Profile for Bluesbreaker > Reviews

Content by Bluesbreaker

Bluesbreaker (Birmingham England)

Page: 1 | 2
How to Win at Spread Betting: An analysis of why some people win, some lose and how you can be a winner
by Alpesh B. Patel

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensible stuff, 28 Nov 2013
I like Patel's books - I bought the first one after an impressive appearance on TV ( his not mine !) - and I liked this one.

He keeps it simple and emphasises a disciplined, low-risk approach. He's experienced,articulate and opinionated. Where he , unusually , expresses complex ideas then they are fully explained and underpinned.

I wouldn't however have bothered to submit a review if I hadn't disagreed with the 'poor proof reading' comments previously expressed.

I bought the Kindle version on 9/11/2013 and it reads fine - I haven't carried out a forensic investigation but I found no problems at all and I used all the charts as I followed the text - perhaps its been revised.

The Kindle is no place for complex charts but I wanted the immediate gratification - in any event there are only one or two which caused me to squint.

As regards the content of the book - use the 'look inside' feature, its entirely representative.

The Dust Mite Solution: How To Get Rid of Dust Mites and Relieve Your Allergies Without Pesticides or Toxic Chemicals (Natural Pest Control Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth purchasing at this (kindle) price, 16 Jun 2013
I have developed a nasal allergy and thus now entered the confusing , and expensive , world of dust mite eradication and prevention.

They're invisible to the naked eye , of course , so I might not have any dust mites. I've been trawling the web looking for clues and come across many different opinions.

This short book , 26 pages , is a very good speciallist overview of dust mites, their effects on us and their prevention. The author stays on this very narrow subject and thus provides page upon page of good advice. The early pages describing the biology of dust mites and how they react with our biology is an excellent example of technical writing for the layman. The subsequent prevention advice is informed and practical; the author tends to eschew expensive approaches.

After reading for 30 minutes, I now feel much better informed, much more in control of the situation and much better positioned to develop and pursue a sucessful strategy.

The Game: How the World of Finance Really Works (New Edition)
The Game: How the World of Finance Really Works (New Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book !, 2 Sep 2012
This book takes a look at how the City works.

'So what' I hear you say, there are loads of patronising books that do that. This one , however , is different as it doesn't crawl to the industry or treat the business like rocket science. And its VERY well informed and a perfect blend of academic information, wry observation and downright sarcasm.

The book deals with the nuts and bolts of the daily activities of Investment Banks - brokers, clients, analysts,IPOs, mergers etc - and assumes the reader to be interested and intelligent.

I've been a retail trader for many years now , on the 'outside-looking-in' ,and I've been waiting for someone to spot the gap in the market for a book like this. If you trade then just get the book - you can use 'Look Inside' to get a taste. Even if you know it all it will raise knowing smiles as it confirms your suspicions. ( The narrative concerning Brokers is a hoot ).

It gives a wonderful account of the roles and motivations of all the players but avoids the 'War stories', 'When I was a lad' type of tired anecdotes and there are no 'City Boy' excesses either.

Finally, and importantly for finance books, its bang up-to-date.

India With Sanjeev Bhaskar (BBC) [DVD]
India With Sanjeev Bhaskar (BBC) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sanjeev Bhaskar

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I liked it ! So There !, 21 Aug 2012
Contrary to many of the reviews here I found the DVDs to be very entertaining and pitched perfectly between the academic Michael Wood series and the slapstick of the Paul Merton package.

Bhaskar is a comedian but cracks few jokes; he occasionally pitches wry off-the-cuff remarks which are usually funny and reflective.

This is a travelogue, not a history lesson, and the whole thing is very reminiscent of Michael Palin's polished efforts and the equally polished BBC production values.

As a bonus , Bhaskar's language fluency means that we are not restricted to English-speaking characters.

A good and unassuming DVD set that gives a very good flavour of the contrasts and contradictions of India but that also gives rise to a polarity of opinion that seems odd to me.

Recommended.

Breaking Bad: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Breaking Bad: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Offered by A1tradingGB

5.0 out of 5 stars West Wing, The Wire and now this ......., 1 July 2012
I am a great fan of West Wing and The Wire and seemed condemned to forever search in vain for a series of similar quality and depth..

Until now

Breaking Bad, bought unseen from reviews here , is brilliant and , for me, is the equal of these two series.

Strong writing, acting that seems spontaneous and an interwoven plot , very reminiscent of the Wire, are just three aspects.

The cover of the box set cheapens the series and is very poor marketing - dont judge this book by the cover

At this price its a steal

But be careful - some of the plot developments will break your heart.

Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U90-MA-R Air Reach Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly better than Dyson, 6 Nov 2011
I have always bought Dyson cleaners finding them powerful and easy to maintain

I also like James Dyson's back story and his fight against the established manufacturers

But I prefer this machine ...........

Its brilliant

Sorry James

Where Are They Now?: Rediscovering Over 100 Football Stars of the 70s and 80s
Where Are They Now?: Rediscovering Over 100 Football Stars of the 70s and 80s
by Matt Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as interesting as title suggests, 18 Jun 2011
Mmmm.......could have been so much more interesting

Format of book is

c.200 words of career synopsis

c.120 words of 'where they are now'

Still may have been interesting - except for fact that about 65% of players in book , that are still alive , have spent the majority of their post-playing days involved in the game - coaches, greeters, agents, managers, consultants, physios, etc. Presumably because they were easy to track down.

I would have been much more interested in an update on players who had started a new life/career away from the game.

Cut Your Cholesterol: A Three-month Programme to Reducing Cholesterol
Cut Your Cholesterol: A Three-month Programme to Reducing Cholesterol
by Dr Sarah Brewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 5 July 2010
This is an excellent book and an almost no-brain purchase if you have Amazon prime

No throwaway booklet, this is an in depth study of the causes and treatment of high cholesterol. Ms Brewer appears to be an academic and the book certainly exudes authority and clarity. What suited me was that, instead of simplifying the science by omitting details, she actually clarifies it and leaves one with a really good grasp of whats actually going on.

In terms of contents I guess its the same as all the others eg definitions, causes, risk factors, diet, statins followed by a thorough plan for reducing LDL, increasing HDL in 12 weeks

I bought 3 books on being diagnosed with high LDL.

The other 2 were longer books, but this is the one that has stuck.

James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel
James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for seeds too !!, 22 Jun 2010
Not everyone will be looking for a coffee grinder.

I was looking for something to grind pine nuts , and particularly , very small seeds.

I happy to report that its excellent for this and reduces them all to a fine mush in about 5 seconds.

Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit Ultraportable Speaker for MP3 Players (Silver)
Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit Ultraportable Speaker for MP3 Players (Silver)
Offered by Digital Save UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Speaker for your ipod, 30 Nov 2009
This is an excellent speaker for the Ipod. For me there are only 4 questions (1) Is it good quality sound?- Yes very good quality (2) Is there any bass for such a small speaker? - Yes surprisingly good and certainly sufficient (3) Is it loud enough ? - Yes ( sometimes I turn it DOWN ) (4) Do the batteries last a long time? - Yes greater than 12 hours and counting. Thats it then, a perfect choice which I'm delighted with.

Page: 1 | 2