Profile for Mrs. D. J. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. J. Smith

Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Garnier Ultimate Blends Marvellous Transformer Shampoo 250 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ultimate Blends Marvellous Transformer Shampoo 250 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars ... have used from this range I've found to be pretty good. The look nice and smell nice, 30 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All the products I have used from this range I've found to be pretty good. The look nice and smell nice, which is also a bonus, but do a pretty good job of doing 'what they say on the tin'. This contacts Argan and Camellia oils and is nourishing without making your hair oily - my ends are dry, but I have rather more oily roots. And because the product feels and smells nice, it makes it very pleasant to use. Certainly a range worth trying.

L'Oreal Garnier Intensive Hand Cream - 100 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Intensive Hand Cream - 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Nourishing Hand Cream, 30 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A nourishing hand cream at a reasonable price. It says it contains Mango oil, but I don't think it particularly smells of mango (which I dislike!) but has a rather fresh, clean scent. You only need a little as it absorbs well but without being greasy and immediately makes my hands feel less dry.

The Dust that Falls from Dreams
The Dust that Falls from Dreams
by Louis de Bernieres

3.0 out of 5 stars Lengthy WWI and after entanglement, 29 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The latest offering from de Bernieres is an 500+ page epics.... which turns out is just part one! Not sure what else is planned by way of sequels, but probably partially dependant of how well this one sells methinks!

The descriptions of WWI in the book seem very real and at times fairly heartbreaking. The novel starts in the third person and then skips around a lot between first person narration of a number of different characters before dropping back solely into a third person narrative interspersed with the odd letter.

I think perhaps the main problem, other than this is perhaps a little too long, is that the 'heroine', Rosie, is not actually one of the more interesting characters! The book may hang itself around her supposed 'love triangle' but at times you want to shake some sense into the girl and you can't help but feel that the stories of her sisters would make for much more interesting reading as they have much more depth of character! There was also a fair bit of engineering techno speak which my eyes just glazed over.....

At times I laughed and at times I cried but I don't think there was enough here for me to be queueing up for the sequel.

The Knowledge Red Wine
The Knowledge Red Wine
by Peter Grogan

3.0 out of 5 stars This is an nice looking compact book, 24 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Knowledge Red Wine (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an nice looking compact book, one of a series on different topics and looks to me very much aimed at being a sort of gift book.

The writing is easy to understand and sometimes a little tongue in cheek. The content deals mainly with different grape varieties and different parts of the world and the usual wines found there. Grogran is trying to encourage red wine drinkers to spread their drinking wings and look for stuff worth drinking that's not from the supermarket!

It's not a bad volume and it is nicely presented, but all the grape varieties, and their various names in different regions, and the multitude of wine growing regions (especially in France!) did rather wash over one after a certain point. Interesting but not great; I can't really see anyone taking this with them on a wine buying expedition.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Silky Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Silky Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Blends Conditioner, 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I rather like the Ultimate Blends range. Not that any of them have made me look like a shampoo model, but then nothing quite does, but they have all been pleasant to use in scent and consistency,

I have rather fine hair of a mid-length and a tendency to oily roots and drier ends with those terrible split ends. Obviously this can't repair them, but it can strengthen the hair and I have found after a few uses that my hair does feel shiny and soft. The bottle gives you plenty of product for your money and as it's not too thick it is fairly easy to get out. I'd say this one is worth a try.

Garnier Clean & Soft Facial Wipes 25's
Garnier Clean & Soft Facial Wipes 25's
Offered by Kiara World

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant facial wipes, 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like most of us, I suspect, facial wipes are a quick and easy way to remove grime and make up at the end of the day. You can pick up packs of wipes fairly cheaply, although I look for some of the better brands when on special offer as the cheap ones don't feel so good on your skin I find. I like these as they are soft with a pleasant rose scent and just the right amount of moisture to remove make up easily and not dry my skin out. They are plenty big enough in the size of each wipe to be able to cleanse the whole face.

Rexel JOY 75 mm A4 Lever Arch File - Pretty Pink
Rexel JOY 75 mm A4 Lever Arch File - Pretty Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright & Cheerful, 7 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bright and cheerful - just what you might want in your home! This lever arch really is a very bright shade of pink but I rather like it. The cover has a textured feel (almost like linen) and this will hold plenty of documents with a clip to hold everything in place. There's plastic slot on the spine for you to write on the label and a hole to easily grab it off of a shelf. It's a lever arch file, so not much more you can say - standard size and everything - but it does add a splash of colour to your home office.

Cetaphil 236 ml Gentle Skin Cleanser
Cetaphil 236 ml Gentle Skin Cleanser

4.0 out of 5 stars Clinical but Cleansing, 7 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This cleanser is deigned for sensitive skin yet still to remove make up and other impurities. My skin can be a little sensitive sometimes, but this didn't irritate it at all and it still feels as clean as usual. The product is 'unfragranced' but to me does smell slightly clinical. A good one to try if the usual products irritate your skin.

The Warden: The Chronicles of Barsetshire (Oxford World's Classics)
The Warden: The Chronicles of Barsetshire (Oxford World's Classics)
by Anthony Trollope

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Edition, 12 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This volume contains both The Warden, the first story in the Barsetshire series, as well as The Two Heroines of Plumplington, which is the last story based in Barsetshire and was written as a short story for christmas. As you would expect from an Oxford World Classics edition, the paper is very smooth and feels high quality, making reading this an additional pleasure. There is also a Introduction, a note on the text (what a difficulty in choosing a 'definitive' edition of the text!) and notes on the text (I didn't read these as it interrupts the flow of the novel, but they can be very useful in explaining to modern readers that which contemporary readers would have intrinsically understood). There's a chronology of Trollope, a map of Barsetshire and a note on the clergy at this time, as context.

The Warden was the first novel by Trollope I had read, although I has sampled some of his short stories, so I knew I had no issues with his writing style (I find Dickens far too verbose - it's clear he got paid by the word!). This is what is called a 'condition of England' novel, and in some of the issues dealing with the power of the press, I found a particularly modern relevance to in The Warden.

In short, I enjoyed The Warden and The Two Heroine of Plumplington. The Warden is not a long novel and as the first in a series is probably a good place to start if you are new to Trollope. This is a nice edition with plenty of additional information should you feel you require it.

Richard III: The King in the Car Park
Richard III: The King in the Car Park
by Terry Breverton

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written bandwagoner, 23 Jun. 2015
I quote from the final page of this publication: "The writer of this book will face similar virulent criticism. It will be savaged in the book reviews on Amazon, mainly by non-readers, to take its ratings and thus popularity down." In fact, this is the last, but by no means the only rant by the author who appears to have a definite chip on his shoulder for some reason. Since he subjects Thomas Penn's work, 'The Winter King' to such virulent criticism, one can only suspect that he was turned down by Penn's publisher. One can hardly be surprised. I have read this book, despite wanting on a number of occasions to give up in disgust. It is full of errors of spelling (e.g. youngest for younger, now instead of not), so has evidently not had either a proof reader or an editor. There are also many factual errors with names and titles becoming hopelessly confused. On one page we're told that Sir James Tyrell was hanged and a couple of pages later we're told that Henry Tudor was so kind as to merely condescend to cut his head off!

I will admit that with pro-Ricardian sympathies I was probably never going to like this book, but it is a bit of a mess and feels like another case of jumping on the bandwagon. There is no index, no footnotes/endnotes and only a partial list of sources, which is enough to raise questions about academic rigour. If you are going to publish opinions, particular in The Great Debate, these really should be backed up by factual evidence. I think I am most irked by the hypocrisy of Mr Breverton telling us at one point that he is going to take a fresh impartial look at the subject and then immediately showing us exactly which colour he prefers his roses.

His list, near the back of the volume, of all the 'crimes' he thinks Richard III was guilty of really does teeter on the brink of blindness and absurdity. Apparently he is guilty in the case of the Earl of Warwick, son of Richard's older brother, George of Clarence, but whose claim to the throne was barred by his father's attainder (always reversible, but Warwick was then only a child of about 8 years). I'm pretty sure this Warwick was sent to Sheriff Hutton Castle to be brought up with other young persons, as befitted his status by Richard. Of course, as soon as Henry Tudor usurped the throne, this boy was locked up in the Tower only to be executed later on a trumped up charge. I think I know who the guilty party is in that case.

That is my frank opinion on this volume; I will now expect said author to savage me as he has everyone else who has pointed out the self-evident shortcomings in this work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20