Profile for Chatterbox > Reviews

Content by Chatterbox

Chatterbox (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Brabantia Set of 2 x 10 litre Built-in Bin, Recycling Bin with Mounting Bracket - Black and Green
Price: 36.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 29 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start this review, I think it is worthwhile mentioning that this product is ONLY suitable for use inside cupboards, not IDEAL for use inside cupboards as its description says. For me, the latter implies that there is an option to use it in a different way, which, I would suggest, there isn't.

So, to make it clear, this product is designed to be fitted inside some sort of cupboard or in some sort of a similar arrangement. It can't really be used in a different way. Not as a fully functioning product anyway. It is quite useful once you are able to install it but I find those bins too small for the amount of recycling a typical household with an average family normally needs to do. As such, it would probably be better suited for either someone who lives on his/her own or, perhaps, a couple without kids.

Although the product is of good quality, as can be normally expected from the Brabantia brand, I think it's far too expensive for what it is and there are better alternatives out there. Hence, the 3 stars.

Straight to Yes
Straight to Yes
by Haider Imam
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Some useful nuggets..., 16 May 2013
This review is from: Straight to Yes (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Has some interesting nuggets that could be applied. However, there is quite a lot of material in this book that sounds impractical.

Ten Things I've Learnt About Love
Ten Things I've Learnt About Love
by Sarah Butler
Price: 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 15 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What attracted me to this book was initially a brief review I read about it somewhere, which gave an impression that the book was going to be quite different. In a way, it was different but I was disappointed in it because it didn't actually make me feel anything.

The story runs in parallel between two main characters Alice and Daniel. Alice has just returned to London from her travels because she received news of her dad's imminent passing. Daniel is a homeless man in search of his daughter. Alice never felt she was quite like her sisters or her dad... I won't tell you the rest not to spoil it for those who only just intend to read it. I will just say that the story is told in first person by both Alice and Daniel. Both will take you through various events in their lives until ultimately the story brings it all together. Although I thought the idea was good and could have made for a very strong and captivating book, in the end, it didn't deliver anything for me.

I found it challenging to read because the story tends to jump between two characters a lot and it's not always well linked in terms of the timeline and sequence of events. Although, once you've read the book summary, it kind of seems apparent where the story is going, it wasn't actually easy to understand the direction at times when you were actually reading it. Occasionally, the book also introduces some random characters, presumably, with a view to help with the characterisation of the two main leads Alice and Daniel but, in all cases, these random characters will be forgotten as soon as you passed the page where they were mentioned, so they don't actually do anything to deepen the reader's connection with Alice and Daniel.

Initially, I connected quite well with Alice whereas Daniel's character left me completely indifferent from the start. As the novel progressed, I lost interest in both of them and didn't really care what happens in the end. The story was poorly told and badly connected in so many places that, ultimately, I stopped caring what awaited me once I got to the end destination. The book certainly wasn't a journey from the storytelling perspective and it wasn't deep enough for me to consider it philosophical. Giving it 2 stars only for the idea that was at the core of this novel. Sadly, the idea was poorly executed.

From reading the reviews, I am pleased to see that quite a few people seemed to have enjoyed it but it wasn't for me.

Clarity: Clear Mind, Better Performance, Bigger Results
Clarity: Clear Mind, Better Performance, Bigger Results
by Jamie Smart
Price: 7.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Clarity? Not in this book!, 22 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For my review, here are the reasons why I am giving this book only one star. The author claims that, unlike most self-help books, this particular book won't tell you what to do or how to do it but will give you the fundamental insight you need to change your thinking and, therefore, change your life. Well, the book certainly does deliver on the first part of the promise: it never tells you what to do or how to do it in order to change your life.

Now, for the second part of the promise. While the author trademarked his so called unique insight as Innate Thinking, I will tell you this: it doesn't matter what terminology he uses, his so called insight or Innate Thinking is certainly nothing new. Most recent books on positive psychology effectively talk about the same thing with one crucial difference: most other self-help authors at least attempt to give you a set of guiding principles as to how you can get to your core state of clear, unclouded and peaceful mind. And if Jamie Smart seriously believes that nobody else has covered the idea that our reality is a product of our thinking, then he is seriously deluded and should have at least tried to familiarise himself with what already exists before he decided to reinvent the wheel.

Undoubtedly, this book will work for some people. Just like religion works for some: certain people can accept that God is at the centre of it all and is responsible for our peace of mind, wellbeing or the opposite while others need to challenge the concept and can't accept it unless it makes total logical sense to them. Neither of those groups is wrong. It's just how people's minds work. If you are the latter, logic and outcome driven type, this book will not work for you because it's full of contradictions that lack clarity to such an extent that Jamie Smart gets lost in his own drivel half the time. Here is one example: at one point, he talks about fear of flying. Consistent with the central principle of the book (it's all in your head), he says the fear isn't really there because if it was, you would still be afraid once you are sitting on a plane and the plane is flying. He believes that most people, who have fear of flying, are, however, afraid only before the flight but can tolerate it quite peacefully once flying. According to him, same applies to nervousness before interviews and all similar situations. This means that none of it is real and all of it is in our minds 100% of the time. And this is the biggest nonsense I've ever read in my life. Why? Because the majority of people, who have fears, phobias, nervousness and worries about anything, still feel them while the experience that brings those feelings on is happening. For example, take job interviews. Most people, who have been through one, will know that pre-interview nerves typically stay with them for the duration of interviews. And while, evidently, it doesn't kill most of them, nobody can say that as soon as they walked into the interview room, they felt calm and relaxed and everything was great!

In my humble opinion, some nervousness, fears, insecurities etc are all part of human nature. These things make us who we are and make us more interesting. No amount of clarity can totally eliminate them. All those things only become a problem when they incapacitate a person so much that s/he becomes unable to live and experience life fully. When this becomes the case, those with the problem need to seek help of a professional who is qualified to assist. This brings me back to the book. Jamie Smart outright dismisses the necessity of doing anything to deal with any issues, regardless of what they may be because it's all in your head. As long as you realise this and stop thinking what you shouldn't be thinking, you will be fine and everything will be great in your life.

Interestingly, the one thing that he is pushing throughout the book is the QR codes that will help you link to his website, where you can find out how you can pay for his workshops, coaching and his time at various events. You will have one of those codes at the end of each chapter; it's usually masked as a summary and an opportunity to connect with other readers of the book. For some reason, despite his claims that you don't need to do anything to achieve this unique insight, that will clear everything up for you, he does say that connecting with other readers by going on his website will help you externalise your thinking which is important to achieve the right outcomes.

Now the question is why do I need to externalise my thinking when, on every page, the same guy tells me how important it is to understand that it's our Innate Thinking that creates our reality, not external events???

I would absolutely love to challenge Jamie Smart to get a 1000 people, who live in an Indian slum or a starving village of Ethiopia and get 800 (80%) of them to achieve a significant tangible improvement in their lives by merely getting them to read his book. I assume they don't need his workshops or coaching because he doesn't need to tell them HOW to achieve anything. He merely needs to tell them that it's all in their heads, and all their minds will clear up and drive higher performance and better lives.

That's fundamentally what the whole book is about. Once you understand his insight, your mind will become so clear, it will be like the "Eureka!" moment.

All in all, my suggestion is this: if you are the sort of person, who can accept what they are told most of the time without challenging anything, this book may work for you. If you are the person who questions everything until it makes sense for you, I really wouldn't waste my money and time on this. Seek your answers elsewhere.

I guess I am the latter... Hence, one star.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2013 6:03 PM BST

What's Stopping You Being More Confident?
What's Stopping You Being More Confident?
by Robert Kelsey
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but..., 22 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is written with a good degree of clarity but I would say it's nothing more than a summary of many other self-help books on the subject of confidence. So if you have read a few of them already, I would advise you not to bother with this one as it is pretty much a summarised repetition of well known psychological theories such as dealing with self limiting beliefs.

The 5:2 Diet Book:  Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health
The 5:2 Diet Book: Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 6 Jan 2013
The first thing I'd like to mention before posting this review is that I don't dispute the benefits of the diet. There are 2 reasons for which I am giving this book only 1 star though: 1) formatting for Kindle is absolutely appalling and 2) everything that's written in this book is already summed up in its title. If you want to try it, just do what the title says and don't bother reading the book. The only other thing that needs to be mentioned is: don't try it if pregnant, have medical conditions or generally in doubt. That's all you need to know about this book. Really. You can argue that it only costs a quid but, trust me, you will be better off spending that pound elsewhere. Give it to charity or buy the lottery instead!

AnySharp Plus Knife & Scissor Sharpener, Carbon
AnySharp Plus Knife & Scissor Sharpener, Carbon
Price: 12.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 28 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little gadget is small but very convenient. You attach it to the table and can sharpen any knife in seconds. This probably the best sharpener I've had so far. Simple but serves the purpose really well.

Dealing with People You Can't Stand, Revised and Expanded Third Edition: How to Bring Out the Best in People at Their Worst
by Dr. Rick Brinkman
Price: 8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide but..., 27 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is quite a good guide to using communication skills for a variety of problematic people all of us typically encounter at work and in our personal lives. It's well structured, breaks each problem person into clear categories and gives good examples on how to deal with each category of difficult people.

However, I found that the categorisation is oversimplified in places and will only help you deal with problem people if their behaviours are mostly personality driven. Although this book does say that behaviours change depending on the situation, I would still say that most of the time behaviours will be personality driven regardless of a situation. So, this book might help you deal with certain personalities.

The downside is that, unfortunately, at work you also deal with many psychos whose difficult behaviour doesn't stem simply from issues that are concerned with getting things done, getting things right, getting along or getting appreciated. Many issues we encounter in a workplace are political agendas that can't be resolved through improved communication. Yes, even political agendas are concerned with getting things done or getting them right but whether you get on with certain people at work isn't always an emotional issue. Sometimes if your agendas are aligned, you will get along with the most difficult people even with little or no communication skills simply because you are on the same side. Equally, sometimes you can hate the most charming, normally easy to get along with people, just because your agendas aren't aligned.

Overall, it's a good book but don't expect to find an answer to every problem here. I am sure you wouldn't anyway but giving it 4 stars because I did feel it was oversimplified.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2013 4:17 PM GMT

Marware Eco-Flip Genuine Leather Cover for Kindle, Black (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and convenient, 19 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This case is simple and convenient. It's also not too bad looking. The only thing is I suppose to ask whether or not you want to pay near 30 to serve a simple purpose of protecting your Kindle. There are cheaper cases out there but if you want quality, I like this one.

TuneUp Utilities 2013: 1 User (PC)
TuneUp Utilities 2013: 1 User (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 19 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this product for few years now. It really helps to improve the way your PC works by removing unnecessary files such as the ones you may have left after installation of certain programmes etc. It speeds things up and helps your PC work better. The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes you may remove the stuff you need to keep, so it's worth checking what you are removing before doing it. Otherwise great stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19