Profile for HD > Reviews

HD

Omega Arcane
Omega Arcane

5.0 out of 5 stars personal favourite album of 2013, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Omega Arcane (Audio CD)
Shade Empire is a typical Finnish metal band - great skills mixed with imagination. They produced one of the best albums of 2013 but without a well-deserved recognition calculated in the number of fans (though their numbers grow!). Although each album in their career has been given a good feedback from the press and the fans, they are still much in the underground. This surprises me greatly. I really hope that this record, "Omega Arcane", will become a breaktrough for this symphonic death metal cohort who created a bombastic musical experience in terms of the lyrics and music itself.

There is no need to write a lot about it because without listening to at least the first tunes of the "Ruins" or "Disembodiment" one cannot realise with what they are dealing. So I recommend to try it out first and then, believe me, if you are a fan of symphonic or death/melodeath metal, you will come back to the Amazon straightaway and order this rercord. If you are not a fan, then you will find a perfectly-arranged, wonderful in all details, powerful and beautiful at the same time, piece of music of the highest standards.

The Darkness
The Darkness

5.0 out of 5 stars not only for the fans of Tuomas Saukkonen, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Darkness (MP3 Download)
I wanted to give 5 stars because it's an unique project.The Dawn Of Solace was a one-album band; still, it left a mark on Tuomas Saukkonen's style who recorded it on side of his main band, Before The Dawn.

The title itself sums up the whole idea behind the lyrics and music on the album. It can be called dark metal, but putting a label on it will not help. Basically, it is a very melodic/doomy metal with the charactersitic and powerful growling (Saukkonen) and clean vocals (Lars Elkind), all created more for a rainy mood and reflective moments.

For those unfamiliar with the work of Tuomas Saukkonen, it seems but a good album, but truly I would recommend it to listen to his other project-bands (Black Sun Aeon; RoutaSielu) as well as his main child, Before The Dawn (all of them disbanded in January 2013), and then to see "The Darkness" as a kind of an authorial indulgance in a more lyrical and emotional style.

The songs such as "Dead Air" or "I Was Never There" are probably the most known to the fans, but all the tracks create such an entity that buying the actual album (currently only in MP3 version, unfortunately) would be the best idea. And read the lyrics! It is all about the story inside, illustrated by wonderful music.

To sum up, it is a great piece of Finnish melodic and melancholy metal! A must-have for the fans of this subgenre, and those who want to travel to the darker side carried by this musical experience.

Wintersun
Wintersun

5.0 out of 5 stars A voyage through space, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Wintersun (Audio CD)
I give it 5/5 because for me this album came as epiphany. It seems conceptual but it is not even or coherent as one might expect from the thematic approach Jari Maenpaa had in mind. It is no wonder that he calls his music "space" metal - it is epic and melodic or fast and straight-to-the-point, but can be also lyrical in another place. That is why I think it is a kind of a voyage. Recommend it to all metal fans. It hardly gets boring after many times of playing due to its variety. If still not sure if buy it, then I recommend listening first to such songs as: "Battle Against Time", "Beautiful Death" or one of the most beautiful riffs from "Death and the Healing", then I am sure you would love to have it on your shelf.

Time I (Cd+dvd)
Time I (Cd+dvd)
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth my time, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Time I (Cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
My appetite for Wintersun was really sharpened after their first tour in Europe (2005-2006) when I discovered that they were actually one of the most original and promising metal band in its genre. But I'm not sure what that genre is at the moment. Jari Maenpaa is a typical 'auteur' and produces whatever he likes, from early melodic death through to power/epic/symphonic (or even cinematic) metal with a lot of great riffs, nice growlings and clear vocals to make it more epic; plus his band bring technical perfection to all his compositions. this makes Wintersun stand out on metal scene. Although Time I divided opinions about Wintersun among metalheads, this album is definitely an achievement for the band. after so many years of silence, I honestly say, I did not expect something so different yet so "Wintersunnish" on this last album. However, I rate it only 4/5 because we all know there will be Time II and this might be the one I would love rate higher, so I am leaving some space for that.
I would recommend it for people who liked self-titled album in 2004, but are interested in new sounds and multi-layered complex compositions. The DVD makes Time-experience even better because of the live rehearsals on which sound is rougher and more immediate. If you are not a fan, but like exploring beyond metal subgenres you are used to, then it is definitely worth its price. But it needs more than one hearing due to its complexity, and it takes time to adjust your ears to all the orchestrations and overlapping melodies and vocals.