Profile for Mrs. D. J. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. J. Smith
Top Reviewer Ranking: 867

Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AmazonBasics Velvet Shirt/Dress Hangers, Black, Set of 30
AmazonBasics Velvet Shirt/Dress Hangers, Black, Set of 30

5.0 out of 5 stars Hang ups, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You might think it's a waste on money buying hangers when you get them free when you buy clothes, but these are actually very nice and extremely reasonably priced.

They are very slimline but feel pretty strong. They are velvet covered and have a little notch so your clothes won't slip off. Once you've transferred a whole batch of your clothes on to these you can definitely see the advantage of using the same hangers for everything as clothes sit together a lot more happily and you can see what you have got - all at the same height. In my case, an awful lot of clothes!

Philips SC2004/11 Lumea IPL Hair Removal System for Body with Slide and Flash Mode

3.0 out of 5 stars Hair Today, gone tomorrow?, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd rather leave it a bit longer before reviewing this product to be honest, but the Amazon vine Programme does give deadlines and I'm up to mine now, so here are my thoughts in this product so far. I will update in the future if I think it will be helpful.

This is a pricey bit of kit, so anyone thinking of buying this really needs a good look at all the available information up front. It's not suitable for facial hear, very fair skin, very dark skin of fair, red or grey body hairs. That's probably eliminated quite a few people...

It's not a quick fix either. You need to shave the part you want to use this on first and use the product while your skin is clean and dry without and cream or deodorant. You turn it on, put up to the appropriate power level for you (again, read the instructions carefully!) press to the body, wait for the green light and press the button to get a flash. Move and repeat as required. It gets warm quite quickly. This is supposed to kill off hairs at a certain stage in their growth cycle, so this isn't a one off fix, you'll need to do this a few times and it recommends no more than once a week. I think I've now gone through about four cycles of use. I can't say I've noticed a massive difference but I'm not yet ready to rubbish this and say it doesn't work as this is something that I think needs quite a bit of patience.

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pasta the Action, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As well as giving a number of different recipes for different types of pasta, we are treated to an introduction on the history of pasta, a look at some of the different types (and an index of them all too!) and instructions for making your own.

Most of the recipes are fairly straightforward - nothing you might think was too much fuss to even bother with. There are also good colour photographs of just about everything, which is always a help!

It's good for explaining what different types of pasta work well with which different sauces and why. There are plenty of little anecdotes too - I liked Michael Palin and the Spam!

So, having learned that Spag Bol is actually as British as....... well, chicken Tikka Massala! and that you can add cocoa powder to a fresh pasta mix to make a sweet dish, I think this is a cook book worth recommending!

Braun TS755 Iron, 2400 Watt, White/ Blue
Braun TS755 Iron, 2400 Watt, White/ Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Iron, 13 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, for many ironing isn't exactly an exciting activity, but personally in the housework stakes, it's definitely above cleaning the bathroom! Howsoever that may be, I'm sure none of us would object to something designed to make our lives that little bit easier. You may think all irons are much of a muchness and why should you be shelling out this much when one can be got for something like £15? Well, I can tell you why I like it and hope that helps you make up your mind.

It's got a good sized sole plate, so that means less time ironing. The angle at the top of the iron also makes it easy to get into corners and fiddly bits, so that's really helpful. It's relatively light for its size and has a good long lead (I've pulled shorter leads out of the wall before - annoying!). You can clearly see how much water is in the tank and the seal is good - it doesn't drip if you have my habit of resting the iron on its heel while you're ironing. The settings are clear and easy to use, including a numerical dial for the steam setting, so hopefully husbands everywhere will be able to iron their own shirts without having to look at the instructions :-)

Personally, as irons go, I like this one very much. Braun is a well known and reputable brand, so if you have plenty of ironing to do, I think this one is worth investing in.

The Vanishing Witch
The Vanishing Witch
by Karen Maitland

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Wicked this Way Comes....., 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Vanishing Witch (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book I've read by Karen Maitland, but overall I enjoyed it very much. It's set in Lincoln during the reign of Richard II and the plot does intersect with the Peasants' Revolt.

Some chapters start off in the first person, mainly by Catlin or by a ghostly character that we don't know much about, certainly to start with. The majority is written in the third person, but the narrative slips so easily from one to the other that quite often you don't notice it at the time. I've read a few first person narratives that are really clunky, so this is really quite impressive for me.

It's quite a long book - I have only a proof copy, but there are about 600 pages of narrative text - and I particularly liked that through this you are constantly revising your opinions of the characters and what is going on. The book is called The Vanishing Witch, but I think it's up to the reader to decide if it really is witchcraft, or just things the medieval mind couldn't explain... although there is certainly a hint of the supernatural with all those ghosts around!

Sacrilege (Giordano Bruno 3)
Sacrilege (Giordano Bruno 3)
by S. J. Parris

4.0 out of 5 stars Elizabethan Thriller, 11 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third book in a trilogy (well, unless any more come along!) but can be read as a standalone, although there is obviously some background detail. It's a thriller type story, set in the Tudor period of which there presently seem something of a glut. Parris' hero, Giordano Bruno is an outsider due to being an Italian in England (in the same way CJ Sansom's Shardlake is an outsider due to his disability).

It took a little while to get into, but when I did it was an enjoyable read. There are several quite gruesome murders and some serious jeopardy for the hero. If you like historical mysteries and don't mind a bit of blood, I think you will enjoy this.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedicure Daily Foot Moisturiser 60 ml
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedicure Daily Foot Moisturiser 60 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Foot moisturiser, 11 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I walk a lot and dance a lot, so my feet take quite a lot and a do get hard skin around my heels so I make frequent use of foot filing and foot moisturisers. Scholl are known as experts on footcare, so I thought this product would be worth trying. while there is a pleasant yet unobtrusive scent, I found this quite runny, more like a lotion than a cream. I didn't find it particularly moisturising either - certainly not better than an ordinary cream.

Theft of Life (Crowther & Westerman 5)
Theft of Life (Crowther & Westerman 5)
by Imogen Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars Enslaved, 11 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the fifth book in a series of thriller type crime novels set in the Georgian period. I had read a couple of the others, but not all of them and not for a while. I found it took a while to get into, especially working out relationships of characters - I note that another reviewer found it was slow to get going as they found it spend too much time on explaining the background stuff, so obviously a difficult balance to strike.

Out main protagonists are an anatomist and his friend, who is a widow and society lady. Obviously this series of books covers their developing relationship as well as presenting a series of crimes to be resolved.

I call this more of a thriller type crime novel rather than a detective novel as the murders tend to be somewhat gruesome and sensational. Of course with an anatomist as one of your protagonists, it is going to be about the bodies rather than a Whodunnit type of puzzle novel.

Ss I said, I found it took a while to get into, but overall it was well written and a good and involving mystery with some interesting characters.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedicure Intense Foot Serum 30 ml
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedicure Intense Foot Serum 30 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Made a Difference, 27 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a serum I found this quite watery and it does feel sticky when applied rather that nourishing.

I tend to work on me feet last thing a night, using one of those new battery powered foot files and an intense moisturiser as I walk a lot so the skin does get hard, particularly around my heels. A lot of other reviewers seem to like it, but there seem also a lot like me who have found it doesn't work for them. It doesn't feel moisturised after application and my feet haven't felt any softer for using it, so I'm afraid I can't personally recommend this one.

Monarch [DVD]
Monarch [DVD]
Dvd ~ TP McKenna

3.0 out of 5 stars Remastered Oddity, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Monarch [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read about this film a few months ago in a BBC article about films which had been lost. This was actually only made in 1996, but it seems someone misplaced the film.... there has certainly been a great technical job done on the remastering.

As to the film itself, I found it all rather theatrical and thought it better suited to a stage play than a film. There were some good performances but plot-wise it was somewhat unsatisfactory - was Will really what he said he was and what did the mysterious stranger really have to do with things (who was he and where did her appear from?!) - I expected a little more exposition.

Since I had a free copy to review, I can't complain too much but I can't see myself rushing to watch it again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20