Profile for smoggybear > Reviews

smoggybear "smoggy" (cleveland)

In the Front Line: A Doctor in War and Peace
In the Front Line: A Doctor in War and Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed This Book, 4 Mar. 2014
As someone who was brought up in and around Govan, I was attracted to this book. I enjoyed reading about places I knew well, and grew up beside (eg. I had surgery as a child in the Elder Cottage Hospital where Dr. Glen had worked, and recognised a lot of the Govan locations described). Dr. Glen's story is so engrossing that knowing the area concerned is just a bonus, and not a necessity. I enjoyed the author's easy style of recounting his experiences. You could almost imagine him sat in an armchair, by an open fire, whisky in hand recounting his memoirs. Very easy reading.

His experiences of the war(s) were very well described, and gave me a whole new insight into the role of the Army Medic during wartime. I particularly likes the sections of the book involving Osborne Mavor, (James Bridie). As a schoolboy we were regularly taken to the Citizen's Theatre, and I saw many of his plays there with my schoolmates. To this day Bridie remains a schoolboy 'hero' of mine.

In this centenary year of the Great War, the educational authorities should introduce this book into the schools curriculum. It is an excellent account of 20th century history.