Profile for chris gg > Reviews

Content by chris gg

chris gg "Chris" (Suffolk, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Einhell GGHH9048 900 W 410 mm GC-HH Pole Trimmer
Einhell GGHH9048 900 W 410 mm GC-HH Pole Trimmer
Offered by edinger Lampertheim

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, sturdy, built to last., 14 July 2016
High quality engineering. Solid construction. Easy, intuitive and quick to connect together and to adjust angles of cut. I have a lot of hedges around my garden, some tall and wide from front to back, so I need lots of reach. I've had enough of standing on a ladder and trying in vain to reach with telescopic shears. It's so tedious and slow and there is the danger of falling into the hedge. This trimmer is definitely up to the task and performs very well but is rather unwieldy and top heavy in full extension, so is best used fully extended for short periods only, just for those areas you can't reach without it. Without the extra extension bar it is much better balanced and you can adjust the handle position so that the motor on the bottom exactly balances the cutter at the top. Without the extension bar it still has a much longer range than a normal hedge trimmer. I find this is just right for cutting along the front part of the top of the hedge from the ground and for reaching to the back of the hedge from a raised platform. For the sides I prefer using a normal hedge trimmer for areas within reach. Some of my hedges are very wide, including one 8-10 foot deep double hedge that spans a ditch, which I have to tackle from both sides. I know they advertise these pole trimmers as not needing ladders or platforms but you have to use your common sense. I use a decorator's platform which is very stable. Standing on the platform avoids the need to raise the pole so high and allows a reasonably level cut to the back of the hedge. With and without the extension bar as apprropriate, I was able to cut the top of all my hedges nicely. The underneath of the pole can get snagged on the hedge which is a nuisance but unavoidable. The shoulder strap is attached right near the motor at the bottom of the pole so is really only useful for supporting the lower end of the tool, not for raising up the cutting end.
In summary, I find this tool efficient and capable of dealing with my high, wide hedges adequately, albeit with the aid of a platform. It has made the job of hedge cutting satisfying and enjoyable rather than the daunting task it used to be.

Garmin Forerunner 620 GPS Running Watch with Colour Touchscreen Display and Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Blue
Offered by You Want One

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Piece of Kit, 7 July 2016
I'm very pleased with the Garmin FR 620, after being a proud owner of a Garmin 305 for the last 6 years. My trusty 305 finally gave up the ghost when it let in water from some heavy downpours.
First of all an important point about running modes or what they call "Activity Profiles" on the Garmin 620: If you want a true time for a run or a race, you need to set it to RACE activity profile, not RUN activity profile. Otherwise it measures "moving time" not stopwatch time. As soon as you stop moving it will stop the timer in RUN mode, just as if it was on autopause(which mine has never been). At the start of a race it can take a good few seconds to realise you are moving, up to 10 or 15 seconds in a crowded slow moving start. If you have to walk or take a breather it will stop the timer as well. This was not how my Garmin 305 worked...the default "Time" given was always stopwatch time...so be warned that your PB may not be a PB after all if you have your 620 in RUN mode!.... as I found out in a 5K race soon after purchase. I keep mine in RACE mode all the time now, whether training or racing. In a club training run, where you stop and start at meeting points it might be useful in RUN mode I suppose, to save you stopping and starting the Garmin all the time. On the Strava website though, it gives you the option of plotting moving time or elapsed time anyway, whether or not you preselected RUN or RACE in Garmin.
Back to my purchase, I didn't want to shell out for the newer 630 model, but wanted the new running dynamics like ground contact time(GCT), vertical oscillation(VO), cadence and stride length. I love looking at graphs after a run. The GCT and VO are measured by the device in the heart rate strap, so you always have to wear the strap to get vertical oscillation and ground contact time, though cadence is measured by an internal accelerometer in the watch itself, from which it can calculate stride length. The heart rate strap works reliably, feels very comfortable and stays in position, unlike my previous strap. You have to tighten it just enough, without being too tight. The 620 finds the GPS satellites in seconds...it caches the satellite positions a week in advance to make it even quicker. My runs download wirelessly to my phone via Bluetooth and to my computer via WiFi, avoiding all the hassle of fiddling with USB and charger connections. My 305 was getting terrible in that regard, taking ages to get good enough contact to sync properly. The touch screen works well...just need to tap it to change data screens while running. There are four robust metal buttons on the sides of the Garmin...a lot better than the rubbery ones on the 305, which wear in time and get difficult to operate. One button to switch power on/off and for backlight, one to put into or out of Time of Day power saving mode, one to start/stop the stopwatch and another to press for laps or to upload wirelessly after a run. You touch the righthand rim of the screen to go to the menu for settings etc., and touch the left hand rim to go back to the previous screen. It's all worked flawlessly so far. It estimates your VO2 Max from your running data, heart rate and so on and predicts from that your time for distances from 5K to a marathon. It takes a while to get an accurate estimate though. I started with some 200m speed intervals with rests in between, totalling about 2K in distance. It mistakenly assumed that I ran the whole 2K at sprint speed and way overestimated my ability. That's not too bright...it should have known I stopped and started the watch and had elapsed time in between intervals where my heart rate recovered. That doesn't impress me too much but I'm not worried about it. I know very well what times I'm capable of by now. My predicted times are gradually becoming more realistic with each run. If you like pre-set workouts you can download from Garmin Connect and it will take you through the workouts stage by stage. All in all a very good piece of kit and I'm happy with my purchase.

Hair Cutting Trimmer Razor, Hairdressing Styling Razor / Blade, Black, Red, Blue, Orange, Pink Colours (Xperia - JP1)
Offered by Sanguine Scissors Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value item, 28 Jun. 2016
Great item. I've been using Boot's Hair Trimmer but can no longer get the blades. This is even better...the blades are ordinary Wilkinson's razor blades and easily obtainable. Best to cut your hair after washing, when it's wet...then there is minimal tugging involved. Persevere with the technique...at first it feels uncomfortable until you get the knack and are able to use it with both hands. I haven't needed a barber for around 20 years. Excellent value.

Gillette Contour Plus Cartridges - 10 Pack
Gillette Contour Plus Cartridges - 10 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality blades, 28 Jun. 2016
Good product,'''each blade very sharp and lasts me about 2 weeks.

OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer
OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer

4.0 out of 5 stars Niggles with slice uniformity, 28 Jun. 2016
I bought this mainly to prepare thinly and evenly sliced potatoes for making crisps in my deep fryer...I can do it with a sharp knife but not very evenly and it's tedious. Disappointingly, the cut with the slicer is not quite even either, with slices of potato thinner at the back of the cut and thicker at the front(first bit to be cut). The potato, cut in half, is not held firmly by the guard..there are just lots of small blunt plastic points a few mm deep which don't pierce the potato...they don't stop the potato from tipping over very slightly with each slice...the reason for the uneven cut mentioned above. The potato tips up at the back slightly(maybe 1mm) with each slice and believe it or not, by the end of slicing, the potato is at 90 degrees to the original cut with front cuts the correct width and rear cuts wafer thin. So the slices start off round but finish more like semi-circular, half the size. I tried a bread knife and pushed the teeth of the knife into the potato, but the same thing happened. Then I tried it by hand, making sure there was plenty of potato between my fingers and the blade. As long as I pressed down on the rear of the potato, keeping it level on the slicer, the slices came out round or oval with fairly even thickness. I used the guard for the last cuts. There is no need to cut the potato in half this way. I don't recommend holding the potato by hand to anyone else...risks a nasty cut to your fingers but it's the only way I can get even cuts. I can't think how else you would begin to cut cucumber or carrot. A protective kitchen glove would help make it safer. The 1mm setting produces paper thin slices that take only a minute to fry..they have to be dropped into the hot oil separately to avoid sticking together but it takes around a minute to drop them all in, so by the time the last ones are ready(another minute) the first ones are burnt. I prefer the widest 3mm cut which makes slices so much easier to handle, rinse and pat dry. They take about 3 minutes to fry to a crisp without getting too brown. I can't seem to get light golden crisps but my fryer is not temperature adjustable. As for other types of food the slicer made messy cuts of my bananas and is reported to do the same with tomatoes...much better to cut by hand, which is how I prefer to cut tomato, cucumber and carrot, not too thinly. I guess if you make a lot of cucumber sandwiches it would save time. For salads I prefer grated carrot.. In summary, for the purpose I bought it for it does work quite well and the price is very reasonable but when the novelty has worn off my homemade crisps it might hide away in a drawer. It is easy and quick to rinse and the blade safety setting for storage is a bonus.

Cheese Culture - Penicillium Candidum, Freeze Dried Sachet
Cheese Culture - Penicillium Candidum, Freeze Dried Sachet

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes excellent camembert-style cheese, 28 Jun. 2016
This has made excellent camembert-style cheese from homemade cottage cheese, which was prepared from soured milk curds. I sprinkled the powder over the surface of the cottage cheese after draining it well and packing it into an oblong ceramic dish. I used all the packet though it could have been divided into half a dozen or more smaller amounts which could be kept in the freezer. I intend to try using my matured cheese as the starter for the next batch, otherwise it would be expensive without dividing the culture. I covered the dish with clingfilm and matured the cheese for around a month on the top shelf of the fridge where the temperature is around 10C. It soon grew a white woolly mould over the surface. It has a lovely camembert flavour.

Sensor Case for Nike+ iPod Sport Kit Sensor - SC1
Sensor Case for Nike+ iPod Sport Kit Sensor - SC1
Offered by DiscountDiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars The soft velcro strap loops under the laces and does not need to be threaded through the lace like some other types of pouch, 26 May 2016
This is just the right size for my Garmin Footpod. The soft velcro strap loops under the laces and does not need to be threaded through the lace like some other types of pouch. This is a big advantage, because it can be switched to different running shoes with ease without having to undo all the laces. The original Garmin footpod cradle(which I've lost) also needs threading.

Neo G Airflow Plus+ Stabilized Knee Support Medium
Neo G Airflow Plus+ Stabilized Knee Support Medium
Offered by Online Sports Support Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Knee Support, 25 Feb. 2016
I am a runner and believe I have a sprained medial collateral ligament to the inside of my right knee(self diagnosed). I am resting a lot, but this knee brace has allowed me to continue to do some training with minimal discomfort. It has metal spines running down either side of the knee joint to help provide stability....more or less situated where the collateral ligaments are, on the inside and outside of the knee....very clever. This, plus the compression support are effective in providing stability. I am very pleased with the extra support it is giving me while my injury heals, not only while running but also while walking around during the day.
Added 30/04/2016: My right knee cleared up fine in a few weeks and has not caused any more problem. I did try the support later on my left knee for a similar strained ligament but less serious. However, the support kept slowly working its way down to my lower left leg while running. I can see how size problems can affect some people as it all depends on your knee, thigh and calf measurements.

Calf Compression Sleeves - Elevated Sports - Graduated Support for Shin Splints, Calf Strains, Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendinopathy - Recovery for Men, Women, Triathlon, Running, Sport - Guaranteed
Offered by Elevated Sports Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable, 25 Feb. 2016
Good comfortable fit and should be helping my circulation and venous return in the legs while running and while recovering afterwards.

VeloChampion Compression Calf Guards/Sleeves (Black - Small) For Running, Cycling, Triathlon
Offered by Maxgear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice-Fitting Sleeves, 25 Feb. 2016
I use them for running. I originally bought the small size but they were too small, so I ordered the medium size which were just right. I advise people to go up rather than down in size if, like me, you are mid way between the sizes. Well made and good quality. I had a swollen leg after a cycle accident a year before and had found that a medical compression sock 20mmHg-30mmHg did wonders to bring down the swelling. These are exactly the same amount of graded pressure so I thought they might improve circulation while running, especially as I have some varicose veins appearing on my calves. I can't prove that they make me run faster but they feel good and should be supporting my veins and helping with venous return.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9