found out it was Lenny himself and knew that I loved his song 'Are You Gonna Go my Way' aswell. I had some extra cash lying around that I wanted to spend on music so I thought, what the hell and bought this album. I wasn't at all sure what to expect, because I had only heard of two of his songs before, the two mentioned, so it was kind of a stab in the dark.
I'll say now that I am thoroughly glad I did purchase this. I was highly pleased with every single song on this CD, I particularly like American Woman, Rock and Roll is Dead, Mr Cab Driver and Always on the Run.
Lenny does a great job and this CD definitely does hold his greatest hits. It's certainly worth buying, even if you're not a particularly huge fan. I wasn't, but this album changed that. If you liked his more famous 'Are you Gonna go my Way' and 'Fly Away', you will most definitely like all the other songs on this album. Easily worth a high position on your CD rack.

MTV Unplugged
MTV Unplugged
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Done to perfection, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: MTV Unplugged (Audio CD)
I'm not really an unplugged music lover. I already had 'Best of Me' and was given this album as a Christmas Present. A lot of the songs on this album are also on 'Best of Me' which kinda put me off listening to it for a while, but I'd have to say that both have their own uniqueness and are equally fantastic.
Bryan performs marvellously throughout this album. The live versions are quite different to the originals, such as Summer of '69 which is missing the drums for the first half, but it's a great version of such a classic song. I particularly love the blues jam they did mixing if ya wanna be bad - ya gotta be good and let's make a night to remember.
Heaven, I'm Ready and their blues mix have to be my favourite tracks on this album. Do not doubt buying this CD because many of the songs are already on Best of Me, if you have it. They're both very different albums and both brilliant. Adams Unplugged is most definitely worth buying and I'm sure as hell glad I was given it for Christmas, or I may have never listened to it!

The Globe Sessions
The Globe Sessions
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 3.26

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great artist - a fantastic 'best hits' album, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Globe Sessions (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to this album, I didn't really listen to it, not properly. The second time I listened to it, it didn't come out of my CD player for at least a month. After every playing of this album, the songs seem to have more meaning and you really do get a feel for it.
It is an excellent album to mellow out to. It's great for some easy listening. Most of the songs are quite relaxing, apart from the more upbeat Mississippi. My favourites on this CD would have to be Riverwide, The Difficult Kind (brilliant), Anything but Down and Am I Getting Through.
She really is an excellent artist. The guitar is fantastic and her voice is as brilliantly husky as ever. This is definitely worth buying. It's pretty much a 'best hits' album for her, so if you're going to buy an album by Sherly Crow, get this one.

These Days
These Days
Offered by hifi-media-store
Price: 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - one of the best, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: These Days (Audio CD)
This album of Bon Jovi's doesn't seem to be as hyped up as the others - but hell, it really should be. It was the fourth album I bought of theirs and I'd have to say, it is easily my favourite. Some of their best work is on here and it seems that the theme is heavily tilted towards love, be they in the form of hard rocking songs or the softer ones like Diamond Ring.
My favourites would have to be Bitter Wine, These Days (fantastic) and My Guitar Lies Bleeding in my Arms. This last song has a great eerie sound towards the end as Jon belts out thsoe words, which always causes goosebumps.
I agree with previous comments that it's just one of those albums you put in your CD player and never seem to take out. You can listen to it over and over again and it never gets boring. It is most definately worth investing in, be you a fan who hasn't yet bought it or a newcomer who wants to hear some of the best of this brilliant rock band.