ARRAY(0xa9295354)

Manfrotto 460MG 3-Way Magnesium Head
Manfrotto 460MG 3-Way Magnesium Head
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera head, 1 Aug 2010
I'm using this with my Nikon D300s + battery grip + tele lens and it is rock solid despite its light weight. I much prefer the 'stumpy' control knobs rather than the long handles as they don't get in the way. Combined with a Manfrotto set of legs (I have the 055XPROB set) and it is a great bit of kit. It's not perfect, but I've used it for video too and the pan action is quite smooth for a stills-based head. Highly recommended.

Nikon COOLPIX L12 Compact Digital Camera - Silver (7.1MP, 3x Optical Zoom, 2.5 inch LCD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very average camera, could not recommend., 9 Aug 2007
Being a big Nikon fan, I went for this little camera to supplement my Nikon D50 DSLR. What a disappointment. At best it is an average point-and-shoot, at worse it is almost unusable in some circumstances. The camera is slow, slow, slow! It takes a long time to focus, a long time to display the photograph you have just taken (meaning taking several photographs in a row is near impossible) and in particular it takes a long time to recharge the flash. Speaking of which, the camera seems intent on not using the flash unless it absolutely has to - often resulting in grey, grainy photographs. This means I often have to override the camera defaults, which rubs against the idea of a point-and-shoot! Shots with the flash are, in fairness, pretty good and in general the photographs are not bad. If does get very confused if there is a bright light source in the frame (including the sky!) and regularly underexposes. Okay, coming from using a DSLR I could accept that maybe I had a high baseline comparison, and that point-and-shoots have these sort of limitations; Normally I would accept that, but for the fact that my wife's similarly priced Sony is so much better it puts Nikon to shame. Now wishing that I had not thought the idea of having the same camera as my wife was silly, and bought the Sony (DSC-W50) instead.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 Digital Camera - Silver (6.0MP 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5'' LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money from a Sony and a great camera!, 27 July 2006
After Sony required twice the original purchase price of my wife's last Sony 'point and shoot' digital camera to repair the LCD screen, I decided that we may as well just buy another camera!

I was weary of going back to Sony, but after the positive experience with her previous camera in terms of image quality (especially indoors) and after looking at the alternatives I decided to stick with Sony. I was particularly impressed that the LCD has an integrated plastic protecting cover, unlike many of the alternatives which leave the vulnerable glass front of very large LCD screens completely exposed. Something of a concern to us now that we know the price of a replacement LCD screen!

I have a Nikon D50 DSLR, and although that is obviouly in a different league, I am still very impressed with the quality of the results from a camera costing a fraction of that of the D50, and would consider it to be a worthy companion to the D50. The D50 can be a bit of a bore to lug around at times and hence often gets left at home save for special occasions, whereas the W50 goes everywhere with us!

My wife finds the Sony very easy to use and it produces clear, in focus photographs with very few exceptions. Battery life is good, especially compared to her previous AA-powered Sony camera (although standard batteries are often a distinct advantage when somewhere remote!) The majority of 'work' the camera does is indoors, for online auctions listings and photos of our two young children. For that you can't fault the DSC-W50, although as you would expect from any small camera because of the small lens photographs outside do generally produce better results.

Build quality is excellent. The case feels very sturdy and will no doubt prove resilient to wear over the years, unlike plastic equivalents. The metal case was the main reason I chose the W50 over the W30. Along with a larger LCD, I believe the small price difference is well worth paying to get the better model.

The only negative point I would mention is that the resolution on the 2.5in LCD is not that great compared to other cameras with similar sized LCD screens. I guess that is the compromise being made to keep the price competetive. It is not unuseable by any stretch of the imagination, although for checking fine focus I would not rely on it.

Sony have obviously pulled their socks up from their early digital camera days, when I swore a would never again buy another Sony digital camera; now I would recommend them to anyone!

Live and Work in France (Live & Work)
Live and Work in France (Live & Work)
by Victoria Pybus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, good insight., 9 Jun 2006
I don't know what the people who rated it low were reading, but it wasn't this book! This is one of the best books I have found on the subject. It is pretty comprehensive, and provides useful insight and information into living and working in France. Being last revised in 2002 I suspect that some of the tax/legal information is perhaps out of date, but one should always check these things yourself before commiting to something anyway, as they are always subject to rapid change.

Chasing Time - The Bedlam Sessions [DVD + Bonus CD]
Chasing Time - The Bedlam Sessions [DVD + Bonus CD]
Offered by Free Express
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and great, 8 May 2006
CD and DVD together prove excellent value for money when most CD's cost this much alone! The music is fantastic, I always prefer live recordings as there is much more feeling to the music, as opposed to the highly polished studio versions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3