Profile for C. Halford > Reviews

Content by C. Halford

C. Halford "Rookie Romance" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss Book 1)
Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sexy rock star romance, 17 Sep 2014
Originally given 3.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

Molly is very understandably wary of dating someone in the public eye, after her father was embroiled in a scandal when she was younger. So when Fox, rock star sex god, approaches her, she tries to resist and to use her head but it is ultimately futile. Molly was a great character, she's independent and in control of her own line-height which is exactly what she wants. But when things develop between her and Fox she's not afraid to stand up for herself and for them.

Fox is very, very sexy sounding. He has a bit of a temper but I loved that Molly was always able to reach him through his anger. He had a rough childhood and it made him very cautious about love, he has hidden vulnerabilities which made him very sweet towards Molly.

Whilst this wasn't too much like insta-love, Molly and Fox have an immediate connection that burns up the pages. I loved how intense Fox was from the start, Molly never stood a chance at resisting him!
I really liked the secondary characters in the story as well. We meet the rest of the guys in Fox's band and I enjoyed their dynamic. We also get to know Thea, Molly's sister and Charlotte, Molly's best friend, rather well. I'm definitely looking forward to their stories.

Overall this is a thoroughly enjoyable and sexy romance, with a very satisfying conclusion. I'm very eager to see what will come from the rest of the series!

Beauty's Beast
Beauty's Beast

3.0 out of 5 stars Appeals to fans of Beauty and the Beast retellings, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Beauty's Beast (Kindle Edition)
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

I am a huge fan of Beauty and the Beast retellings, and as I started to read this, it became apparent that there is also a bit of a Phantom of the Opera theme too. So really, that got me all kinds of excited, my two favourite stories in one- hell yeah!

Kristine is a very sweet girl, and a surprisingly robust heroine. A slightly odd way to describe her, but it fits. Kristine is waiting to be hanged when she is saved by a mysterious and sinister Lord, who wishes to marry her immediately. Despite this whirlwind of events and her fear, Kristine resolves to be the best wife she can be. She is very innocent and naive, but she has a very clear way of thinking that I appreciated. It would be far too annoying to have a heroine in this story who acted too much the part of a damsel in distress. Kristine's love for Erik grows slowly but he earns her unflinching loyalty and devotion towards the end.

Erik is a very sympathetic character. It's very easy to empathise with his pain and loneliness. The curse from his former mother-in-law is slowly turning him from man to beast, but he's determined to uphold his promise to his deceased father to have an heir before it's too late. Hence his reasons for marrying Kristine. He doesn't want to care for her because he knows that he won't be able to stay with her for much longer, but her sweetness slowly crumbles his barriers. He repeatedly tries to push her away but she doesn't let him.

I liked Erik and Kristine's relationship. It developed at a natural pace, though they had chemistry almost immediately. Despite the chemistry, I did think that the sex scenes were too brief which made it feel lacking in intimacy. Particularly in the beginning when Kristine was just performing her duty.

I struggled with the world building in this book. I couldn't quite figure out what the time period was meant to be, apart from that it must have been pre-1900. The paranormal aspects also confused me slightly because there seemed to be an open acceptance of the existence of witches and wizards, but not other kinds of creatures.
Personally, I found that the latter third of the book became too busy. I kind of wish that some aspects of the story (ie the werewolves) hadn't been introduced because it felt rather random.

There are some things that didn't work for me and brought my enjoyment down a bit, but at its core this is a very sweet, slow burning romance with an interesting plot that definitely left me intrigued with each new development. Overall, it's an enjoyable historical romance with paranormal aspects that will appeal to fans of Beauty and the Beast retellings.

*I received a review copy for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Nightingale: (Originally appeared in the print anthology THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY)
Nightingale: (Originally appeared in the print anthology THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY)

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet read, 2 Sep 2014
Originally given 3.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

At one time Dane and Jemma were young and in love, planning their quiet country life. Then Jemma married another man, titled and wealthy, for the sake of her family, leaving Dane heartbroken and he leaves to seek his fortune in India.
Years later and Jemma, now a widow, goes to Dane in an effort to stop a duel between him and her younger brother. When they meet again, years of anger and bitterness stand between them but so does their original and potent attraction.

Dane is very understandably angry when he sees Jemma again. She wants him to withdraw from the challenge set by her drunken brother, but he sees no reason why he should. He is still hurt by her decision years ago to marry another man when he was so in love with her. But it also made him the strong and wealthy man that he is today.
Jemma knows that she made a mistake when she gave up Dane, but she sets aside her nerves and her pride to go to him to save her brother's life. I loved that Jemma owned up to her mistakes and didn't pass the blame on to her family.

Dane and Jemma have a very emotional reunion and they finally have the chance to talk about what happened between them before, which I thought was very cathartic. They still love each other, despite everything, and you urge them to grab their second chance with both hands and finally be happy together.

Of course, it would have been better if the characters could have been more fleshed out, but that is often the way with novellas. Nightingale is a short, sweet read but it packs plenty of emotion within.

*I received a review copy from the publisher for my honest opinion. Thank you!

The Earl's Mistress
The Earl's Mistress

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and very sexy, 28 Aug 2014
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

I was thoroughly intrigued by this sweet historical romance that frequently took some decidedly steamy turns- much to my delight!

Isabella is desperately seeking a new situation as a governess in order to keep a roof over her head, and her younger sisters' heads as well. She reluctantly applies for a position as a governess for the rather notorious Earl of Hepplewood, but he offers her a much different position as his mistress. Outraged, Isabella leaves and is determined she won't see the disreputable Earl again. But soon she is back in his arms, and they both discover a darkly sensuous bond between them that won't be denied.

I really liked Isabella. She's strong by necessity and she would do anything for her younger sisters. She's rather selfless and I truly admired her. She could be indecisive about Anthony and what she wanted from him, but I think it works for the story. She's relatively sheltered about sex, as most women were then, so she's unsurprisingly shocked and confused about the feelings Anthony arouses in her and the things he does to her. I think it would have been totally unrealistic if she'd just taken it all in her stride.

Anthony is a wonderful character because he's complex and his personality is well developed. He comes across as a cold, ruthless rake, but there's an awful lot more to him. Sure, he is initially only interested in Isabella as his mistress and wants her in his bed. Yet soon enough he is fascinated and transfixed by Isabella and he would do anything to protect her. Anthony is unrelentingly loyal to those closest to him, and he is haunted by parts of his past that make him feel unworthy of Isabella. I also adored how utterly relentless he was in his pursuit of Isabella!

I loved the back and forth between Isabella and Anthony as they work out their relationship. It's not straight forward or easy, but it's definitely worth it in the end. They have a very passionate chemistry, and there are elements of dominance and submission in the steamier scenes which might not appeal to every reader- but they appealed to this one!

There's a very interesting part of the plot involving Isabella's repulsive cousin, Everrett, which grows in importance towards the latter half of the book, which adds some mystery and intrigue to the story line.
Overall, I was thoroughly engrossed in this story. I loved Isabella and Anthony's intense connection and thought they were such a sweet and deserving couple.

*I received a review copy from the publisher for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Debt Inheritance (Indebted Book 1)
Debt Inheritance (Indebted Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome start to the series!, 27 Aug 2014
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

It's no surprise to me that this book raised a myriad of emotions in me, and I was glued to my kindle whilst reading it. Pepper Winters has such a wonderful flair for dark stories, and she can can suck you straight into her style of twisted romance and have you thinking about it for days.

Nila is a really interesting heroine, and she has such contrasting aspects to her personality. She's very naive and sheltered, her father and brother are very protective and have kept her close. She doesn't date, instead she pours her heart and soul into her work as a fashion designer. When she is stolen away by Jethro, she's terrified about her fate but she still manages to show surprising moments of real strength that hint at the fierce fighter she is underneath. Despite the horror of her situation, I have high hopes that Nila is going to be a pretty awesome and kick ass woman by the end of her ordeal.

Jethro most definitely is an anti hero. At this point in the story he doesn't seem to have any redeemable qualities, except for an attraction to Nila. He's cold, cruel and calculating. He's happily willing to do whatever it takes to get Nila into his possession so he can take her back to Hawk manor. He's eager to begin using her as his own personal pet. Obviously, he's ridiculously hot and domineering so you definitely want him to become redeemable, but we'll see.

I completely devoured this book. It shocked me, and appalled me at times but I was entranced through the whole of it. It has a wicked allure woven through the words that makes you rather desperate for more!

This is only the beginning of a dark story that I suspect will take us into a labyrinth of surprises and corrupt history. There are a mountain of questions to be answered, but I'm happy enough to let it all play out gradually as the series continues. I'm very excited to see what the rest of the series will bring and to find out more about the characters!

You'll Think of Me
You'll Think of Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut novel, 27 Aug 2014
Originally given 3.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

Olivia and Luke were hopelessly in love, but Olivia's ambition to become a doctor draws her away from Georgia and to New York. Luke's life is in the South and he's furious and hurt when he learns of Olivia's plans to attend medical school in New York. Soon they're unhappily parting ways, and living their own separate lives.
Years later and Olivia has never found anyone who made her feel like Luke did. But she's a successful neurologist, and is finally moving back to the South to live in Georgia. When Luke reappears in her life, she struggles to keep him at a distance but the fire that was between them burns just as fiercely as it did before.

Olivia has fulfilled her career ambitions but it came at a cost- Luke. Now she has her independence but she doesn't let anyone come close enough to get under the walls she's erected around her heart. Until Nate, that is. Olivia rather desperately clings to that independence and whilst I appreciated that she didn't want to go through the pain of heartbreak again, she is also keeping herself from a happier future which was a touch frustrating.

Luke was kind of a mixed bag for me. He has the whole hot Southern country boy thing going, which I love. Throw in the fact that he's a smooth talking country singer, and I'm in swoonsville. Unfortunately the Luke of the past, in the flashbacks, really irritated me. I know he was hurt and felt that Olivia thought he wasn't enough for her because she wanted to go to New York, but it drove me nuts that he was so incredibly unsupportive of her dreams. I did like that he was so determined to win Olivia back when their lives intertwine again, and that she's always been the one for him.

The way this is written means that the POV switches between Luke and Olivia, and the past and present, quite frequently which is a little disconcerting. I think it would have worked better if Luke and Olivia's POV switches had been more distinct, for instance if they were separate chapters.

Overall, this is a very intense, sweet and steamy story about having a second chance with the one that got away. I'm very impressed with Lucia Franco's debut novel, and I'm most definitely interested to see what will come from her next. Maybe we'll get to read Nate's story, which would be rather fabulous!

*I received a review copy from the author, for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Rival (Fall Away Book 3)
Rival (Fall Away Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Swooning for Madoc, 26 Aug 2014
Originally given 4.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

Oh, I loved it. Love, love, loved it! I'm definitely a fan of Penelope Douglas' books and these characters.

I loved Fallon. She's feisty and seems completely fearless. She's so strong, but some of that strength came at a rather terrible price. She definitely has walls erected that she tries to use to keep Madoc out of her heart, but she has a particular weakness for Madoc that means that those walls crumble helplessly around him.
Madoc was also pretty darn amazing. I liked him in Bully and Until You, but I loved him in Rival. We get to see the real Madoc and not just the fun loving guy he presents to the world. He has such a wonderful, mischievous sense of humour which I think suits Fallon to a T and softens her a bit. I loved seeing this other side to him and seeing that he is surprisingly sensitive and haunted by Fallon's sudden disappearance when they were 16.

I adored Madoc and Fallon's love-hate relationship. It's often contentious and filled with tension- mostly sexual tension! At the beginning, upon Fallon's return, there are misunderstandings aplenty and both Madoc and Fallon have different sides of their story. I loved seeing their past slowly revealed from both sides until we get a full understanding of just what happened between them when they were 16. It broke my heart sometimes, and there's plenty of angst to go around in their story.

It was so brilliant to revisit with previous characters in the series as well. Tate and Jared are still as argumentative and passionate as ever. I loved seeing Jax as well, he's certainly grown up a lot. I am very excited to read his book, especially with K.C. as his leading lady! Penelope Douglas definitely has a way of capturing the reader and immersing them in an intense and heartfelt story.

Now....is it January yet? Because I really, really want to read Falling Away!!

*I received a review copy from the publisher, for my honest opinion. Thank you!

The Good Girl
The Good Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars On the fence with this one, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

Eleni was a difficult character to empathise with, despite her terrible predicament. I need to connect with characters to a certain extent for me to actually care what happens to them, and it just didn't really happen with her. She's abrasive, self-absorbed and crude. Don't get me wrong- there's a reason she's like that, she has a horrible childhood with abusive junkie parents. She works hard at school, but aside from that she's on self-destruct. I think if she had been a bit more toned down I would have liked her more- but then maybe the story wouldn't have worked as well.

Gabriel was a pretty fascinating character, I loved the glimpses into his mind. It's pretty much what I imagine looking into the psyche of a sociopath would be like. He yearns to hurt Eleni, and to begin with he wants to do this to help her find that spark of light inside of her. As her time with him progresses, he starts to lose that shred of sanity and give in to his darker urges. I always wanted him to find his way through the dark, and it all comes to a head near the end of the book.

The writing flows well, especially considering it's a collaborative work between two authors. The chapters from Gabriel's POV were especially gripping and my favourite parts.
In the end, I think this book was just a bit too dark and brutal for me. As much as I wanted to enjoy it more than I did, I couldn't quite get there. I definitely found it very interesting and struggled to put it down. It's intense and absorbing, with a plot that leaves you unsure of what could happen next.

*I received a review copy for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Abducted by a Prince (Cinderella Sisterhood)
Abducted by a Prince (Cinderella Sisterhood)
by Olivia Drake
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Cinderella spin, 21 Aug 2014
Originally given 3.5 hearts at Rookie Romance.

Ellie has spent years being treated like a servant by her tightfisted Uncle and spoiled cousin, Beatrice. She quietly spends her free time working on a children's book that she hopes will be the key to her independence and freedom from her callous family. Despite the mistreatment from her family, Ellie has a gentle and kind spirit and a core of strength that definitely helps her when she's accidentally kidnapped! I liked Ellie, but her behaviour as the story progressed often seemed at odds. She clings desperately to her plan for independence despite the chance to have a fulfilling future filled with happiness.

Damien is known as the Demon Prince, with a reputation as a merciless man and a seducer of women. He had a rough start in life and his parentage is a mystery that can only be solved with a key that he was given as a child. Unfortunately that key was stolen from him by Ellie's cousin, Walt, but Damien is very determined to get it back. So determined that he resorts to kidnapping Walt's sister, Beatrice, to force Walt's hand. Although he's quite a poor kidnapper, after snatching the wrong woman- Ellie. Damien isn't really the scoundrel that people think he is, although his reputation is most useful in the running of his gaming establishment. He can be gentle and sweet with Ellie, and he's also a loving Father.

The chemistry between Damien and Ellie is there almost immediately and it does grow into a sweet love. Both of them are wary about finding themselves in a real relationship. Damien has been burned in the past from his disastrous first marriage, and Ellie fiercely wants her independence.

This is a sweet and enjoyable spin on the Cinderella story. It didn't blow me away and I thought that Ellie and Damien could have used more characterisation, but I enjoyed the writing style and the plot. It's definitely a pleasant read though with some fun fairy tale elements.

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley, for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Knight of My Dreams: (Originally published under the title MOTHER MAY I? in the print anthology A MOTHER'S WAY)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, short read!, 21 Aug 2014
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

This was a fun and engaging quick read that has two very likable main characters find their happy ever after.

Alice is such a sweetheart. She's honest and smart, which aren't necessarily the desirable attributes for a wife in this time, but she's perfect for Jonathon.
Jonathon is pretty adorable with Alice. He's evaded his Mother's marriage schemes for a while, but she definitely gets the better of him with her latest choice of potential bride in Alice. I also really liked Jonathon's relationship with his Mother. Jonathon is a warrior so he is strong and brave, but he's also got a wicked sense of humour and a gentle spirit.

Alice and Jonathon have a really sweet relationship, and they are instantly smitten with each other. Although Alice still tries to put aside those feelings to help him find a bride.

Overall, this is a charming and very sweet novella that easily captures your interest and leaves you wanting more. Perfect for a quick romantic read.

*I received a review copy from the publisher, for my honest opinion. Thank you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20