Profile for ellee > Reviews

Tiny Love Classic Mobile
Offered by Home Discount Ltd
Price: 39.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mobile, 9 Jan 2014
My "baby" (now almost 3y) loved this mobile so much that when it up and died recently (batteries leaked all over it), it had to be replaced. We had removed the arm and it was being used as a soothing music box for night time. It is perfect for this and I'd highly recommend it. Lovely peaceful music, plays for 20m and an older baby can start it herself which is great in the middle of the night.

VTech Lullaby Light-Up Lamb
VTech Lullaby Light-Up Lamb
Offered by gosling toys
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Mini disco? V unrestful..., 9 Jan 2014
This really didn't work for us. In fairness, I bought it for a 2 yo whose beloved tiny love mobile finally gave up the ghost. Perhaps if she had grown up with the lamb, it might have worked better. But it has only lasted a week in our house before being put out to pasture.

The music isn't great, sounds v tinny. I cojuld get over this if that is all that was wrong. After all, none of them sound brilliant.

The lights flash, sometimes quite fast and in different colours. Not exactly conducive to going to sleep.

She can change the settings from the night time setting herself.

She can also up the volume herself as it is on the front of the lamb and well within reach.

Result, a wakeful, irritable toddler who doesn't know when to quit and GO TO SLEEP!

It's gone. We're buying another tiny love mobile.

Most Amazing Hide-and-Seek Alphabet Book
Most Amazing Hide-and-Seek Alphabet Book
by Robert Crowther

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not the best ABC!, 3 Dec 2012
I thought this book was very good.

The best thing about it is the way the letters are laid out so boldy and clearly. It is maybe a bit strained in trying to find different animals and birds beginning with the letter... always a bit of an issue for ABC books I think. Nonetheless the interaction with the letters by lifting up the flaps etc is engaging for the children.

However, if you want an excellent ABC try Dr Seuss. That one is fantastic and focusses on the sounds (which is the important thing with letters) rather than trying to find endless objects beginning with whatever the letter is.
The numbers version of this books is top of the class.

The Most Amazing Hide-and-Seek Numbers Book
The Most Amazing Hide-and-Seek Numbers Book
by Robert Crowther
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for learning!, 3 Dec 2012
I thought this book was absolutely excellent.

The numbers to be learned are very simply done in large black type. No mistaking them.

To see what the number relates to you pull a tab or lift a flap and there appears the right number of creatures.

I think the act of seeing the number so clearly then having to interact with that number to see what it relates to is a great idea. Everyone learns better when they have to interact with the text in some way.

The children find it engaging, my ds loved it in his time and it has survived remarkably well for dd now. So quite sturdily made too for a pop up.

Highly recommend this. The ABC version is also good but maybe a bit more strained in trying to find animals and birds beginning with the letter... always a bit of an issue for ABC books I think. If you want a very good ABC try Dr Seuss. That one is excellent and focusses on the sounds rather than trying to find endless objects.

Naughty Bus
Naughty Bus
by Jan Oke
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Naughty Bus (Paperback)
Bought this for my little boy who is mad about anything on wheels. It's beautifully illustrated and the typography of the words also reflects the action, if you know what I mean, so words blurred to refect speed etc.

Very good book, my son finds it very engaging and often asks for it to be read. I think the unusual typogaphy catches his eye too and encourages him to look at the print as well as the pictures.

Medical Carrycase
Medical Carrycase
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Medical Carrycase (Toy)
I bought this for my little boy about 6 months ago. He (3y) and his sister (1y) get loads of fun from it. They especially like to feed me medicine and stick the various instruments in my mouth! The pressure cuff is also popular for some reason. I sometimes put raisins in the pill box to act as tablets.

The box makes it fairly easy to keep track of all the pieces. It's sturdy and handy for keeping them together when not in use.

The quality is pretty good for the money. Nothing has broken yet. I would definitely recommend it.

Junior Heroes Harry The Helicopter
Junior Heroes Harry The Helicopter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Toy, 9 Nov 2012
My husband bought this for our son when he was just 18m old. 2 years later it is still going strong, no change in batteries and has survived several dunks in the bath. It's very well made and plays lots of different sounds. V English mind you and quite possibly a recruitment tool! The only small criticism I would have is the helicopter noise is clearly the favourite one but you have to cycle through all the other chat before you get to that one.

Big hit with the small boy though, highly recommend it.

Kids Wooden Fire Staion
Kids Wooden Fire Staion
Offered by Online-BFR Sales
Price: 9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Kids Wooden Fire Staion (Toy)
My son received this as a present and he was enchanted. It is a lovely toy. He mainly likes the engine and bringing it in and out of the fire station. I have never noticed him playing with teh other pieces. He also gets frustrated as the fire engine is in two parts and easily comes apart.

I am less enchanted as I think the quality is not great. The wood is thin and the construction feels a bit flimsy. It uses wooden screws which come undone easily. The fire station sign is very poorly secured and constantly falls off. The wooden holes where it is slotted on are becoming damaged. You certainly could not sit on it. And the child is unlikely to get away with much sitting on it either!

Husband says it is the wood which is too thin and that wooden screws will not stay put.

So nice gift but not one that will is likley to endure and I certainly wouldn't pay too much for it.

Where The Wild Things Are
Where The Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Aug 2012
This is a great book. My son (3y) appears to really relate to a mischevious little boy with a temper who is sent to his room with no tea. He lets off steam there with the wild things and a wild rumpus and when he returns his supper is waiting, still hot. So mum and dad love him after all. Needless to say, our son is quite prone to similar displays of wildness and we both enjoy the story of Max.

The text is written a little oddly and it took me a reading or two get the swing of it right. But I much prefer it to say, I'm going on a Bear Hunt, which to me is written much more oddly and I have never settled into reading it easily. It just won't flow for me. Kids do like the bear though.

Enjoy!

We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Walker story board books)
We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Walker story board books)
by Michael Rosen
Edition: Board book

2.0 out of 5 stars They like it but is SO tiresome to read!, 20 July 2012
Such a tiresome book, I find it hard to read out loud for some reason, just doesn't flow for me very well. My younger child likes it though (1y) and has taken to making growly noises for the bear, thinks its hilarious :) esp if I act frightened. I suppose it is good to teach some action words, under, through over etc, and the smallies do love repetition but the thing is just SO dull, I can't bear it and have now stuffed it at the back of the shelf.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4