Profile for J. M. McDermott > Reviews

Content by J. M. McDermott

J. M. McDermott "big_mac_99" (Northants, UK)

Winter
Winter
by Gerda Muller
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Illustrated..., 18 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Winter (Board book)
This book is beautifully illustrated, with remarkable attention to detail. The great thing about this and the companion books in the set is that with no words, you have to make the story up yourself. Sounds daunting... but at first you just describe what you see. Soon you find yourself adding little bits here and there, and before you know it you are making up little stories...

Epson Stylus R800 Inkjet Colour Photo Printer
Epson Stylus R800 Inkjet Colour Photo Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars Three years on...., 30 Nov. 2007
I bought this printer in Nov 2004, and I must agree with the majority of comments, the photo quality is stunning... IF you use Epson Inks AND Epson paper.

Here we get to the nub of my gripe - not against the product but against Epson:- The cost of consumables is ridiculous!

- If you stray into the world of compatables then you will not get anywhere near the 'Lab' quality that this baby is capable of, especially Glossy prints (from what I've seen the Gloss Optimiser only seems to do the biz on Epson Premium Glossy...).

- If you use compatable inks then the gloss optimisation doesn't seem to deliver, regardless of the quality of paper, Epson or otherwise.

- I also echo a comment from an earlier contributer, that ink seems to be used every time the printer is switched on, I guess to maintain the print heads or something like that.

- But to add insult to injury it appears the printer is set up to 'waste' ink every time a cartridge is changed - when you change one ink cartridge, it uses a little bit of ink from all of the other cartridges as part of the priming sequence.

All in all, this is a quality bit of kit but is so-o-o-o-o expensive to run - even if you use a bulk deal for the full set of cartridges it'll cost you nearly £80 a throw.

I will have to think long and hard about having another Epson after this one!

Hahnel Powerstation TC Compact Max Battery Charger + 4xAA 2350mAH NiHM Batteries

5.0 out of 5 stars So much for so little..., 20 Jun. 2003
I've been using this charger since March this year and it has saved me a bundle in buying AA batteries. My Digital camera eats Duracells for breakfast but the batteries that come with this little beauty keep me snapping all day long! I have two batteries in the camera and two charged up ready to go in, no problem! Don't get me wrong, this is a basic bit of kit and doesn't charge particularly fast, but it 'does what it says on the can', for a very reasonable price. If your camera takes four AA's I would recommend investing in an extra set of batteries to go with the four that come with the charger. That way you'll always have some ready to load.