Profile for Weatherguesser > Reviews

Weatherguesser

Page: 1 | 2
Maglite Boxed Mini Mag AA Torch - Silver
Maglite Boxed Mini Mag AA Torch - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars My constant companion in winter (and good friend in summer), 21 Nov. 2011
I bought this Maglite to replace one that I used heavily for over 12 years. Actually I think it was a battery failure that destroyed the last torch, as I could not get the old batteries out - I suspect the batteries themselves expanded. This is the most brilliant torch to have in your pocket at all times in winter, and whenever it's dark in the summer. I'm lost without it. Actually, I use an LED conversion kit, which I transferred from the old torch, and that means it gives a bright light (albeit non-focusing) which lasts for ages and ages - my battery usage is now a lot less than it used to be with the supplied bulb, which was pretty good anyway. There are of course bigger and brighter torches that are better for many purposes, but those torches are not ones that you can keep in your pocket at all times. I have found no torch that is as small, indestructible (almost) and bright as this one, and so easy to carry around. (OK the Maglite Solitaire is smaller, but the beam on the Mini Maglite AA is so much better it's worth the size penalty.) I thoroughly recommend this torch.

Breville VKJ348 Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle
Breville VKJ348 Polished Stainless Steel Jug Kettle

5.0 out of 5 stars Stays shiny and new!, 21 Aug. 2011
I needed a new kettle to replace one that was leaking and only held together by limescale, having been living in a very hard water area. This one looks as good as new after each boiling, as I now live in a soft water area. Other reviews of this kettle comment on the flimsy switch. It may not be 'man-size', but it seems perfectly fine to me. I was interested too that Amazon reviews rate it quite highly, whereas Which? was not so keen, but Which? liked other types that Amazon reviewers have found to be leaky. So thank you to all Amazon reviewers who persuaded me to buy this; I agree with you!
UPDATE - November 2014. (In case this product comes into stock again.) The kettle was fine until the catch on the lid broke about a year ago. I could then only fill the kettle through the spout, or by fiddling to get the lid open. Not a problem, some would say, but I have read other reviews and I don't think I am alone in having a Breville kettle with a broken lid. I have finally given up with it and changed to another brand. Look for my new review elsewhere on this site if you are interested.

Venus Bar Stool Black | Venus Kitchen Stool, Venus Breakfast Bar Stool, Faux Leather Bar Stool, Gas Lift Stool

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy bar stool, 21 Aug. 2011
I am not really a fan of bar stools, but when I bought a house with a breakfast bar recently, I asked the vendor to leave the two stools he had, as I thought they were as comfortable as any I have tried. The problem was that the children liked them so much, they never got off them, so we needed another two for my wife and me. The shop that supplied the first two no longer stocked them, so a search on Amazon showed these, which are nearly identical to the originals, differing only in that the new ones have a chrome cylindrical operating handle, whereas the originals had a flat triangular plastic handle. Now we are all happy, except that my daughter is not yet heavy enough for the seat to go lower when she sits on it, and she does not get the full benefits of the stool. So now our food bills have gone up!

Panasonic KX-TG8524EB DECT Quad Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine phone!!, 21 Aug. 2011
I agree with all those who say this is an excellent phone. When I was choosing it, I was a bit concerned about the comments that keeping all the contacts the same on each handset (I have 4) was tricky. I disagree. Once I save a new number, it is easy to copy all the contacts on that handset to another one. The only 'tricky' bit is that you have to do this three times, once to each other handset. Given that each copy takes less than 10 seconds, the whole business takes less than half a minute. Hardly an inconvenience, though if Panasonic are reading this, they might wish to make it an option to copy to all handsets at once in the next version.

NAV-MAT - DASH MOUNT FOR PORTABLE SATELLITE NAVIGATION - Licensed by the Association of Chief Police Officers as an Official Police Security Initiative approval - UK Specification - See our advert in the Sunday Times
Offered by Southmid Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - Highly recommended, 17 Mar. 2011
The Nav-Mat arrived in nuclear proof packaging, so was in immaculate condition. Having extracted it, I have now used it in a Golf Mk6, a Vauxhall / Opel Vectra, and a Peugeot Boxer van. Both cars have flat or relatively flat dashboards and the Nav-Mat stayed rock solid and did not move a millimetre throughout long trips, even on very rough roads with all the potholes after the recent winter. However, in the Boxer, the dash slopes downwards towards the screen, and the Nav-Mat crept slowly down the dash during the journey. This occurred more on rough, concrete-set, roads than on tarmac ones. (I suspect that the movement was caused by the vibration in the vehicle making the Nav-Mat bounce slightly, rather than it actually slipping.) It was not really a problem though, as the Nav-Mat would stop when it reached the screen, but normally it crept so slowly that it was easy to pull it back up to the rear edge of the dash every now and again. I could try to jury-rig a hook to hold it up in place if I got really frustrated, but at the moment I am happy to live with it the way it is, especially as it is so easy to remove the whole thing from the dash for security when leaving the vehicle.
One thing I did not know before purchasing, either from the product description or customer reviews, was what the base of the Nav-Mat was like. I was slightly worried in case it was of a kind of shiny plastic, that once dirty would lose its adhesion. I am pleased to report that it is of the neoprene, with the dimpled rubber surface downwards. Thus I am not worried that light dust will affect performance.
All in all, a great product - much better than having a windscreen sucker, and the associated unsightly rings. Highly recommended.

The General (1926) [Blu-ray] [Region Free] [US Import]
The General (1926) [Blu-ray] [Region Free] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Buster Keaton

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story, a war story, a train chase, and a damn good yarn, 28 Dec. 2010
I first saw this film in the 70s at a public viewing and it has remained ever since in my memory as an outstandingly good film that I was determined to see again. Now, over 30 years later I at last have my own copy of it, and the film has proved to be even better than I remembered. I had not realised how much this story is based on fact, which is explained so well in the 18 minute long extra 'Video Tour of The General'. The other extras are interesting too. But back to the film itself. I had read the other reviews, which raved about the quality of the image, and even after the hype, I was still astounded by just how good the picture is, even though it's over 80 years old. I sat down with my wife and teenage son and daughter, and we all loved it, set to the Carl Davis score. (I have not tried the other two scores yet.) This film is a love story, an American Civil War story, an extended train chase and a damn good yarn, all rolled into one. In fact it's hard to believe that anyone could NOT enjoy it, and in the Blu Ray version with no region restrictions, it's an absolute bargain.

Page: 1 | 2