Profile for Mr. A. J. Messenger > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. J. Mess...

Mr. A. J. Messenger "queen_adreena12" (Walsall, WM, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 2 [Blu-ray] [1988] [Region Free]
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 2 [Blu-ray] [1988] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek TNG...Blu-ray...What more could you want!, 30 Dec. 2012
Just buy it! You will not be disappointed!! The picture and sound restoration work makes TNG feel like it was only filmed yesterday and I am hoping that based on the success of these releases they will do the same to DS9 and Voyager!

Osiris Men's G3l Red/White/Black Trainer 1285706 11 UK, 12 US
Osiris Men's G3l Red/White/Black Trainer 1285706 11 UK, 12 US

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome shoes!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Osiris Men's G3l Trainer (Apparel)
After my old skater trainers decided to puncture and flood the sole I was searching for a worthy replacement. I have previously owned a pair of Osiris shoes and was very please with those. I have particularly wide feet and suffer with a high arch so I need a shoe that can accommodate my insoles. These shoes fit the bill perfectly and were a bargain at £56!! (if you shop around you will not find them any cheaper, normally about £80-90 from other retailers).

The red is not shocking either, it is a nice deep red almost scarlet and the quality of the shoe is great.

Sony MDRXB40EX Extra Bass Vertical In-ear Silicone Headphones with 13.5mm Driver Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome headphones!!!, 31 Jan. 2011
I bought these after my old headphones failed on me. I tried some other ones claiming to be brilliant that were more expensive than these and I was disappointed, but I had seen these before and thought about them again and I am so glad I did as they are brilliant.

The bass is truly great and has changed songs I love into something new and fresh again. Seriously, for [...] you cannot go wrong so buy them now!

Martyrs [DVD]
Martyrs [DVD]
Dvd ~ Morjane Alaoui

5.0 out of 5 stars Martyrs obtains martyrdom, 29 May 2009
This review is from: Martyrs [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film last night around a friend's house. I knew nothing about it and was really not that interested in watching a film, however, by the end I was glad that I had not protested.

This film is a rollercoaster of emotions and revelations. Beginning with a young girl who has been abused running out of a industrial building screaming is some opening. Move on 15 years later and she and her friend who you meet in the opening credits begin their journey creating a magnificent piece of French cinema.

I will not give any spoilers away but this film puts films like Hostel and Saw to shame. The problem is that this film is not for everyone, it does take some thought to figure out what is going on and believe me your feelings for characters will change throughout.

By the end you feel like you have been Martyred as it is tough to endure if you let yourself slip into the story, which I might add is very believeable. Watch out for the photographs in the film, they are real and what is described are true events.

All in all 5/5, I've just purchased it myself for my collection, and it is a worthy addition.

Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Offered by MICRO LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Resident Evil so far...., 16 Mar. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 5 (PS3) (Video Game)
After playing the demo I was waiting with anticipation for this game, it cemented my desire to just sit and play, which in the current gaming market is a rare occurance.

When I put the disc in my PS3 I was intially annoyed with the length of time it took for me to actually get to the game (roughly 20minutes) whilst the PS3 downloaded an update and then installed files on the hard drive. Don't let this put you off as the loading time once done is very fast.

Although still using the old control mechanisms, which for the modern gamer will feel like a step backward, I think this is a charm of the series, it would feel...wrong to change it, and it makes it harder to play if your having to stop to shoot your gun.

I completed it in just over a day (but I did do about 9 hours straight), and from start to finish I loved it. The locations, detail, characters and story were very good and strong.

The shift so that no matter what item only takes up one slot in your pack is welcome.

I really liked the co-op style too. Sheeva when I was playing was of great help, I've read that a lot of people find it hard with her being AI, but I didn't have a problem with her, and she got me out of a couple of tight spots I must say.

So, in the end play this game and love it for it's advancement in the RE story, it's old faults, and new charms.

Volta
Volta

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing album, from a truely unique woman, 8 May 2007
This review is from: Volta (Audio CD)
1. Earth Intruders - Funky upbeat track using tribal influence. Very good opening though I'm not convinced by the ship horns at the end.

2. Wanderlust - Soft and gentle, perfect following to track 1. Reminiscent of Homogenic and Vespertine.

3. Dull Flame Of Desire - Duet track, slow building and truly beautiful.

4. Innocence - Second best track on the album. Really good electronic sounds and powerful vocals.

5. I See Who You Are - Oriental influences run through this track, you can put it on and relax instantly.

6. Vertebrae By Vertebrae - Dominated by brass, this track is quite experimental in sounds, but is very good.

7. Pneumonia - Another good track.

8. Hope - Again another good track.

9. Declare Independence - The best track on the album, very punky with plenty of attitude, which is very rare of Bjork. If you don't like this track your insane.

10. My Juvenile - The perfect end to an album. Very mellow wind down from track 9.

11. I See Who You Are (Remix) - A superb remix adding extra electronic elements.

I loved this album from the first listening. I have now had it 4 days, and can't stop playing it through and through. It has a mesmeric quality that will just draw you in for more, and more.

Gears of War: Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Gears of War: Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars War arrives, and it is...Amazing!!, 24 Nov. 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What can I say. When I recieved the 'Gears of War' limited edition tin, I was amazed at how much detail and effort had been put in on the packaging. A big tin containing the art book, which is full of great images, and the fold out section with the 2 discs inside.

I had been waiting for this game since before the 360 release, and when I finally got to play it I was awe struck. The graphics of this game are litterally amazing, truely next-gen (unlike some other games on the 360). The smooth movement of the characters within the fantastic environments is truely stunning, and this is only the training level.

From here on in you will be mezmerised by the beauty of the game (though a bit grusome), and will love every second you play this.

PS3 eat your heart out.

The Cat Returns [DVD]
The Cat Returns [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hiroyuki Morita

3.0 out of 5 stars Shadowed by Spirited Away., 29 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Cat Returns [DVD] (DVD)
As a Studio Ghibli film, The Cat Returns is ok. Released just one year after the classic Spirited Away, to me it failed to rival that greatness for several reasons.
Firstly, it felt too short.
Secondly, the story lacked depth with little character development.
Don't get me wrong, the story as an idea is great. Girl saves a cat prince, she gets swept away to the cat kingdom as thanks by the cat king to marry the prince, but is rescued by a cat who is not quite a cat.
An ok film, but not a great Ghilbi one.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [DVD]
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Ghibli at it's original best, 29 Jan. 2006
This film is superb, purely superb, and being 21 years old it is amazing.
You follow the truely heroic Nausicca, the princess of the Valley of the Wind, on her quest to save the desoalte earth and figure out the meaning behind the expanding toxic jungle.
This was the film that rocketed Studio Ghibli into the eyes of the world, and it is a must have for any Ghibli fan or general Anime fan.

Pom Poko [DVD]
Pom Poko [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isao Takahata

4.0 out of 5 stars Racoon's aren't as cute as you think., 29 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Pom Poko [DVD] (DVD)
Another stunning film from Isao Takahata and the people at Studio Ghibli.
Set in the 1960's you follow 3 years in the life of a pack of Racoon's as Tokyo begins to expand and destroy their home.
These are not your ordinary Racoons though, they can transform themselves into anything they choose.
Plots, war, death to humans, ghosts, Gods, and much more await you in this film.
Be prepared for a strong message though, this isn't just a film about the Racoon's troubles, it highlights the issues of urbanisation and the loss of the countryside at the expense of our expansion.
A must have film for any Ghibli fan.

Page: 1 | 2