ARRAY(0x9ee58cfc)

Profile for Mrs. D. J. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. J. Smith
Top Reviewer Ranking: 815

Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Princes in the Tower: Did Richard III Murder His Nephews, Edward V & Richard of York?

3.0 out of 5 stars Biographical Interlude, 13 April 2014
Wilkinson admits that in writing the second part of her biography of Richard III, she became too bogged down with the whole 'princes in the tower' enigma and so chose to pull some of her thoughts together in this book.

Each chapter looks at a different suspect of aspect of the mystery. I've given only three stars not because there was anything particularly wrong with what was written, I think I just expected that Wilkinson had uncovered something new or had a stunning new theory to present! The downside with reading non-fiction books on the Kindle can be that you get to about 75% in and it suddenly ends with the rest of the book being footnotes, bibliography etc.

It is a good and lucid look at the facts and the arguments, so not a bad book, just nothing new and didn't meet the expectations I had formed.

The Third Plantagenet: George, Duke of Clarence, Richard III's Brother
The Third Plantagenet: George, Duke of Clarence, Richard III's Brother
by John Ashdown-Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars False, Fleeting, Perjured Clarence....., 12 April 2014
John Ashdown-Hill really has the ability to write clearly and compellingly. This latest offering takes a look at the middle of the brothers of York, George, Duke of Clarence.

Much less well known than his more famous brothers, Edward IV and Richard III, nonetheless, Clarence and his life and death were am important part of the story of this period. His supposed death by drowning in a butt of Malmsey wine is one of those well known 'facts' that might be a mythology all of its own, but Ashdown-Hill provides evidence to suggest that drowning was used as a method of execution in this period and considered kinder than hanging or beheading!

It's not a long book and a good proportion is given over to a study of the Clarence vault at Tewksbury abbey and the remains therein. If you are interested in the period, this is certainly worth a read. I look forward to the forthcoming companion volume, The Dublin King.

Beatrice and Benedick
Beatrice and Benedick
by Marina Fiorato

4.0 out of 5 stars Sigh No More, Ladies....., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Beatrice and Benedick (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If ever there was a play with a back story, then Much Ado About Nothing must be it. Here, Marina Fiorato has taken it upon herself to provide such a back story of how Beatrice, Benedick, Hero and Claudio first met.

For those who know their Shakespeare, this is a very intertextual book - this relates to the author's end note, which I shan't spoil for you now, but it's not hard to see bits certainly of Othello and Romeo & Juliet creeping into the story.

I found the story rather darker than I expected. Despite the misunderstandings in Much Ado, it is a light, bright story in the main - well, it is supposed to be a comedy! For me, not all of Fiorato's back story sat happily with the Much Ado that I know and understand - the portrayal of Don Pedro for one. That said, I did find this to be both a well written and compelling read.

Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor
Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor

3.0 out of 5 stars A Close Shave, 30 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
T've used Venus blades for a while, but I don't think I'm ready to convert to these ones with the 'shave bars' on them. It's a good idea in theory but just doesn't seem to work all that well.

These particular ones are supposedly 'Sugarberry' flavour. I don't remember being able to smell much at all to be honest. I did like the dark pink colour of the handle included in this pack - my old one was looking a bit worse for wear, so nice to have a brand new one,

The one thing I do like is the little plastic bit with the sucker on it so it can attach it to the wall - very convenient! It you do use the heads with the shave bars on it you will know by now that it's no good putting them down on the side of the bath as they will just stick¨

Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Cleansing System - Cleanser & Device
Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Cleansing System - Cleanser & Device

4.0 out of 5 stars Exfoliating for sensitive skin, 30 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This offering from the Olay range is a handheld device with a brush head, designed to be used wet with a gel cleanser. There is a 20ml sample of an Olay Regenerist cleanser (with exfoliating particles) included.

The battery compartment was a bit of a puzzle and the instructions not really helpful on this point! You need to twist and pull on the base of the handle bit.

There are two speed functions and basically you apply your preferred gel cleanser and use this to massage it into your face, more effectively than with just your fingers. It's slightly ticklish, in a nice way and does exfoliate too. It's probably going to be ideal if your skin is a bit too sensitive to take a cleanser with exfoliating particles as it is gentle.

So, yes, this does work, although a bit time consuming to use every day. Probably ideal for the more sensitive skinned and also it is quite pricey.

Regency Recollections: Captain Gronow's Guide to Life in London and Paris
Regency Recollections: Captain Gronow's Guide to Life in London and Paris
by R.H. Gronow

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly readable, 14 Mar 2014
Christopher Summerville has here collected and edited some of Captain Gornow's memoirs, particularly relating to the Regency period. The book is divided into four sections, each with an introduction by Summerville giving some context to the following selection. the anecdotes are varied, but good contemporary account (although written some years after the events in question) of life in the Regency period. This edition also includes a number of black and white plates.

Gornow was a man of a 'good' but unexceptional Welsh family, who fought in the Peninsular War and at Waterloo and became one of London's fashionable elite.

Northanger Abbey (Austen Project 2)
Northanger Abbey (Austen Project 2)
by Val McDermid

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Horrid Novel, 9 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea of The Austen Project is for six modern day authors to have a go do writing a modern day re-imagining of each of Jane Austen's major works. The first was Joanna Trollope's version of Sense & Sensibility, where the reviews seem to have been fairly lukewarm. This is the second offering, Northanger Abbey as re-imagined by Val McDermid.

Now, I've not read of of McDermid's works before, although I did think she was pretty smart when she won on Celebrity Mastermind. After reading this, I remain impressed. The novel tracks the original very closely and it's quite clever in how it does this. It is hard to imagine someone quite as naive as Catherine Morland in this day and age, but McDermind's 'Cat' Morland does pretty well. It's a very slangy novel ("amazeballs!"), sprinkled with 'txt spk', but then the original is quite slangy - especially the parts with Isabella Thorpe! I do think that to appreciate it you have to know the original quite well and have a passing knowledge of current popular culture. Catherine believing the General Tilney has murdered his wife or has locked her up somewhere is slightly fantastic, but rather more grounded than Cat's idea that the family may be Vampires.....! Still, if you can suspend your disbelief this is a fun and engaging read - in fact, a very 'nice' book... and with a very 'nice' hero. And I'm pretty sure this Henry Tilney would spell out all his texts properly - no want of grammar and total inattention to stops here!

The May Bride
The May Bride
by Suzannah Dunn

3.0 out of 5 stars The May Brides, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: The May Bride (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The May Bride is not, in fact, so much about Jane Seymour - although she is the first person narrator and was married in May (practically before her predecessor was cold.....) - as about her sister in law, Katherine Folliot, first wife of her eldest brother Edward (later Duke of Somerset and Lord Protector under Edward VI). Edward's second wife, Anne Stanhope, is probably better known to historians or lovers of historical fiction, but there remains something of a mystery around the fate of Katherine Folliot, which Dunn has chosen to take as the basis of this novel.

I realised I had read a couple of Dunn's previous works - The Queen of Subtleties and The Confession of Katherine Howard. Of the former, I remember thinking that Dunn must have done a lot of research into the history of confectionery, but I can't remember anything of the second book, other than it wasn't dreadful, but wasn't the best thing I'd ever read either. I feel a bit the same about this latest offering. There's a lot of detail in there about how a moderately wealthy Tudor family may have lived, but a couple of days after I finished reading it there is nothing that stands out for me. I think perhaps that Jane herself isn't very interesting and Dunn doesn't make her interesting. I think her point is that she's plain and dull and normal and gets on with things because it's just easier.... but it doesn't make for a very entertaining read somehow. Katherine herself, who is the focus of the novel also often doesn't seem very likeable, so it's difficult to like her story or to really feel sorry for her.

In summary, not a bad read and there are far worse out there, but someone it doesn't quite hit the mark for me - just a bit forgettably mediocre.

Weetabix Golden Syrup Biscuits 12 (Pack of 5)
Weetabix Golden Syrup Biscuits 12 (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced, 9 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm assuming the idea of adding some golden syrup was to make these a little sweeter - our palates are too often accustomed to too much sugar! When I normally eat Weetabix I do add a little sugar to make it more palatable, so I thought that perhaps you wouldn't need to with these... however, I didn't find these particularly sweeter that usual and I really wasn't too sure about the taste. It was a bit different, not really unpleasant..... but not really like golden syrup either!

I think if I buy Weetabix again, I wouldn't particularly be looking at this variant.

Weetabix Oatiflakes with Fruit 475 g (Pack of 5)
Weetabix Oatiflakes with Fruit 475 g (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting your oats, 9 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We're told that oats are a good option for keeping us fuller for longer, so Weetabix have gone all out to create a range of oat based cereals in their brand niche of providing us with healthier, filling breakfast options. This particular version adds some dried raisins and sultanas, adding some sweetness and contributing to you fruit intake.

The amount of dried fruit was more generous than in some cereals, but not as much as I would like. As if often the case, I found the fruit fairly hard and too chewy when you went to eat it. I'd rather go with the plain Oatibix flakes and add my own dried fruit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20