Profile for J Mac > Reviews

Choccywoccydoodah: Chocolate, Cake and Curses
Choccywoccydoodah: Chocolate, Cake and Curses
by Christine Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but......., 15 May 2015
This is a substantial and gorgeous production as to be expected from Christine and her team.
However I would be slightly more agreived had I payed the full price of £25.00.
As the book contains no instruction on creating a choccywoccy cake (no, not even the one on the cover!).
The book does gives insight to the staff and history of choccywoccydoodah, along with their favourite chocolate and non chocolate recipes.
I would say that this is one for 'fans' of the show, not for those cake artist out there looking to create a choccywoccydoodah style cake.
I'm a huge fan so don't mind owning a copy of their first book.
Let's hope future publication are a little more revealing!

Bellissimo Wedding Cakes: 12 Elegant and Inspiring Tutorials for the Contemporary Cake Designer
by Helen Mansey

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 17 April 2015
Wow! Having admired Helen's work online, I was over excited to get my hands on her first publication.
It is a beautiful book, with detailed instruction and tips. I have had it in my hands only a couple of hours and have felt compelled to leave a review. I cannot wait to use the methods shown in my own cake designs. This book is a must for all serious contemporary cake designers.

Bake It Like You Mean It: Gorgeous Cakes from Inside Out
Bake It Like You Mean It: Gorgeous Cakes from Inside Out

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 Mar. 2013
I own more cook books than I can count and have become jaded by the lack of creativity and originality in many of the baking/cake books being published.
This book is a breath of fresh air! Not since Karen Krasne's 'extraordinary cakes' have I been as excited by a new publication.
This has innovative recipes and techniques that Inspire. The cakes are stunning and very different to the norm!Some recipes are challenging, however the instructions given are very clear with easy to follow steps with fantastic tips.
I have made the tirimusu cake and it tastes as fantastic as it looks.
A superb book. Thank you for making it available on the kindle, as I do not have any more space for another cook book! I only wish more baking books were available on the kindle for this reason.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 1:46 PM GMT

Modernist Cuisine at Home
Modernist Cuisine at Home
by Nathan Myhrvold

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but Beware of Amazon packaging!, 12 Oct. 2012
This is a superb production, that more than lives up to expectations.

Thankfully it is more affordable than it's predecessor!

My only gripe is the way Amazon has chosen to send this weighty tome!

The book arrived without packaging yesterday, which I find incredible considering it's worth and size. It was simply sent at the mercy of the courier!

I informed Amazon and requested a replacement which arrived today with..........out packaging again!

Unbelievable, I now have two extremely damaged copies to return.

I have had clothing sent in ridiculously large packaging and other items sent in packaging that is way too small.

Surely someone somewhere could get this right?!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 2:34 PM GMT

The Very Hungry Frenchman [DVD]
The Very Hungry Frenchman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Raymond Blanc
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 1 April 2012
I totally agree with sue! This was a fantastic series from beginning to end and a 'must watch' in our house. Beautiful scenery and Raymond's passion for each regions produce, make this one of the best culinary shows produced by the BBC.
Constantly watched again on iplayer, so I am made up that it is now available on DVD.

We Had It So Good
We Had It So Good
by Linda Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging thought provoking read., 27 Mar. 2011
This review is from: We Had It So Good (Hardcover)
We had it so good, is an engaging thought provoking read.
A beautiful read, that will have you thinking especially about your own parents long after you have finished reading.
Linda's writing is accessible yet very clever a delight from start to finish. I forgot to eat and sleep whilst reading this!
I will miss Si, Andrea, Stephen,Ivan and even Grace!
Grant has that rare gift of being a natural storyteller, a treasure.
I shall be buying this for friends and family all year.

How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jay Baruchel
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Best animated movie ever?, 24 Feb. 2011
This has to be the best animated children's film ever. Fact.
The books by Cressida Cowel was a bedtime favorite in our house, so we went along to the cinema with trepidation. Would it live up to the book or be yet another poor adaptation.
We were blown away, this is a must see!
I watch this weekly. This is a feel good romp for all the family. This will never date. A gem.

Adventures of Julius Chancer: The Rainbow Orchid Volume 1
Adventures of Julius Chancer: The Rainbow Orchid Volume 1
by Garen Ewing

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic talent!, 12 Aug. 2009
I bought this today on the cover alone.
I wasn't dissapointed. Reminded me of my childhood visits to the mobile library to read and re-read TinTin!
The comparisons are obvious, however Garen is a welcome new talent in this genre.
I too cannot wait for the next installment.
A must for children and adults alike.

The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri 1)
The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri 1)
by Tarquin Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ..., 3 Jun. 2009
I enjoyed this book immensely, so much so, that I unselfishly gave my copy away at random on the bus!
As I feel this is a story not only be read but shared.
I urge discerning readers of detective stories or even those new to the genre to buy this title and enjoy.
Be transported to a modern India, with its vast cities and all the hustle and bustle, smells and sights and characters that entails.
Our protagonist is the likeable, chubby character called `Vish Puri', who runs a detective agency.
His routine cases mainly involve investigations of either the bride or grooms families of a proposed arranged marriage.
Throw in some villainous enemies and an interfering mother and life is far from humdrum!
At the centre of the story is the case of a top Lawyer who has been accused of murdering one of his maidservants.
Our detective and his undercover accomplices, must investigate and find the missing servant, whom if indeed alive could be anywhere, in a population as large as this, it is no easy feat.
Vish puri is highly acute, complex, and funny, with plenty of history. A well rounded character in every sense!
Mr Hall is a brilliant writer.
I loved the characters of Puri's accomplices, nicknamed, Face cream, Flush, Handbrake, Tube light and Doorstop!
I hope to see more of their characters in the next possible outing of Mr Vish Puri, `Owner of Delhi's most private' Detective agency.