Profile for Mr. Ja Hodgskiss > Reviews

Content by Mr. Ja Hodgskiss

Mr. Ja Hodgskiss "jhodgski" (Huddersfield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Peter Serafinowicz Show [DVD]
The Peter Serafinowicz Show [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Serafinowicz
Price: 5.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Really original comedy, 7 Jun 2014
Some great stuff on this DVD - ideas that I've not seem anywhere else and that work really well. Like most sketch shows, there's one or two duff sketches/characters that I just don't find funny at all, but most of them are good/very good with one or two memorable ones. The best part is the Christmas special - really surprising that PS did not get given another series after that, as it was especially high quality.

Weekend At Bernies [1989] [DVD]
Weekend At Bernies [1989] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew McCarthy
Price: 5.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious first time but only OK second time!, 7 Jun 2014
Saw this a couple of years ago for first time in ages - was so funny. So ordered the DVD and watched it recently, but it didn't seem anywhere near as good. Not sure why that was. Anyway, if you like silly comedy, this is brilliant - first time around, at least!

Can Science Fix Climate Change?: A Case Against Climate Engineering (New Human Frontiers Series)
by Mike Hulme
Price: 7.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Suffers from one major omission, 28 May 2014
I thought this book would serve as a timely antidote to the crazy ideas purported by Dr David Keith in his book, "A Case for Climate Engineering."

And, here, whilst Mike Hulme, does not advocate Stratospheric Aerosol Geoengineering, there is a major, major omission in this book - namely, why does he not contest the very notion of anthropogenic global warming?

Sure, we have the IPCC telling us that the planet is getting warmer and the consequences of such global warming could be dire, etc... but the IPCC is just a political branch of the UN. OK, it's advised by 1,250 'leading' scientists - many of whom don't even have their PhD's yet - but they must be 'on the money', right?...

Climategate I, II and III cast serious doubt from within about the IPCC. But then consider what the NIPCC have to say about the IPCC and their claims. Then look at the Oregon petition - signed by 30,000 *independent* scientists (inc. over 9,000 with PhD's) - and you soon see there are some serious doubts about the whole concept of anthropogenic global warming (incidentally, now renamed to 'climate change' - as there has been no recorded warming for 17 years).

David Keith's proposal can be knocked down in one blow as trying to (badly) solve a problem that doesn't appear to exist. So why does the Mike Hulme fail to mention the major underlying controversies?

This book serves as nothing more than a distraction from the real truth about our climate - essentially, that climate change is a natural phenomenon and there is no significant correlation between carbon emissions and global warming.

Intentional or otherwise, this book is a piece of misdirection. I would recommend instead looking at the NIPCC, the Oregon petition and performing your own research - as, unlike the IPCC's claims, the evidence against anthropogenic global warming is overwhelming.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 4:14 PM BST

Green People Light Hold Styling Gel (200ml)
Green People Light Hold Styling Gel (200ml)
Price: 10.75

1.0 out of 5 stars No hold / no effect, 30 Dec 2013
Given the good quality of other Green People products I've bought before, this was really disappointing. It had no hold and it was just like I had nothing on my hair. Returned it for a refund. Instead, I ordered some hair gel (vegan, natural, and with no nasties in it) from Animal Aid which works much better.

Peep Show, Series 5 [DVD]
Peep Show, Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Mitchell
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 1.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Easily the worst series of Peep Show, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Peep Show, Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
There is maybe one or two laugh-out-loud moments throughout the _entire_ DVD. This series is disappointing and relies too much on the cruder stuff and numerous sex scenes. The humour / entertainment is quite basic,=.

Fortunately, this series was just a blip. It wasn't especially bad, just not up to the usual (extremely high) Peep Show standard. It would have given it 3 stars but, relatively, it's so much worse than the other series, so just the 2 stars.

I'll keep this DVD but will hopefully remember to skip this one the next time I watch my Peep Show collection all the way through again.

PS - I'm writing this review in 2013 and I know that Peep Show 6, 7 and 8 are all much better than this. :)

Trust Raina 2.1 Subwoofer Speaker Set, Black
Trust Raina 2.1 Subwoofer Speaker Set, Black
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value - and sound pretty good to me!, 16 May 2013
I just received these today. I wasn't that impressed at first - played a song and it sounded really tinny. However, I then played around with my PC's audio settings (for Windows 7 it's: Control Panel > Sounds > Speakers > Properties > Enhancements) and that's done the trick. Sounds really good now - not tinny at all and the base sounds heavy enough. No rattling either (like another reviewer mentioned). For looks, I'd give them 7 out of 10, but I think the idea is to listen to them rather than look at them!... :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 1:42 PM GMT

Professional Android 4 Application Development (Wrox Professional Guides)
Professional Android 4 Application Development (Wrox Professional Guides)
by Reto Meier
Price: 19.11

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want a stimulating book to get you soon up and running, this isn't it., 9 May 2013
I spend almost as much time having a snooze in between reading the pages than I do reading the pages. I am currently on page 100 and I haven't written a line of code yet. I come from a Java ME background, but still find the content of the book very heavy.

I cannot understand the rationale of introducing Android development with 100+ pages of text with so few examples and, so far, no test programs to try out so you can actually get a feel and better understanding of what's going on.

2 stars as I'm sure the book will get better as it goes on (only another 700 pages to go...), but surely there must be something better out there. I'm beginning to wish that I'd just gone the developer.android.com route instead.

Also, I think people with little programming experience (esp. Java) will struggle with this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 4:11 AM GMT

500GB Sata Laptop hard drive for Acer Aspire 5920G - BRAND NEW LAPTOP SATA HA...
Offered by Laptop Adapters
Price: 43.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution: I was sent Hitachi not Samsung, 16 Nov 2012
I had done my research before making a purchase and found that Samsung made very reliable hard drives - far better than Hitachi.

So I ordered this Samsung hard drive - but they send me a Hitachi... And this is despite me having two telephine conversations with them during the ordering stage.

So I call them just now trying to air my disatisfaction at what's happened, trying to get some kind of acknowledgement or apology from them, but all the guy can say, over and over again, is "What I recommend you do is send it back to us..."

I got frustrated that he wouldn't address what I was actually saying to him and he hung up on me!

It does say at the bottom of the listing that they "can" send you an alternative make if they are out of stock. But what it should say is that that they "will send you an inferior brand without without checking you first".

Stay well clear.

Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript
Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript
by Robin Nixon

4.0 out of 5 stars May be too fast-paced for some brand new programmers, 19 Jun 2012
I'm an experienced Java developer and bought this to fill in the blanks on my limited PHP knowledge.

The book goes over a few stuff I already know - which I'm fine with as the reminders can be important, and it sets the foundations for the rest of the book. And by page 100, it really gets going.

For someone new to programming though, I think the pace of this book may be a bit too fast - especially as there doesn't seem to be any/many practical examples to work through. For newbies, I would definitely recommend trying out the code snippets in this book as you progress through it.

For everyone with some programming experience (or a lot of confidence), this book could give you a very good understanding of PHP, MySQL and JS within a week.

Mobile Web Design For Dummies
Mobile Web Design For Dummies
by Janine Warner
Price: 15.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Not technical enough, 9 Mar 2011
Although the first few chapters of this book were really interesting (I couldn't put it down), as I progressed through the chapters, I realised I wasn't actually learning anything of much use.

There are a few nuggets of useful information pertaining to mobile web development, but this book does not get near enough to the technical issues that you will come across as a mobile web developer.

There's also a real absence of design tips which, combined with one or two slips from the author(s), makes me question if they have the relevant credentials and experience.

Sorry, but not recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2011 11:31 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2