Profile for H. K. Cecil > Reviews

Content by H. K. Cecil

H. K. Cecil "helseykc" (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit hard going, 3 Sept. 2015
At the start of the book I was really enjoying it and drawn into the story but half way through it began to drag. I agree with other reviewers who have said that it's about a hundred pages too long. Shame, as by the end I was skimming each page wishing that it was over!

Until You're Mine
Until You're Mine

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not believable, 22 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Kindle Edition)
Based on the reviews I had high hopes for this book. Overall it was ok but it was reaaaaaaallly far fetched. I usually get annoyed when reviewers say a book was far fetched (isn't that sometimes the point of fiction, to come up with a story you really couldn't imagine yourself?) but this truly was bonkers. The main characters were all stupid, but surprisingly the twist was quite clever. Unfortunately the complex conditions under which the twist could occur were just not believable...

Charlotte Street
Charlotte Street

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable reading, 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Charlotte Street (Kindle Edition)
Very Danny Wallace. Not life changing but quite sweet. Lots of unlikely characters all become friends in a quest to find a girl.

The Good Girl
The Good Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 16 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Good Girl (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this book down for a moment, causing glares from my family while on holiday! Couldn't recommend more!

The Dead Wife's Handbook
The Dead Wife's Handbook

4.0 out of 5 stars Irritating writing yet moving at times, 27 July 2015
On the whole I really enjoyed this book... I found the subject matter very moving and I welled up on more than one occasion. The problem I had was with the vocabulary which was limited in places. Weirdly the same adjective/adverb would be used more than once on the same page, implying a lack of creativity. I noticed it several times and it distracted me a bit from the story! I think ultimately it was a bit longer than it needed to be and somewhat repetitive. Still, I've given it four stars (because I can't give 3.5 and 3 seemed a bit harsh!) so it can't have been that bad!

The Midwife's Confession
The Midwife's Confession

4.0 out of 5 stars She knows how to tell a story..., 21 Jun. 2015
...I was gripped all the way through. The wow moments were spaced out through the entire book so it wasn't just a big ending. Even though I'd guessed a few of the main shockers, they still surprised me because of how they were revealed. Very cleverly written...

Remaining Relevant And Employable
Remaining Relevant And Employable

4.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who might want to look for a job ... ever!, 21 April 2015
Remaining Relevant And Employable is a book that gives a great insight to the trials and tribulations of job hunting and getting what you want out of your career. It includes analyses of various learning methods and communication strategies, and how to write a good CV, exploit social media, and handle different types of interviews.

If you're looking for an in-depth study of all of these subjects, then you might find one or two to be a bit thin on the ground, while others are somewhat repetitive—in these circumstances the book would prove excellent as a reference to dip into, rather than a cover-to-cover read (which is how I read it). Conversely, if you want an overview of many different strategies, tools, and tips from someone who has clearly done your reading for you—the author, Robert Lambert, is evidently very up on his subject matter—then this is your bag.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull, 31 Mar. 2015
A page-turner this was not. I struggled to pick it up and I'm delighted to have reached the end...
Working towards the crux of the story, around page 70 as many reviewers have already explained, was quite enjoyable, and then the last 30 or 40 pages picked up a bit too. The bulk of the book was utter drivel and made me a bit cross. It was all soul-searching and self-analysis that should have been kept internal. Several inconsequential and boring events occurred and left me dissatisfied.
Yawn.

NERF N-Strike Elite Firestrike Blaster
NERF N-Strike Elite Firestrike Blaster
Offered by Fun Collectables

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken :(, 27 Dec. 2014
Present for son for Xmas—hence bought a long time ago and out of return period—and it's broken after a few uses...

The Man Who Forgot His Wife
The Man Who Forgot His Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted brain candy, 20 Nov. 2012
I had been reading a book that I had to give up half way through as I was so utterly bored and decided that life was just too short. I downloaded this one for my kindle as it was the cheapest in my list of books-to-read. It was a breath of fresh air. While the 51% of the previous book had taken me weeeeeeeks to read, this one took just a few days as it was quite un-put-down-able!
It's amusing--I did indeed LOL in a couple of places--and quite heart warming.
So if you need a quick, easy read that isn't going to change your life but is going to give your brain and eyes some happy-time, give it a whirl :) I shall be downloading some more John O'Farrells in the future...

Page: 1 | 2