Profile for Rob > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Pentax SMC FA28mmF3.2 - 105mmF4.5 AL[IF] Silver Zoom Lens
Pentax SMC FA28mmF3.2 - 105mmF4.5 AL[IF] Silver Zoom Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Check refunds are possible, 26 Oct. 2011
I have heard good things about this lens. However, if you own a recent Pentax camera (e.g. k-r and k-5) I would make sure that the lens can be returned before buying it.

I bought two copies of this lens, and both had problems focusing on my K-r. The focus won't lock. I had only recently bought the k-r so I was a little concerned the problem was with my camera rather than the lens. Therefore, I took the lens to the shop where I bought my k-r. They allowed me to try the lens on their cameras, and I had the same problem both on the k-r and the k-5.

So either ask if you can try the lens before buying, or check that you can return the lens for a full refund.

(Note: I have tried a number of other old pentax lenses, and haven't had any problems with any other lens, so don't let this review put you off trying other old lenses.)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bridge_Records

4.0 out of 5 stars Still not as good as the original, 6 Sept. 2011
Hearing about all the 10/10 reviews etc. I was hoping this would live up to the original.

In terms of look, and basic gameplay, this is actually very close to the original. In terms of the plot, conflict between different groups, trying to work out who is good and who is bad etc. I don't think this compares to the original.

I think I prefer Invisible War. I thought Invisible War was really under rated. It didn't compare with the original for game play and design and so on, but in the plotting and politics etc. I think it was a pretty good sequal. Human Revolution is better in terms of game play, but weaker in terms of plot and interesting ethical dilemmas.

The original is still the best. (And I don't mean the original, judged by 2000 standards, against this judged by today's standards. The original, obviously, has worse graphics and so on, but is just better in terms of choice and story etc.)

Ultimately, still good though.

Prem-I-Air 8L/day Desiccant Dehumidifier
Prem-I-Air 8L/day Desiccant Dehumidifier
Offered by Sales Direct Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 18 Aug. 2011
I originally bought the De'Longhi DEM10 Compact Dehumidifier

The DEM10 was good to start with, but then simply stopped working after a year or two. A few months ago I bought this one to replace it.

Happy with it so far, and I also prefer the size/shape of this one: it is taller than the De'Longhi, but also quite a bit slimmer, so easier to tuck out of the way.

Samsung S5620 Monte Sim Free Mobile Phone
Samsung S5620 Monte Sim Free Mobile Phone

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted, 18 Aug. 2011
I liked this phone when it worked. However, after about 7 months, the touch screen became problematic. Basically, the touch screen would become completely unresponsive. At first, I could turn it off, take the battery out, turn it back on, and it would normally start working then. But then this worked less often, and I would have to try this a few times before it would work again. Now, it doesn't work at all. Because so much of the phone works through the touch screen, it means I can get in coming calls, but that is about all. I can't see my texts. Obviously I can't send texts. Not recommended.

Deleted Scenes From the Deluxe
Deleted Scenes From the Deluxe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not sure the Deluxe is worth paying for, 18 Aug. 2011
If you are a big Caro Emerald fan, this CD/DVD may be worth getting, but it doesn't compare to the live CD/DVD/blueray set Live in Concert with the Grandmono Orchestra. (Available from her website.) That DVD is excellent, and also includes the concert on CD as well.

Personally, I don't like the 3 remixes. The first two songs on the DVD are probably the best thing on the DVD, but these are from the above DVD anyway. The five songs from the club tour, are fine, but don't compare with the Live in Concert DVD. (It includes backstage footage if that appeals to anyone.) And then it just includes the two music videos for a night like this and back it up. (You can find these on youtube if you want to see what you are getting.)

So I'd advise getting the much cheaper CD of the album, and then the Live Concert 3 disc edition. (Or even just get the concert, as I think the live performances are generally better than the album recordings anyway).

De'Longhi Compact Dehumidifier DEM10 - Grey
De'Longhi Compact Dehumidifier DEM10 - Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't last long, 15 Jun. 2011
Was good for a year or two, but now broken.

Turns on, and sounds like it is working, but doesn't collect any water.

Pentax K-r DSLR and DAL 18-55mm Lens Kit - Black
Pentax K-r DSLR and DAL 18-55mm Lens Kit - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 8 Jan. 2011
I sold my pentax k20D in order to buy this, and have been very pleased with the change. In fact, I'd probably even recommend this over the pentax K-7 (though of course this depends on how important the weather sealing is for you).

Some people say they wouldn't give up the dual dials and the dedicated buttons, but the info button is so well-designed (in addition to the excellent menu) that I honestly don't miss any of the dedicated buttons of the K20D. In fact, in some ways, I prefer the design of the k-r in that sense. To be honest, I think a part of this is just snobbery: the K20D and K-7 LOOK more professional, while the K-r looks like (and is) an entry level camera. But in terms of what is IN the camera, this may actually be better even than the K-7. If the K-7 and the K-r were the same price, I still would have chosen the K-r.

The main improvements, however, are fast auto focus and much better high ISO performance. (And these are the reasons why I'd even recommend it over the K-7, depending on whether you need the weather sealing. Of course, if you can afford the K-5...)

If you are torn between the K-r and the K-x, these are the main differences, as far as I can tell.

K-r has faster auto focus (but not sure how different it is. K-x was already better than the K20D.)
K-r apparently has better high ISO performance, but k-x already had a good reputation for this. (Not sure how big the difference is)
K-r has a focus assist lamp, which is quite a nice addition.
K-r allows interval shooting.
The K-r has the focus points appear in the view finder. (Quite a few people complained about the k-x lacking this.)
The k-x takes AA batteries, and the K-r has a lithium battery (but can take AAs, with an adapter).

Otherwise the K-x is a great camera too (won the prestigious TIPA awards - best entry level dslr 2010). K-r is very similar, so depends how much you care about the differences above.

Regarding Pentax v Canon or Nikon, it was relatively easy choice for me because I have pentax lenses already. But if you don't, one thing in Pentax's favour (apart from the fact that the k-x won the TIPA award) is the in body image stabilisation. Also, Pentax didn't change their lens mount when they moved from film to digital, so you can get old film lenses (including autofocus ones), and use then on the digital camera, with image stabilisation. (If you want autofocus, look out for F and FA lenses.)

Google pentax lens database for more details about individual lenses.

Edit: One other area (in addition to the weather proofing) where the K7 has an advantage over the K-r is quietness. The K-r is a fairly loud camera, with the sound of the mirror going up and down. The K7 is much quieter, as is the K5. Depending on how you use the camera, this might be a significant consideration. (DSLRs generally are quite loud, but I've heard a few people say the K7 and K5 are among the quietest.)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2011 10:35 AM BST

Cokin  BP-400 P Series Filter Holder
Cokin BP-400 P Series Filter Holder

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, and needn't be fiddly, 10 Oct. 2010
I have only just started using these cokin filters (though I bought Kood holders, as they are a little cheaper).

I do agree that it can be a little difficult to keep the filters clean, but other than that I would say these are easier, quicker, and less fiddly than the usual screw in filters. The trick is to just leave the holder on the lens (perhaps not permanently, but certainly while you are out).

Then adding a filter is just a case of sliding it in, so no harder than screwing a filter in.

Regarding taking the holder off, this is easy enough. In most cases (though perhaps not on the bigger filter sizes) you should be able to grip and turn the adapter.

Note: if you have anything wider than a standard zoom, you may want the wide holder instead.

Note 2: some people wonder whether to get a polariser for the cokin system, or to use a standard screw in one. I bought a hoya screw in one. When I went out photographing landscapes, on my own, with my tripod, this worked really well with the coking holder than screwed into that. However, when I went out with my girlfriend, and was alternating between taking snap shots, sometimes in low light (not wanting polariser) and taking landscapes, it was a pain switching over. So if you will consistently want the polariser, the hoya may be better (I've heard they are better than cokin) but otherwise getting a cokin polariser might be more convenient.

Finally, I also agree with the other reviewer who preferred the Hitech filters to the cokin ones.

B-Grip Digital DSLR Camera Belt Holder Grip System BGrip
B-Grip Digital DSLR Camera Belt Holder Grip System BGrip

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Oct. 2010
In brief, this makes photography (especially when walking/hiking etc) much more enjoyable. (And can even be used with tripods)

For background, I have a pentax K20D, which weighs 790g (body only) so on the heavier side, and then usually either a standard zoom or a prime (heaviest lens: Tamron 90mm - 400g).

I wasn't sure how comfortable I'd find this on my belt, but have to say I find it much more comfortable on my belt than around my neck. (To be honest, I was surprised by the other review saying it wasn't so good for a Nikon 300 and 18-200. That's not a lot heavier than mine and, as I say, I prefer having it on my belt than around my neck.)

Obviously, for big telephoto lenses, it may be different. But I can't imagine they're particular comfortable around the neck either.

Also, if you want to use it with a battery grip, and/or a flash, it may not be so good (not because of the weight, but because of how it would sit) - the spiderpro holster may be better for that. (That said, I have just tried it with my flash, and it feels fine - maybe just looks a bit odd with the flash sticking out, but then its not much different with a neck strap either. I don't have a battery grip though so can't try that.)

For anyone else though, the b-grip is half the price of the spiderpro, and is held more solidly without swinging.

With a neck strap, walking at any sort of speed, the camera swings so then I'd end up holding it (but still around my neck, so awkward to hold) or I'd just take it off and hold it, but then the strap is dangling (and useless).

Walking with this is so much nicer.

I also like the built in stand for the camera. Can occasionally be a useful table top tripod, but also just nice for putting it down, and being stable.

The one drawback (and another plus for the spiderpro) is that it works using the tripod screw. However, the B-grip plate does (more or less) fit with monfrotto tripods. I already had a Giotto tripod, but decided I'd rather spend £50 on this, and £50 on a Manfrotto tripod head, rather than spend £100+ on the spiderpro. (Was also an excuse to get a ballhead.)

I got a Manfrotto 496RC2, after trying it in the shop. (Not sure if all Manfrotto's use the same plates.)

NOTE, however, that the B-grip plate doesn't fit perfectly. Basically, it is about 1/2 the size of the manfrotto plate. That may not sound much use, but basically the length of the plate fits perfectly into the manfrotto, so then just a gap to the side. However, if you simply push the camera over to one side, I find this is still secure at least for standard landscape and portraits positions. It may possibly be different if using it upside down or something, but actually I suspect it wouldn't be. It feels pretty secure.

In fact, on the issue of tripods, this was the one issue that stopped me buying the B-grip as soon as I saw it advertised. Ironically though, I am now more likely to carry my tripod. I found it uncomfortable carrying my tripd and a bag - and with the neckstrap I wouldn't go out without a camera bag to put the camera in (either to keep it dry, or just because fed up with it around my neck). But now I am happy to go out without a camera bag (if I don't need an extra lens), and so more likely to take my tripod. (The B-grip also comes with a waterproof cover).

I may dislike neck straps more than most people, but I think the B-grip is great.

Cokin P252 Protective Cap
Cokin P252 Protective Cap

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it is supposed to, 10 Oct. 2010
I have two cokin-type holders - the standard and the wide - but neither are actual cokin ones, so that might make a difference. (I think mine are kood.)

On the standard holder, the cap fits perfectly. One reviewer says there is a gap between the cap and the lens, but I don't think there is a discernable gap. If you put the cap in the nearest slot (the one that normal filters won't fit in, which is for the polarising filters) it fits leaving no gap at all (as far as I can tell).

So it is ideal for just leaving the filter holder on the lens permanently, using this as the lens cap.

With the wide holder, however, the cap doesn't go all the way down. That said, it is is still adequate (for a lens with a 67mm filter size anyway) and - presumably - may fit better on the official cokin version.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4