Profile for Mrs. D. J. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. J. Smith

Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Open Fetterlock
The Open Fetterlock

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished Brilliance!, 1 Jan. 2015
Some bits of novels that Wainwright has never completed - a shame! The Adventures of Alianore Audley is one of the funniest things I've ever read, so I can't help wishing for more! I loved the 'real' Ballad of Bosworth Field - priceless! (I'm familiar with the poem The Lion & Albert, which helps!). For 77p you can't complain - unless it's that Wainwright hasn't written more!

Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater
Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater

3.0 out of 5 stars Not That Grate....., 15 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes with two drums, one 'coarse' and one 'fine' - one can be stored inside and they snap in and out easily, but are secure when in. They can be put in either way depending on which hand you prefer to use. I would not say that the 'coarse' drum is particularly coarse as I found the cheese grated rather too finely for me. It does have the usual problem of rotary graters of bits getting left round the edges. Then you have to faff about a bit to clean it and the area you put your cheese into grate isn't all that big, so you have to cut it smaller..... frankly I'd rather stick with my box grater - also easier to grate as much as I decide I want as I go!

Charles I (Penguin Monarchs): An Abbreviated Life
Charles I (Penguin Monarchs): An Abbreviated Life
by Mark Kishlansky

4.0 out of 5 stars The King Who Lost His Head, 6 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is part of a series of 'abbreviated' lives of British monarchs, published by Penguin. Charles I is not a monarch I've read a lot about, so I thought this concise history would be interesting. I found it to be well written an the author made a good attempt to be even handed. To me, Charles I came across as a man trying his best in a difficult situation - we must always remember that hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I know this is a brief 'life' of the subject, but I would just have liked a few more pages at the end summarising the direct impact of the execution of Charles I. It ends precisely with this death, I would have liked to have known just a little more - what happened to his body both then and latter and the direct political impact of this act of regicide. On the other hand, it has obviously given me a need to go and find out a bit more!

Disney Princess Magic Dress Sleeping Beauty
Disney Princess Magic Dress Sleeping Beauty

4.0 out of 5 stars Princess Perfect, 10 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Little girls everywhere seem to love Disney princesses, so what's not to like here?

This is a pretty well made doll and you twizzle the tiara to change the gown from pink to blue and back again. Obviously the drawback of this is that you can't put another dress on this, so if your little girl is a dolly dressing type, this may not be for her. On the other hand this could be good for a bit of excitement for little fingers which can't yet quite manage the dressing and undressing on a doll this size.

Busy B 2015 Couples Calendar with Dual Schedules & Storage Pockets, Birds Design

4.0 out of 5 stars Calendar for Couples, 9 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is rather a nice calendar, but it hasn't got lots of nice pictures and the 'look' for each month is quite similar. It's good for couples as it has space on one side for one persons activities and the other on the other side with a joint space in the middle. There's also a useful pocket at the bottom of each month which you could tuck theatre/concert tickets for that month into.

Zumba World Party - Bundle Pack with Belt Accessory (Nintendo Wii)
Zumba World Party - Bundle Pack with Belt Accessory (Nintendo Wii)

3.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you, 2 Oct. 2014
I have all four of the Zumba games for the Wii. This one has been growing on me, but there are still some tracks I don't really care for and sometimes it seems well nigh impossible to score on a particular move - and reading other comments I'm sure it's not just me! On previous games I could regularly score 5 starts fairly easily after a few runs through the choreography, but that seems to elude me here - frustrating! The worst ones for not being even able to hit a 'Nice' let alone a 'Zumba' is pretty much all of 'Born this Way' and almost every check to the right on 'Got to be True to Myself'.

To start with I did find it a bit too 'busy' when you did get all the backing dancers and the graphics in - especially in Puerto Rico - but you do get used to this. the graphics have improved as it now filmed against green screen instead of as stop motion - although I don't know how the tracking for your motion is done!

A few things in there that are not really 'traditional' Zumba, some I don't mind but the Hawaii ones I find a bit boring and same-y. They are not cardio and not working your core, so other than a bit of recovery, I can't really see the point.

Still, I'm hoping for another release sometime soon!

AmazonBasics Velvet Shirt/Dress Hangers, Black, Set of 30
AmazonBasics Velvet Shirt/Dress Hangers, Black, Set of 30

5.0 out of 5 stars Hang ups, 31 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You might think it's a waste on money buying hangers when you get them free when you buy clothes, but these are actually very nice and extremely reasonably priced.

They are very slimline but feel pretty strong. They are velvet covered and have a little notch so your clothes won't slip off. Once you've transferred a whole batch of your clothes on to these you can definitely see the advantage of using the same hangers for everything as clothes sit together a lot more happily and you can see what you have got - all at the same height. In my case, an awful lot of clothes!

Philips Lumea SC2004/11 IPL Hair Removal System for Body with Slide and Flash Mode

3.0 out of 5 stars Hair Today, gone tomorrow?, 31 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd rather leave it a bit longer before reviewing this product to be honest, but the Amazon vine Programme does give deadlines and I'm up to mine now, so here are my thoughts in this product so far. I will update in the future if I think it will be helpful.

This is a pricey bit of kit, so anyone thinking of buying this really needs a good look at all the available information up front. It's not suitable for facial hear, very fair skin, very dark skin of fair, red or grey body hairs. That's probably eliminated quite a few people...

It's not a quick fix either. You need to shave the part you want to use this on first and use the product while your skin is clean and dry without and cream or deodorant. You turn it on, put up to the appropriate power level for you (again, read the instructions carefully!) press to the body, wait for the green light and press the button to get a flash. Move and repeat as required. It gets warm quite quickly. This is supposed to kill off hairs at a certain stage in their growth cycle, so this isn't a one off fix, you'll need to do this a few times and it recommends no more than once a week. I think I've now gone through about four cycles of use. I can't say I've noticed a massive difference but I'm not yet ready to rubbish this and say it doesn't work as this is something that I think needs quite a bit of patience.

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pasta the Action, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As well as giving a number of different recipes for different types of pasta, we are treated to an introduction on the history of pasta, a look at some of the different types (and an index of them all too!) and instructions for making your own.

Most of the recipes are fairly straightforward - nothing you might think was too much fuss to even bother with. There are also good colour photographs of just about everything, which is always a help!

It's good for explaining what different types of pasta work well with which different sauces and why. There are plenty of little anecdotes too - I liked Michael Palin and the Spam!

So, having learned that Spag Bol is actually as British as....... well, chicken Tikka Massala! and that you can add cocoa powder to a fresh pasta mix to make a sweet dish, I think this is a cook book worth recommending!

Braun TS755 Iron, 2400 Watt, White/Blue
Braun TS755 Iron, 2400 Watt, White/Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Iron, 13 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, for many ironing isn't exactly an exciting activity, but personally in the housework stakes, it's definitely above cleaning the bathroom! Howsoever that may be, I'm sure none of us would object to something designed to make our lives that little bit easier. You may think all irons are much of a muchness and why should you be shelling out this much when one can be got for something like £15? Well, I can tell you why I like it and hope that helps you make up your mind.

It's got a good sized sole plate, so that means less time ironing. The angle at the top of the iron also makes it easy to get into corners and fiddly bits, so that's really helpful. It's relatively light for its size and has a good long lead (I've pulled shorter leads out of the wall before - annoying!). You can clearly see how much water is in the tank and the seal is good - it doesn't drip if you have my habit of resting the iron on its heel while you're ironing. The settings are clear and easy to use, including a numerical dial for the steam setting, so hopefully husbands everywhere will be able to iron their own shirts without having to look at the instructions :-)

Personally, as irons go, I like this one very much. Braun is a well known and reputable brand, so if you have plenty of ironing to do, I think this one is worth investing in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20