Profile for Lucioperca > Reviews

Satriani Live
Satriani Live
Price: 8.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A YouTube inspired purchase, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Satriani Live (Audio CD)
Do yourself a favour ... go on YouTube and search for Joe Satriani Summer Song and you will find a video clip of about 8mins 30 secs called Summer Song (Live 2006) ... that is basically a video clip from this very gig. Sit back and watch that YouTube clip and then try to explain why you wouldn't want to buy the album. This is a stunning live performance and makes you wonder how he gets so much sound out of a guitar whilst making it look so effortless. I downloaded this album just to have that track on my iPod .... but don't get me wrong, its not all about Summer Song. This is a virtuoso performance by a simply stunning guitar player with some tunes that really rock and a talent that only comes along once in a while. He is in a league of his own.

Crystal Planet
Crystal Planet
Offered by seleso-uk
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Infectious Album, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Crystal Planet (Audio CD)
As a late comer to Joe Satriani I decided to buy a bundle of his albums in one go and of the six I purchased, this made the least immediate impact on me. However, having played it on the car hi-fi to and from work for the past 4 weeks, it has really grown on me and I regard this as a great album and I really can't pick a single hole in it. It is one of those albums that grows on you. Some of the hooks in these tracks are subtle and some are right out there in front of you. Up In The Sky, Lights Of Heaven, Ceremony, Secret Prayer and Psycho Monkey are the tracks that really do have the catchiest hooks in them but all in all, this album is packed with 15 great pieces of Satriani at his finest. Even the peaceful, nay melancholic closing track ZZ's Song is a lovely relaxed 3 minutes of Satriani just strumming melodically. If you are thinking about getting into The Satch, I would save this album for your second or third purchase ...buy The Extremist and hear Joe at his rocking finest and then progress onto the rest of his catalogue. All in all this album is well worth every one of the 5 stars I have awarded.

Flying In A Blue Dream
Flying In A Blue Dream
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Love most of it .., 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
I have sometime listened to some Joe Satriani stuff and thought to myself ..."all he needs to do is lay some vocals over this music and he would be even more awesome" ? So I was quite surprised to discover this album had some vocals but when I played it, I seemed to become one of Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's self-righteous brothers. "Oi !! Satriani !! Nooooo!!" I had immediately found myself thinking "That sounds so wrong!!" Only on hearing the tracks with vocals did I realised Satriani doesn't need anything to detract from his awesome shredding. Four tracks here have had vocals laid over them and in my own opinion they only really sound right on the track Ride ... I find myself skipping past the other three when they come on the car stereo. Perhaps I am over-reacting and others will balance out my own view on this subject. However, once I got past that particular trauma, I have to confess that this is a superb album. Not quite in the class of The Extremist, but its side by side with Surfing WIth The Alien. Its just such a listenable album. I have dumped 6 Satriani albums onto a CD and play it on shuffle in the car ... this man is a living legend and this album delivers in spades. Many Satch fans will love the vocals tracks ... each to their own. Buy this album and judge for yourself ... there are 18 tracks on here so even if you don't like the vocals there are still another 14 stunners. This is well worth owning and I am glad I have become a Satriani convert - even if it did take until I reached my 40's.

Taken (Extended Harder Cut) [DVD] [2008]
Taken (Extended Harder Cut) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson
Price: 2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Watch if you have teenage daughters, 21 Nov 2010
I find myself in agreement with some comments in other reviews. This is definitely a movie that brings mixed emotions. It is a great action movie that basically tells the story of a mans search for his daughter after she goes missing in France during a vacation tour of Europe. Liam Neeson is so well suited to this role as a ruthless former special agent who uses all his skills and techniques to track her down. He isn't afraid to crap on anyone who gets in his way ...even some life long friends. The way he gets information out of a good friend working for the French Secret Service is a particularly shocking and unexpected twist. However, the scene where he illicits information out of one of the culprits by means of electrocution is slightly amusing and horrific at the same time. The phrase "I need to you to focus" followed by 240 volts going through his body via two 6 inch nails that Neeson has stabbed into his thighs makes quite a memorable scene.

However, behind all the kapow and action and car chasing is a very real and accurate portrayal of the brutalities of the sex trade. Scores of teenage girls kept compliant by drugs and brutality and imprisonment by gangs of eastern european henchmen. If you get past the action, this underlying accuracy is quite shocking when it dawns on you that it is going on around us. Every time I watch this film I always end up vowing that neither of my daughters are going on a back-packing holiday.

Watch it for the action because it is an entertaining film but be aware that you may emerge from it with a bit more sympathy for some of the women in our society that have become drug addicts as a result of being exposed to the sex trade. Its a bit of hollywood styled hard hitting action set against a stark back drop of harrowing, close-to-the-bone reality. This is 90 minutes you won't regret spending in front of your TV.

Tenacious D: The Pick Of Destiny [DVD]
Tenacious D: The Pick Of Destiny [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Black
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Side-splitting humour, 21 Nov 2010
Jack Black can be really hit and miss in his films. King Kong and Orange County were very disappointing films but I loved his disgruntled biker in Anchorman, he really found his feet in Shallow Hall and he was superb in School Of Rock. However, as part of 'The D' he is at his zaniest and most original and in Kyle Gass he has a sympathetic ally for his humour. PoD is a hilarious tale of improbable happenings in search of a mystical guitar pick fashioned from the horn of Beelzebub that has passed through the hands of and been the energy force for the worlds greatest guitarists.

I love this film and my only regret is that they couldn't have found a more substantial storyline for Ben Stiller who plays such a fantastic character as the music store owner who sets them on the trail of the PoD. To give you a taster, the opening sequence involves an adolescent Jb being chastised by his bible-bashing father played by Meatloaf (hilarious on its own) only to then sit in his room and take inspiration to go on the run as a result of Ronny James Dio appearing as an apparition from a poster on the back of his bedroom door and singing some advice to him. From there on in, the humour of Black and Gass continues.

This film is divisive ... its like Marmite - you'll either love it or dismiss it as puerile humour. I personally love it and think there is plenty of mileage left for JB and KG to return in a subsequent adventure in their surreal world of rock. I want more please !!!

Last Chance Harvey [DVD]
Last Chance Harvey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dustin Hoffman
Price: 2.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good tale, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Last Chance Harvey [DVD] (DVD)
I was sat at home one wet sunday afternoon and came across this film on Sky Movies. This has a lot in common with One Fine Day ... in that it sounds like its going to be corny and formulaic. However, it kind of creeps up on you and is very watchable.

I ended up really enjoying it and in particular Dustin Hoffman plays an understated but highly believable part as Harvey Shine, an American musician who writes music for films and Tv ads. Having seen his career slowly decline since his divorce and subsequent relationship with alcohol, he is eventually chopped from an important account and told to take an extended break when he travels to London for his daughters wedding, where more disappointing news greets him. Just when he feels like he has hit rock bottom and an afternoon with a whiskey bottle looks inevitable, he has a chance meeting in an airport bar with Emma Thompson. And so begins a wistful little tale of a man re-discovering his spark and enjoyment for the smaller things in life. There is just a great acting chemistry between Hoffman and Thompson and I found this to be a pleasant film that didn't require a great deal of concentration but at the same time, I didn't want to turn it off because I just wanted to find out how things worked out in the end for Harvey.

I guarantee you will pay good money to watch a lot of mega-hyped films and they won't make as good viewing as this film. For the guys ...if you have to stay in with the other half and watch a "chick flick" ... offer this up as an option. Give it a try.

For the Love of Strange Medicine
For the Love of Strange Medicine

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER GREAT ALBUM FROM SP, 21 Nov 2010
In or out of Journey ...Steve Perry makes music you just want to listen to and vainly convince yourself you can sing along to. This album opens with a stunning track called You Better Wait , which has become my personal favourite from Perry's solo catalogue ...crank it up and from that point on you will be a Steve Perry fan. I wouldn't mind betting Journey would love to have this track in their armoury for Arnel Pineda to belt out on tour. That said, unlike his first solo project Street Talk (which is another 5 star affair), this album sounds much less like a Journey album. This album is more about the song writing than the rock sound and as such I suspect Perry will have been far more satisfied with the final outcome but their is no disguising those trademark vocals.

I love it and I can safely say there isn't a single weak track. I now eagerly anticipate the prospect of a rejuvenated Steve Perry putting together a third album which, if you believe the music press, is very much on the cards and likely to be released in late 2011. Buy this album and his first solo album .... you wont be disappointed.

Street Talk - Exp
Street Talk - Exp
Offered by Blind Owl Records
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB SIMPLY SUPERB, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Street Talk - Exp (Audio CD)
As I write this review in Nov 2010, Classic Rock magazine are reporting that Steve Perry has re-discovered his mojo and has written 50 new songs that he is now planning to develop and whittle down to a new solo album for 2011. Why should you be excited by that news? Listen to this album and his other offering For The Love Of Strange Medicine and you will understand. Without any fear of contradiction I can safely say that Steve Perry is the finest and most powerful male rock vocalist ever ... bar none. Lou Gramm, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Ian Gillan, Dio and Ozzy all have their sound and place in rock history ... but Steve Perry is in a completely different stratosphere.

This is a fantastic album where Steve undoubtedly taps into his influences from Journey but he does throw in the odd track that is somewhat of a surprise. For instance the second track 'I Believe' wouldn't sound out of place on a Tamala Motown album and is it just me or does Running Alone sound like a no brainer for a superb Christmas song?

If you are a fan of Journey or just AOR in general you will love this album. Buy both Perry albums and do the prep before the alleged new album comes out.

Raised on Radio
Raised on Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: Raised on Radio (Audio CD)
Firstly let me declare my allegiance. I have loved Journey ever since the day, as a 15yr old boy, I heard Anyway Way You Want It blaring out of the workshop radio whilst I was doing my saturday morning job. I instantly fell in love with Steve Perry's vocals. I have the entire studio catalogue of this awesome band but I am not so blinkered that I wont admit that almost every album does seem to contain a track that I tend to skip past. The tracks on Journey albums tend to be 80% stunners and 10% average and 10% so-so.

However, this is what I would genuinely call a faultless album ... every track is unbelievably good and the studio production work is superb. Whilst it doesn't contain any of their classic songs I would still rate it as potentially their best album and it certainly pushes my personal favourite Discovery very close. As fantastic an album as Escape might be .... if you want to get someone into Journey, play them this album and they will be hooked. This is a skillfully crafted piece of work with a superb balance between drums, bass, keys and guitars, all of which form an incredible backdrop to a stunning vocal performance by Steve Perry - this is him at his finest. On the strength of this album I went out and bought his first solo venture Street Talk which is another stunning album. My summary of each track from Raised On radio is:

Girl Can't Help It - a superb steering wheel tapper of a tune. It sounds like its being played in an arena and is intertwined with a stunning vocal performance by SP.

Positive Touch - has a very 80's poppy beat and wouldn't be out of place as a backing track for a Miami Vice scene with a great little sax solo in the middle.

Suzanne - another steering wheel tapper, great beat, spiralling vocals by SP and subtle guitar work by Neil Schon accentuates a bl**dy fine song.

Be Good To Yourself - a towering intro into a Bon Jovi-esque song, with a powerful bass ripple and superb backing harmonies from the band - a sure fire gig favourite

Once You Love Somebody - slightly soul jazz beat, with some almost Level 42 style bass work, a dreamy set of lyrics and NS threads some great guitar work through a really silky track.

Happy To Give - the token ballad that is all about SP vocals, a steady drum beat and some good keys - just a nice song

Raised On Radio - great harmonica intro, really thumping rock'n'roll beat and a strong song - great track.

I'll Be Alright Without You - The title says it all. Slightly melancholic and yet slightly up-tempo song about a guy getting over his ex. A great song without getting over-sentimental

It Could Have Been You - hard to describe this track, a staccato style all of its own with a continuous rhytmic hook on lead by NS . I love it and so will you.

The Eyes Of A Woman - a wonderful drifting song where the lead, bass and vocals are swirling around each other .... this will have taken ages to finalise in the studio and you can hear the attention to detail.

Why Can't This Night Go On Forever - if you were ever going to pick a track to get covered to death I would have picked this. A towering vocal performance that I am surprised hasn't been subjected to a pseudo copy-cat massacring by the likes of Maria Carey (she murdered their Open Arms track) or Celine Dion. This is all about SP being let off the leash and simply going for it. I bet you get caught at least once by an oncoming driver spotting you in full flow as you sing along ... its a fantastic song.

The Number Of The Beast
The Number Of The Beast
Price: 5.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Im just adding to the overwhelming opinion, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Number Of The Beast (Audio CD)
What can you say about this album that hasn't all been said before? Most successful bands have a defining moment, a defining song or a defining album that proves to be their breakthrough. For Iron Maiden it was Number Of The Beast - the decision to replace Paul Dianno with Bruce Dickinson is as significant as Alex Ferguson signing Eric Cantona ... an inspired stroke of genius that would prove to be the catalyst to a global phenomenon. As steeped as he was in the early days and origins of the band ..Dianno was no frontman - his raw voice maybe captured the aggressive spirit of The Maiden in their early years but he lacked any true range and he had almost zero stage presence. If you have ever seen them live ... you will know that Dickinson is the consumate showman - he whips up a crowd in a way that maybe only Dio and Ozzy can manage. Number Of The Beast was a massive album in terms of significance and global sales (it has even had an hour long feature on the TV series Classic Albums). Iron Maiden went inter-galactic on the back of this release and they haven't looked back since. This is an iconic "must have" album. I bought it when it first came out and it still sounds as good today as it did back then .... it hasn't dated one bit because quite simply its full of blisteringly good, pacey rock tracks and the odd slower number. Despite all the justifiable hype about the title track and Run To The Hills .... Hallowed Be They Name is still my favourite from this album and one which builds up the crowd at a live gig. Iron Maiden are arguably the UKs best metal band and this album shows you why ... buy it, play it loud and love it !!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2012 10:15 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17