Profile for Lucioperca > Reviews

Fortress
Fortress
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A GENUINELY EPIC PEICE OF WORK, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
I read a lot of reviews for this album ahead of going to see AB at Wembley this year. Some comments went so far as to call it their best album yet, which made me think "Hold on a minute ... they have done 3 immense albums ... are you sure this is that good?" but having listened to it non-stop for over a month I can honestly say they are right. Awesome song writing, superb musical blend and the tunes all just get inside your head. My particular favourites are the opening track Cry Of Achilles, track 4 Lover and track 9 Farther Than The Sun. That is now 4 stonking good albums from this band, who seem to get better with each release ... I heartily recommend you buy this ...somehow they have topped AB III ...and trust me that takes some doing

Seven Deadly
Seven Deadly
Price: 15.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Phil Mogg is as good as ever, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Seven Deadly (Audio CD)
The UFO/Michael Schenker split happened just as I was really getting into metal and I have to confess I was more of an MSG fan and much to my regret the whole UFO thing almost passed me by. It is only in the last 3 or 4 years that I have started listening to them properly, probably prompted by their repeated airplay on Planet Rock, which we have going all day at work. So when UFO came touring in my hometown, I decided to buy a ticket and also a copy of their new album so I have some sense of what I may be treated to. This is a really good album although I have to confess it isn't graced with those stand out signature songs that UFO became famous for. However, whilst none of these are instantly catchy in the vein of stuff like Lights Out, Doctor Doctor, Only You Can Rock me or Rock Bottom .... it is a collection of well crafted and especially well produced tracks. The complete stand out track on here is Burn Your House Down ... an absolute treat played live and a song I think is as strong as some of their early stuff and in a more laid back style similar to Love To Love. Year of The Gun, Other Mens Wives, Steal Yourself and Fight Night are the other stand out tracks for me.

If you get the chance to catch UFO live I would heartily recommend you do so ... Phil Mogg still has a pitch perfect voice, facially he has hardly aged and he puts on a great show, Vinnie Moore also gives a fantastic lead guitar performance for the crowd, Andy Parker is still relentlessly pounding the skins and Paul Raymond (also ex-MSG) is out there playing up to the crowd on guitars and keyboards. They are a superb live act, and my enjoyment was probably helped by the fact that Norwich Waterfront is a venue where you are literally 3-4 ft from the band, they are virtually in the crowd.

But back to the album ..... is this a UFO classic? No! Is it a good album? Hell Yes!! In short - I have no regrets about buying it.

Facemelter
Facemelter
Price: 20.02

5.0 out of 5 stars They come back with possibly their best album yet, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Facemelter (Audio CD)
I was never a huge Y&T fan although I did listen to them a fair bit back in their 80's heyday but by my other half loves them .... so as a Christmas surprise I completed the missing CDs in her Y&T collection ...one of which was Facemelter. And O...M...G what a stupendous return to the studio. This, in my humble opinion, is head and shoulders above anything they have done so far. Ok so I have to admit the old Meniketti voice isn't the well oiled instrument of the eighties, its rougher and more gravelly, but the quality of the song writing on Facemelter is undeniably good. I was so impressed I bought tickets to see them live on the 2012 Black Tiger 30th Anniversary tour and wasn't disappointed. Dave Meniketti (clearly suffering from a cold) put on a virtuoso singing and lead guitar performance, he played all the favourites and let me reassure anyone tempted to catch them live - don't panic, he has finally ditched the bright pink spandex jumpsuits.

Track 1 is a lengthy intro and not a track as such, more a build up - skip it, I usually do. Track 2 On With The Show is thumping song that only gets better when heard live, a real crowd bouncer is all I can describe it as. Track 3 How Long slows the pace down, slightly, but is again a song that will become a gig favourite as the catchy chorus is a clear sing-a-long hook for the crowd to shout back. Track 4 Shine On is just a quality song, lovely low key guitar intro phased into a thumping drum and bassline sound and great lyrics and guitars laid over the top. It will have you singing along while you drive I promise. Track 5 - I Want Your Money is a tongue in cheek song about someone being shallow or honest - you choose once you have heard it. Its just got a great sort of Blackfoot-cum-Skynyrd vibe about it. Track 6 - Wild Child is another well written song, catchy chorus and thigh tapping rhythm. Track 7 - I'm Coming Home is head and shoulders the best track on this and possibly any Y&T album. Superb opening guitar lick, thumping bass and drum rumble, easily understood lyrics and just a great chorus. This had the gig bouncing the roof off and if I had to produce a list of the catchiest metal songs I have ever heard, I'm Coming Home would probably be close to the top 10. Track 8 - If You Want Me brings the whole album back down a few notches with a lovely well written ballad, garnished with some great solo work by Dave M on guitar. Track 9 - Hot SHot has a sort of Sammy Hagar vibe, bouncy rhythm,pounding drums and a real rock and roll sound to it ... very Chickenfoot indeed. Tack 10 Blind Patriot is my least favourite on the album but the crowd went nuts for this one at the gig. As ever, a catchy hook and chorus make this an easy singalong track but not my personal favourite. Track 11 Don't Bring Me Down is back to form and a great song - there is a hint of The Who with some of the keyboard work going on, buts its a great high tempo track. Track 12 Gonna Go Blind is possibly the funniest song about masturbation since The Vapors released Turning Japanese. This is real tongue in cheek stuff but the actual music and vibe of this song are fantastic, a great track and proof that Y&T don't take it all too seriously. Track 13 One Life is another well written song that also harks back to Sammy Hagar (for me that is), its what I would call an album filler but a damn good one. The album then closes with the excellent Losing My MInd, a simply solid track in the same vein and standard as the rest of this awesome album.

Y&T are back in the UK in autumn 2013 and I already have my tickets for the Nottingham gig. This is an awesome album and if you only ever buy one Y&T cd ...make it this one ... you won't be disappointed.

Clockwork Angels
Clockwork Angels
Price: 9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rush Machine is relentless, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
I have read a lot of Amazon reviews and some other blogs and it would seem that opinions are clearly divided. Some reviewers have referred to a 'wall of sound' approach to modern Rush and I can see their point, it is a bigger and far more 'in yer face' Rush these days but a band cannot stand still and continually plough the same furrow for 40 years. I think this newer, louder, wider sound has a lot to do with Alex taking a greater hand in the bands musical direction. Go take a listen to his solo album Victor and you will hear some of the early beginnings of the sound that Rush are currently producing. Its heavier and far more thumping, with less reliance on keyboards and Neil Peart is taking a less extravagant approach to his drumming. Clockwork Angels was tantalisingly drip fed to the Rush faithful via the excellent Caravan EP, giving a sneak preview of what they had in store during the Time Machine tour, where the tracks Caravan and BU2B were played with great vigour and sounded great. The album itself is superb in that its a concept album of sorts but at the same time its a collection of tracks that very much stand alone in their own right, with the possible exception of Track 10 (see later).

So where do I start? Well the album opens with two EP tracks which have been out there for over a year, so the albums kicks off with a very familiar sound. Next comes the third and title track Clockwork Angels and if I had to choose any track to be the 'wall of sound' song, this would be it. Its a tight, pacey interweave of drum, guitar and bass that never really settles into a predictable rhythm. The tracks changes and swirls but keeps coming back to a hook that joins it all together. Its a good song but is overshadowed by many others on this album. Next up is track 4 The Anarchist which ramps the album up a notch. Its a fantastic up beat, hi tempo track with rumbling drums and Alex returns to the guitar sound used so well in the Permanent Waves era. Next comes fifth track Carnies which is something of a grower - it doesn't make any real impact but after a few listens the background hook and some sumptuous guitar work make this a superb song that gets in your head. Now we are starting to reach halfway and this is where the real treasures of the album are stored up. Track 6 is Halo Effect which wouldn't be out of place on Presto or Snakes and Arrows and has an easy laid back rhythm interspersed with a rock anthem beat .... its a real sing along track. Track 7 is Seven Cities Of Gold which will undoubtedly become a gig favourite with the chorus line that you just know the crowds will chant back at the band, its just a great track. Followed by track 8 - The Wreckers which verges on being one of the best Rush tracks in many years and has prompted some of my non-believer friends to make comments such as "Wow have you heard the new Rush track on Planet Rock?" . Its unbelievable catchy, so easy to listen to and would be one of the first tracks I chose if I wanted to get someone into Rush. Track 9 is Headlong Flight which was the first official single from the album. It opens with that superb Geddy Lee bass riff, trips into tumultuous drum rhythm from Neil and later has a wonderfully understated guitar solo from Alex, just a great return to form by the band. Track 10 is the token Rush puzzler - BU2B2 is a 1:20 track that is a low key track that links back to Track 2 and very much has that 'filler' feel about it and just nicely links you in to the next song. Would I listen to it as a stand alone track? Probably not but if I listen to this album end to end it just fits in nicely - not much more I can say really other than lets move on to Track 11. Wish Them Well is a thumping anthemic track that will be a gig favourite. Its got a sing-along chorus line, a great high tempo rhythm and allows Alex to unleash some of the guitar sound he used on Signals, its just a really good song. And then in typical Rush style they save the best for last .... just when we might expect an extravaganza of drums, bass and guitar to finish the album on a rock crescendo, they only flip the whole thing on its head and produce the most sumptuous, mellow and wonderfully crafted Rush song that I can ever remember hearing. As I write this I would have to say its a very real challenger to Marathon for the place as my all time favourite Rush track. Think back to when they released Signals and how 'leftfield' the track Losing It seemed at the time ... well this is in the same vein with violins, lush acoustic guitar, overlaid with clever lead guitar work, very understated drum work by Neil. Its just a wonderful, wonderful closer.

So, in summary I found this well worth the wait. I bought my 2013 tour tickets over a year in advance and I cannot wait to hear this track list played live this summer..... Rush continue to produce great music, really well written and I am glad they don't just stick to the populist formulae that would keep the 'old guard' in their fan base happy. I haven't endlessly played a new Rush album this much since Signals came out. It is worth every single one of the 5 stars I have given it and it probably desreves at least one more. Bravo Rush .... and after Clockwork Angles I suspect there is at least one more cracker of an album in this band before they decide that 40 years of touring is enough. This will be one of the best buys you make this year.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2013 9:18 AM BST

Eye II Eye
Eye II Eye
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVE, STUPENDOUS ALBUM, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Eye II Eye (Audio CD)
I am going to be controversial here but I beleive as a complete album this is the best piece of work the Scorpions have ever done. It got slated by many of the Scorps faithful when it was released but I absolutely love this album. Its a cracker from start to finish. It saw the band make a bold move away from their traditional anthemic rock formula and put some innovative melody and song-writing together. There is the standard Scorpions under-current throughout this album, you can never get away from Klaus's trade mark voice, but this was a bold departure from their usual fare and deserves recognition as such. Individually they have done a lot of better songs, but as an entire album, this would be my Scorpions choice to have with me ono a desert island.

That said, title track Eye To Eye, 10 Light Years Away, Priscilla and Aleyah would not be out of place on other Scorpions albums, but the other tracks that fill the gaps make this a fantastic complete package. If you haven't heard this album before I would recommend you give it a listen ... you may just end up buying it.

All That You Can't Leave Behind
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Only to Unforgettable Fire, 1 Mar 2013
I wouldn't call myself a huge U2 fan, but I do like them. Unforgettable Fire is easily my favourite U2 album but this runs it a close second. This album just transports me back to a particular year in my life when everything was turned upside down and my only escape from some particular troubles seemed to be when I was out in the car, where I would endlessly play either this or Oasis' Standing on The Shoulders of Giants'. There are some catchy, iconic songs on here that received a lot of radio airplay at the time. Sky Sports even used to use 'It's A Beautiful Day' as part of its live football covereage every weekend. But for me the stand out track is In A Little While which is just a sumptuous bluesy track that you could easily beleive is the band caught jamming by the sound engineer ... one of my all time favourite U2 tracks.

It sold in massive numbers and for good reason ...love them or not, you have to admit that U2 always manage to come up with some catchy, signature tunes and this album is no exception.

Top Shelf Content
Top Shelf Content

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Top Shelf Content (Audio CD)
I have seen this band quite a few times now, including supporting Black Stone Cherry and The Darkness. I love this album, its not over-produced and it captures a lot of the raw live energy of the band. This is a great collection of songs, I love their signature track Overrated and many of the other songs are strong in their own right, along with a couple of cleverly crafted semi-ballads. I wondered how the band would fare when their energetic drummer Andy Burlace reluctantly gave up his slot carrying the sticks, but in new drummer Joe Evans they have found a capable replacement who does add a new dimension to their sound. Brothers James and Chris Ready share the guitar duties and Alex Rosedale has established himself as a fine bass player. Walkway are a tight band, James has some amazing lead guitar licks for such a young lad and all in all Walkway have what it takes to make it in the rock business - I think they just need a decent break or a slot as support to an established band to get some exposure outside of East Anglia.

There are a lot of well known groups out there falling well short of the standard Walkway have reached with Top Shelf Content - its raw, its fresh and its rocky and I would recommend it to anyone. Catch them live too if you can ....

Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Price: 12.71

5.0 out of 5 stars DAMN FINE ALBUM, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Snakecharmer (Audio CD)
I first saw this band in 2011 under the guise of Monsters of British Rock at the Skegness Rock and Blues Weekend where this exact line-up played a full retro Whitesnake set (circe Moody & Marsden era) and they totally blitzed the place and Micky Moody put on a virtuoso performance. So I was excited to hear they had an album coming out and immediately fell in love with the launch single Accident prone when I first heard it on Planet Rock. Its a good barometer for the standard of music on the rest of the album. Most albums tend to have at least one, maybe two tracks that you could give a miss but this is a collection of really strong tracks and I love the whole package. I have read a few of the reviews here and am surprised by some of the comments about Chris Ousey. I think he has a great voice and if you read the sleeve he had a hand in writing most of the songs - I for one think he gives a good voal performance. On top of that I think Mickey Moody has been careful not to repeat past experiences and get involved with a guy with an ego the size of DCs. Once bitten and all that ..........

All in all a really good debut album from a collection of rock veterans. I would strongly recpommend it as a purchase and try to catch them touring this year - they are a really good tight live act.

Crown Jewels
Crown Jewels

5.0 out of 5 stars How Did I Miss This Band????????, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: Crown Jewels (Audio CD)
46 thumping good tracks for just 7.49 (at time of review) ...whats not to like. I came across this band very late due to Darren Reddick giving The Healer and the cover of the old Sweet track No You Don't some extensive airtime on Planet Rock. I got drawn into the catchy tunes and pounding guitar hooks and Jean Beauvoir's astounding voice which at times sounds like JBJ, at times is akin to Peter Cetera and at times very much his own sound. The music ranges from thumping stadium rock to mellow ballads but overall I have to say this is an album that has no real weak tracks. I for one love it and I am just disappointed I have missed the chance to see this band live because they don't appear to be doing anything new and their website hasn't been updated in over 2 years.

My fave tracks are:

Winterland - a superb album opener with catchy vocals, The Rain - another tune that gets into your head and you end up singing along in the car, Hike It Up - this is so like a Kiss track its untrue and is a great foot tapper, No You Don't - a great cover of the little known Sweet track, Live And Die - a fantastic pounding base and drum hook set to some anthemic vocals, Standing On The Corner - a great power ballad, The Healer - just a fantastic, catchy, high paced rock track that will have you singing along, Secret Jesus - just a superb song all round, 'Til The End - another strong ballad, Lost Cathedral - amazingly catchy upbeat song for a final track but again you find yourself singing that chorus hook.

You will buy a lot of over-hyped albums for a lot more money (A Different Kind Of Truth by Van Halen springs immediately to mind) and they wont better this one.

Living Things
Living Things
Price: 6.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Back In The Groove, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
I was among those who was a little underwhelmed by A Thousand Suns .... I still liked it as an overall album but the slightly confusing content held a number of good tracks and some eminently forgettable ones that I still skip past. However, their return to the studio for Living Things heralds a rediscovery of their mojo. This is a thumping good album all the way through. No weak tracks and plenty of semi-anthemic tunes that will become gig favourites on the forthcoming tour. Chester Benington is back on form, Mike Shinoda is mixing and producing on his former style and the whole sound is a return to the Linkin Park we know and love. Okay so its a bit mellower than Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but that is to be expected. This album got into my head after just one listen ... its on a par with Seconds to Midnight and a great return to form.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17