Profile for Zara > Reviews

Content by Zara

Zara

10 Best Social Media Sites For Marketing Your Business And How To Use Each One (A Quick Start Guide For Small Business Owners & Entrepeneurs)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for busy business owners, 28 Mar. 2013
I work with a lot of small local businesses that know they should be using some type of social media for their business but haven't done anything about it because they lack the time and expertise to understand each one.

This is a great resource business owners, especially those who are busy and feel nervous about being left behind.

Speed Writing for Nonfiction Writers: How to Double or Triple Your Daily Word Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of hacks and tricks to break the staring screen syndrome!, 28 Mar. 2013
I find it really difficult to write. It takes me forever to put anything pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard as we would say these days) even when it comes to writing emails, so I was very excited to find out what was in this book.

I do think that some people have a gift for writing, like the author of this book but I also knew being accustomed to self help books that there are a lot of hacks and tricks to make the process easier, and I wasn't disappointed.

There were a lot of useful tips that ranged from planning, organising and structuring what you will write first to how to get a more creative brain.

My only minor quibble with the book is that it is full of great ideas and tips that you can customise for how you individually work, it would've been nice to have it summarised somewhere to make sure your not missing anything.

Declutter Your Home in 10 Days (Upgrade The Home)
Declutter Your Home in 10 Days (Upgrade The Home)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and clear!, 27 Mar. 2013
This was my first de-cluttering book, real simple straight forward tips to de-cluttering the home. I don't have that many rooms to work with but I still found it useful going through each day with a different room.

Soup Diet Cookbook: No Wheat; No Gluten; No Hunger; No Belly Fat!: 35 Yummy Soups and Smoothies to Lose Weight and Belly Fat Naturally Without Hunger (How To Cook Healthy in a Hurry)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, 23 Mar. 2013
When I first looked at the book I originally thought the soup diet was about just totally living on soup, it's not it's about incorporating soup within your normal eating plans which will make you eat less.

It's funny as subconsciously I only ever order soup at restaurants when I'm really hungry. I got the book not so much for dieting but because I'm living in Spain at the moment where they eat very late around 9-11pm, this really doesn't help maintaining a healthy weight and I want something to take at that time which is light and but would get rid of the hunger pangs.

The book gives really great information about how the soup diet works, what to watch out for, cooking tips, how to effortlessly incorporate in your life and of course includes , very nutritional, hunger filling and healthy soup recipes,

It's also easy to get ideas and experiment with your own soups if you haven't got the ingredients or you want to be innovative.

This book is not just for dieters but those who want to incorporate other healthy meals in their lifestyles.

Gluten-Free To GO
Gluten-Free To GO

4.0 out of 5 stars Yum and Easy to find ingredients, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Gluten-Free To GO (Kindle Edition)
I'm not gluten intolerant but I try and avoid wheat products as they don't always agree with me, so I'm always looking for interesting, easy and quick healthy recipes and this book didn't disappoint.
The good thing also for me is that I have to live aboard for long periods of time so buying unpopular ingredients is near impossible, this isn't a problem with recipes in this book!

Would I Lie to You?
Would I Lie to You?
by Trisha R. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 1st book, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Would I Lie to You? (Paperback)
It's worth a read but no way as good as the first book "Nappily Ever After" which I loved and got gagging for more. The storyline got a bit to unrealistic for me, maybe because I'm not into music stars and glamour it really didn't interest me.

Don't Send A CV
Don't Send A CV
by Jeffrey J Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think differently!, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Don't Send A CV (Paperback)
I wanted to live in Barcelona, Spain only thing was I wasn't fluent in Spanish and jobs were scarce due to the economic downturn. Anyway I didn't let that deter me, I bought the book and followed the outline which basically is about marketing yourself and differentiating yourself. I did find a job, it took a while to get but considering all the hurdles I had to jump over, I wouldn't have got the job with out it.

1. Look for organisations: I targeted organisations that fitted with my skill set and where I wanted to live, this was really difficult because it had to be an international English company based in Spain, with my skill set. But I did find a few.

2. Research company: I then researched the company, who were the founders, what they did, looked on LinkedIn, Google etc...

3. Understand and know how you benefit the company, what is the economic value of what you can do for the company

4. Contact the person who can hire you: Now this was the most difficult one, I didn't have an email or number anyone of influence and I didn't want to send an email to the generic email.
However a few months later, I sent an email to a contact that I met 2 years at an business expo as he lived in Barcelona to know if he knew of any businesses that were hiring there. He remembered me and told me that he was actually working at the same company I was researching and they were looking to hire someone that fits in with my skill set. We scheduled a phone chat.

(Some would say this is luck but I believe you create your own luck by taking action)

5. So before the telephone chat : I made sure I had a list of questions to ask them, basically I was going to do more research on the company on the phone call. What are their pain points, where do they want go, you ask questions to extract information, do more of the listening than talking. These answers will help you answer your interview questions.

To cut a long process short, I didn't hear from him after that conversation which was in July, but I moved to Barcelona anyway in October, then out of the blue on a Friday in November, he sent me an email thinking I was still in the UK. I replied saying I was already in Barcelona,

He called me on on the Monday, he told me to come for an interview that day, I went and got a job offer by the Wednesday.

This book is great for lateral thinkers and those that want to do things differently.