Profile for K. Picken > Reviews

Content by K. Picken

K. Picken (England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics)
Siddhartha (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Hermann Hesse

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 5 Mar 2014
This is a great tale yes, but it is also an excellent introduction to the true philosophy of Buddhism. If you're interested in Buddhist philosophy (i.e. not the religious garbage) then this is a must-buy.

Tai Chi Chuan: A Comprehensive Training Manual
Tai Chi Chuan: A Comprehensive Training Manual
by Raymond Rand

5.0 out of 5 stars What It Says On The Tin, 5 Mar 2014
This is an extremely well-written book. The author is obviously hugely experienced and he has presented a training manual that the reader can use to support his training and learning from a qualified teacher, regardlessof the style of Tai Chi practised. The author himself is a Yang style practitioner, but he stays clear of outlining a blow-by-blow account of the Yang form, as this is a training manual not an instruction manual. If you are a serious student of Tai Chi then don't hesitate top buy.

How To Do Tai Chi
How To Do Tai Chi

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: How To Do Tai Chi (Kindle Edition)
This book is a sketchily written description of the Li style fo Tai Chi. It makes various claims regarding the history of the style and its authenticity as a genuine practice of Tai Chi. I can only say that ditched it very quickly. There are much better books than this and the reader would do well to stick to the Yang or Chen styles.

The Soul of the White Ant
The Soul of the White Ant

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Intriguing, 5 Mar 2014
This is a fascinating book that, apart from giving a wonderful amount of information about the termite world, also draws an astonishing parallel with the human organism. The author even went so far as to draw a comparison between the psyche or consciousness of the Termite colony and the psyche of the individual human being. There can be very few books quite like this. Behind it there is a rather tragic story of the author who committed suicide a few years after writing this book, following a very upsetting period of litigation over a plagiarist who copied his material from this book.

Qigong Exercises for Stress Management, Health, and a Balanced Life
Qigong Exercises for Stress Management, Health, and a Balanced Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Practical And Well Structured., 5 Mar 2014
This is the second book of Ken Gullett's that I have read and I have been just as impressed with this one as I was with the last (Yang 24 Form For Self Defence).
The text is clear and the photo-illustrations work really well on the Kindle. I like the way the author dismisses the mystical and sensational claims of Qigong and, instead, he "keeps his feet on the ground" and emphasizes the physical, mental and emotional benefits of the practice. Having said this, the presentation is by no means pedestrian as he gives good guidance on the use of visualization, in order to derive the best of the various routines. I certainly recommend this book.

Yang Tai Chi 24 Form Self Defense
Yang Tai Chi 24 Form Self Defense

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Training Aid, 27 Feb 2014
This is an excellent book. Although it is specifically addressed to the Yang short-form, It doesn’t matter what style of Tai Chi you practise, the book will be an invaluable aid to your training and development, since it is primarily about how to move and respond to generic attacking moves that one can imagine encountering.. Several martial applications are given for each Tai Chi movement, but the author continually encourages the reader to devise their own responses and applications. The guidance that the author gives very much equips the reader to try other combinations and ideas. Of course, many people only practise Tai Chi for either health and well-being or for aesthetic reasons but even if this is your approach, an understanding of the martial applications will greatly increase your understanding of the form and so you will derive even more benefit or satisfaction from you performance of it. I strongly recommend this book.

Tai Chi Manual: A Step-by-step Guide to the Short Yang Form
Tai Chi Manual: A Step-by-step Guide to the Short Yang Form
by Robert Parry

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable, 20 Jan 2014
You really will not find a clearer instruction manual on Tai Chi Yang 37 Form than this one. I won't repeat what the other reviewers have said regarding graphics and descriptions - they are first class. I would like to point out what the author himself says in his book; that it is really important to find a good teacher, so that the manual can support your learning and not be the sole source. It really is essential to have a teacher observe your form and correct you on the mistakes that you are bound to unwittingly make. Over the last 4 years I have learnt the Beijing Yang 24 form under the guidance of a good teacher, and I found Mr Parry's book really easy to use as a training manual for the 37 form. I strongly recommend it.

Island
Island
by Aldous Huxley

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Island (Paperback)
There are a couple of 1 or 2-star reviews of this book, but the majority are glowing in their praise. I am disappointed that the comments made on the negative reviews dismiss the reviewers as being somewhat lacking in their understanding of what Huxley was trying to convey. Well I must say that I am of the same mind as those negative reviewers. Actually I DO understand what Huxley was expressing, but I feel that the characters are thinly sketched around a virtually non-existent plot. I suppose the core ideas and social comments were probably controversial and even refreshing in the early 1960's but they ring rather hollow now. I thought the book was rather naive and dull to the point of being boring. Even so, when all is said and done, it is all a matter of personal preference. My only motivation in submitting this review is to offer some balance to the other praising reviews. I was surprised that Huxley turned out a book like this one, especially as it was his final offering. For all his investigation over the previous 20 years, his friendship with Krishnamurti and his experimentation with what were portrayed as consciousness-enhancing drugs (Mescalin and LSD) "Island" offers nothing by way of deep insight or transcendent awareness.

Painting the Sidewalk with Water
Painting the Sidewalk with Water

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Insight At Its Best, 30 Sep 2013
I have just finished my first reading of Joan Tollifson's two books, "Painting The Sidewalk With Water" and "Nothing To Grasp". I am sure that I will make many more readings of these two excellent works. My review relates to both books.

This is highly intelligent and mature writing and is obviously the outcome of many years of investigation, attention and insight. The author has very conscientiously summarized the key declarations of radical non-duality but she has gone much further than this. Her particular skill lies in understanding and addressing the many twists and turns of the everyday mind as it grapples with its mental fog. A common statement that she makes in response to a question is, "Do you see the joke in this question?" - She does this when she spots the very common practice that her questioner has of trying to self-improve or to grasp an insight that they have made a conceptual object of. There are innumerable comments from her that tease out the dualistic and egotistical strivings of the typical seeker.
Her comments are often dazzlingly fresh and arresting; indeed they can even be a little shocking, yet all the more effective for that. There is an autobiographical element in the books and, for the most part, she keeps this in balance. However, in "Nothing To Grasp" there is one chapter that I found to be a little pedestrian, perhaps because of its contrast with the brilliant stuff that preceded it. The chapter is entitled "Choice And Choicelessness" - the title was very promising. This chapter is almost entirely autobiographical and, although it was mildly interesting per se, I felt that it detracted from the main thrust of the book.
I read these books on my Kindle and found myself making a huge number of highlights and notes; I sometimes felt as though I was highlighting the whole page! I am tempted in this review to quote from the book but, frankly there are so many superb quotes that all I can say is, if you have an earnest wish to understand consciousness, mindfulness and, of course, Non-Duality, then get hold of both of these books; they are superb.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 9:44 AM BST

Nothing to Grasp
Nothing to Grasp

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Insight At Its Best, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Nothing to Grasp (Kindle Edition)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4