Profile for Flix > Reviews

Content by Flix

Flix "~@~FLIX~@~" (West Midlands)

The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques
The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques
by Jan Eaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners and experienced alike, 7 Jun 2012
This book is excellent to keep as a reference book, whether you're a beginner or advanced in the art of crocheting.

The Heir to Longbourn
The Heir to Longbourn
by Laurence Fleming

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Heir to Longbourn (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, written very well by Laurence Fleming.

There are quite a few twists to the story, and there is a real bond between Mr Darcy and Lizzy (one of the sequel books I read made Lizzy out to be a timid woman who was unsure of her place at Pemberley and distrustful of her husband, but this book is so much better because they confide in each other often, and have a proper marital bond).

It's interesting for the main characters from Mansfield Park, Persuasion and Northanger Abbey to appear in the book.

***[[SPOILER]]***
Many of the Bennet sisters, Georgiana and even Mr Bennet (recently widowed) inter-marry with these characters which is mind-boggling at times but very interesting (for example, Mr Bennet ends up marrying Maria Bertram - whose brother Tom has married Georgiana - Tom's brother-in-law William Price marries Kitty Bennet, etc.)

All-in-all it is a very enjoyable read, perfect for taking on holiday or for a cosy winter's night-in. The hardback version that I have is a lovely size and quality.

I've now ordered the two books that follow on from this one - 'The Will of Lady Catherine' and 'The Summer at Lyme'.

Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD]
Little House on the Prairie: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Landon

5.0 out of 5 stars Little House: 37 years old and counting...but we still love it, 25 July 2011
We've had this Series for a while but recently started watching the episodes again - as soon as the music starts playing loads of memories come flooding back from when I was a child.

A heartwarming yet at times dramatic story of a family who move from Kansas to the little house on the prairie in 'Plum Creek' and nearby 'Walnut Grove', following their lives as Ma and Pa bring up Mary, Laura and little Carrie while living on very little but always remembering how to be happy and teaching their children how to do the same.

Recommended to all.

Lark Rise To Candleford - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Lark Rise To Candleford - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Sawalha

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to watch it back, 25 July 2011
I really enjoyed watching Lark Rise to Candleford when it was aired on the TV starting from a few years ago, and when the final series aired earlier this year, I decided I'd like to watch all four series again, so I bought this box set of Series 1 and 2. It was great to watch the first two series again, and I enjoyed them so much I've now ordered Series 3 to re-watch, too.

Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nokia 5230 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Fone-Central

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant phone for a good price, 1 Oct 2010
This is a really good phone (Amazon also delivered it very quickly with Super Saver Delivery, two days after I ordered it) - it exceeds my expectations of it.

It came with a 2GB MicroSD memory card, which I wasn't expecting. It also came with a car windscreen mount and suction cup, an additional battery cover in hot pink, a 'headset' which is needed for the radio to help reception as well as being the earphones (but you can switch to loudspeaker if you don't want to use the earphones), and three user guides - one for the phone itself, one for the car windscreen mount and one for the satellite navigation.

The internal GPS-receiver works quite well - it has eventually fixed on my position and so far I've only used it indoors, hence why it took so long. I imagine if I was outside it would fix on my position much quicker. However, if you have a Bluetooth GPS-receiver you can also use that, or if you have a contract with data allowance you could use the network and Assisted GPS, too.

Once you've downloaded Ovi Maps into the Ovi Suite on your PC, and synced data with the phone, selecting which maps from which countries you'd like (NB. You will need to purchase a USB lead as the phone doesn't come with one, however they are quite cheap, I bought mine for £1.60.) you're good to go. If you deselect Assisted GPS and Network GPS in the Options menu of Ovi Maps, you won't be charged at all for using the Sat Nav function, as you download, update and transfer maps and voices via your PC.

Being as this phone is SIM free you can transfer to any network you want, so eliminating the need for paying to unlock your phone.

Battery life and reception are very good, too, so all in all I'm very happy with the Nokia 5230.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2011 11:56 PM BST