Profile for Gwen Parkinson > Reviews

Content by Gwen Parkinson

Gwen Parkinson "Scott" (Galesburg, Illinois)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [DVD] [1999]
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Marilyn Burns
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Who will survive and what will be left of them, 5 July 2007
Having seen most of the very best horror films as a youngster in the 1980's, I never got to see this until it was finally lifted from it's ban in 1999 and I have to be honest, when I did see this for the first time, I was a little disappointed, I am now convinced that the reason for this was because of all the hype and the fact that I had waited such a long time to see it plus I watched it in the daytime (not a good idea for a horror film of this quality). I say this because everytime I have watched it since that disappointing first time, I find it more scary on every repeated viewing and I seem to appreciate it more and more as up until about two years ago (at the time of writing) this wasn't even in my top ten horror films, it definitely is now and it will probably stay there for the rest of my life.

This film has such a depressing and grim feel to it and to me this is all the scarier for it as a horror film, it is probably for this reason that some people find it boring because I did on first viewing. if like me you are a huge fan of horror movies and was disappointed with this on first viewing, not because of the lack of gore (if that is all you are interested in then watch the remake) but because it just didn't somehow do it for you, then I would urge you to watch this a few more times late at night as you might just change your opinion about it, I am sure if I can then other people can (I can't be that unique).

For me, it is the all less is more that makes this film scary and from the moment that the youngsters stop and investigate the ghost town like house in the unbearable heat of Texas, I always get a creepy feeling that someone is watching their every move and this is because of the genius directing of Tobe Hooper, I have seen the remake of this and don't find it anywhere near as tense and claustrophobic as this original, then there is that unforgettable ending, in my opinion this is the greatest last 3 minutes to a horror film ever.

It is no coincidence that most of the scariest horror movies are low budget and this is another one of them because most of the actors look tired and depressed because at the time of filming they really were and this is to their credit that they worked so hard to make this the classic that it now is. A little tip to any director that wants to make a classic horror movie, over produced means less scary, watch this as an example. OUTSTANDING HORROR.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 4:26 PM BST

The Fog (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1979]
The Fog (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Adrienne Barbeau
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 12.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully filmed horror movie with a bedtime story feel, 4 July 2007
I love this film and out of all John Carpenters earlier films, Escape From New York, Assault On Precinct 13 etc. of which I am also a fan of, this is my favourite of his along with Halloween and The Thing, but this is only because I am a huge horror fan and so I am biased towards these particular three.

I just love the way in which this is filmed and the ghost town like seaside location of Antonio Bay is absolutely beautiful. I think that John Carpenter himself loved this location so much that he bought a house somewhere nearby and who can blame him, I am sure that it is in the documentary or commentary on this DVD that he mentions it. Like I said I love the way this is filmed, there is something that is really unique about it, for example the way in which it begins with John Houseman sat around a fire on the beach telling the children the story of The Fog, this to me gives this film the feeling of a cosy bedtime horror story but in a creepy way. I also really like Adrienne Barbeau in this and the isolation of her job as the lighthouse DJ, this really adds to the atmosphere because of her view of the sea.

Without going into detail of the story, this as with all John Carpenter films at his best, all starts off with nothing much happening as it is all about atmosphere and clever camera work but has the film goes on, it gets more and more tense and claustrophobic right until the end and this is why I love John Carpenter at his best, it is just a shame that he didn't make a few more horror films to match this and the others I have already mentioned. Another thing I really love about this film is the soundtrack as with Halloween by John Carpenter himself and I am not just talking about the main theme but also the music that plays during the drive that Adrienne Barbeau makes to the lighthouse in particular.

This is another one of those films that I love because I never get bored of watching it and it is because of this that it is one of my all time favourite horror films. I was a little sad to hear of the death of Debra Hill who died of cancer (she played a big part in making this film alongside John Carpenter) not long after I bought this special edition version, I think she was only fifty something. For those of you that don't already know, she also worked alongside him on Halloween and she also played a bit part in that film, the opening scene as young Michael Myers when he takes his mask off and takes the knife out of the kitchen was her hands, RIP Debra Hill.

If you have never seen this but you have seen John Carpenters other early films and liked the atmosphere of them, then I am sure you will really like this also.

Samsung YP-U2QB 2GB UltraSlim MP3 Player - Black
Samsung YP-U2QB 2GB UltraSlim MP3 Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and loads of little features that others don't have, 28 Jun 2007
I bought one of these in the summer of 2006 as I wanted a small MP3 player but with a decent amount of memory and a long battery life, although I paid a lot more for it than this. It was my third MP3 player and still is (at the time of writing) and I can honestly say that this is the best one so far and I take it everywhere with me.

I am going to tell you why I love this so much, first of all I want to say that the volume on this is brilliant, it goes up to a volume of 30, but even on about volume 23 it sounds loud enough, but the thing I really like about the sound is that I can never hardly hear any background noise for example on public transport, I mention this because on my previous two MP3 players (and one of them was more expensive than this) the volume was rubbish and they couldn't block out background noise on public transport. This is just the start of why I love this little beauty. If I were to rip CDs at 128 kbps then I would get about 500 tracks on this, if I did them at 64 kbps then about 1000, but the really great thing about this, is that I rip CDs at 48 kbps which means I can get over 1200 tracks and it still sounds fantastic.

I am going to mention some little features on this that I really appreciate, one is the abiltiy to change the speed of tracks, this has seven of these, three slower than normal speed and three faster than normal speed, this feature in particular is a great little addition. Then there is the user button, another great little feature, this basically is a button on the top that lets you change a setting instantly to save you from changing that chosen setting on the settings menu, so for example you can use this button to instanly change the syle of sound (graphic equalizer) or you can use it for play mode (repeat, shuffle etc.), to explain it in another way, you choose the setting that you like to change the most and use it on the user button. I have mentioned how good the volume is but I want to say how great the sound is overall, there really is a graphic equalizer sound on this to please everyone for example your usuall rock, jazz, house, classic etc., but the sound that I really like on this is the 3D sound for example 3D club (my personal favourite, great for heavy metal), and 3D stage (great for live albums) etc., and even if you are not happy with any of the preset 3D sounds you can create your own (more bass etc.) and save it on the 3D user option which is part of the 3D sound options, so like I said there really is a style of sound to please everyone.

I almost forgot to mention the playlist, this is easy enough to use, you can add and delete as many tracks from your playlist as you wish without even going near a computer. Once you get use to this feature, you can add and remove tracks to and from your playlist in just a few seconds, even without interrupting your music listening pleasure. For example if a track is playing and you want to add that particular track to your playlist, all you do is hold down the menu button and quickly press the user button, it will then go to your playlist, you then hold down the user button and quickly press the menu button to add or remove that or any other track, a star will appear at the side of all the tracks that are on your playlist. It does take a little bit of practice at first but once you start using it regularly, you will just instantly know how to use it.

Moving onto the design which I really like and never get bored of looking at it, when you switch this on or press any button, this will light up at the end in a neon blue colour, you can choose on the settings whether you want this off, on all the time or for a little amount of time, for example I have it on for ten seconds. It is also very small which makes it easier for carrying around and the menu option on this 2Gb version is extremely easy to navigate for example from artists to albums to tracks, but beware of the 512Mb version of this as I bought one for my mum because on this version it doesn't seem to go into albums and artists, only tracks which I cannot understand, but this could be me not doing something correctly, all I am saying is that I use this with windows media player exactly the same as this 2Gb version so I am confused on this particular problem, anyway I just thought I should mention this. The battery life on this is superb, it lasts about 15 hours and you just charge it through the USB port, this must have saved me a lot of money on batteries as my other small MP3 player only lasted about 4 hours even though it was supposed to last 8 hours. One last thing I will mention is that there are two small holes on this for if you want to use a strap which I bought separate to put it around my neck.

So all I have to say now is that if you already own a big MP3 player and want something smaller for travelling and aren't bothered about the radio (mine hasn't got one although my mums 512Mb version has), then I can honestly say that this is a fantastic option for the price.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 2 [DVD]
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry Tyler
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Good evening, this is a rather dark but delightful TV series, 27 Jun 2007
This is way before my time but when a programme is this good it matters not. I used to watch this sometime in the 1980's with my Dad and it was one of my favourite programmes at the time but it wasn't this series, it was the later series called New Alfred Hitchcock Presents because I can remember it being in colour, but anyway the presentation and music (very uplifting for something so dark) was exactly the same as this. Although I can't really remember all of the stories from those colour episodes, there was one in particular that involved somebody accidentally being buried alive after a plan went wrong and it put me off ever wanting to be buried when I die.

I love the way this series is presented by Alfred Hitchcock, he was a national treasure and I particularly like his witty remarks before and after each episode I really hope they release every series of this on DVD, it would be a tragedy if it wasn't. Just like the first series there are 39 episodes at roughly 23 minutes each and a good variety of stories all with some kind of twist at the end. I don't think that this is as well known as say for example The Twilight Zone (another classic that as aged beautifully) or to younger people like myself, but if you like that and anything similar, then even at over fifty years old (and as I have already mentioned this is way before my time) I would recommend this classic programme to anyone.

One last thing that I must mention is that if you own the first series of this on DVD, then you will know that the style of packaging is done in the book style, just thought you might be interested to know that the design of this second series boxset is different, it is the thin separate cases style, I personally prefer this particular style as you can take one out of the box at a time and it also takes up less space. I own some other universal playback DVD boxsets and for some reason they seem to have a habit of changing the design on separate series of whichever programme it is, anyway like I said, just thought you might be interested to know this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2010 1:21 AM GMT

The Incredible Hulk: The Complete First Season [DVD]
The Incredible Hulk: The Complete First Season [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Bixby
Price: 9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite superhero TV series of all time, 27 Jun 2007
Out of all the comic superheroes that have been made into a TV series, I can't think of one that I have ever really really liked, that is apart from this fantastic series of which I used to watch as a child in the early 1980's and I can't be accused of being biased (maybe a little nostalgic) because The Incredible Hulk wasn't my favourite superhero.

The great thing about this series is that you don't even have to be much of a fan of superheroes to like this (I wouldn't class myself as a massive superhero fan), it is the programme itself that is fantastic. I am not going to go into the whole history of what The Incredible Hulk actually is and how he turned out this way because I am sure everybody must surely know, even people who have never seen it and so I will just make a few comments on why I love this series. First of all there is the sadly departed actor Bill Bixby who in my opinion was born to play the role of Doctor David Banner, he had one of those faces that just made you really care about him and I know that people say this about a lot of actors but I truly don't think that this would have been the same without him.

It really was clever the way this series was made, it just feels a lot darker than most similar type of programmes and this is another reason why I really did and still do love it. It all starts off in a kind of cheesy dreamlike way with Banner and his wife living happily ever after and then all of a sudden they have a car accident, his wife dies and he survives and this is another reason why I say this was clever because to put this right at the beginning just after he was looking so happy makes me feel sorry for that Bill Bixby face even more.

Although I have already mentioned what happens at the beginning and if you have never seen this before then don't worry as this will in no way spoil it for you but if I say anymore about the story then it might and so I will say no more about it. I am just going to say one last thing about why I really like it and this is because of the style of which it was made, I mean for example, the whole way in which David Banner helps somebody in one town and then moves on to the next, I know this has been done many times but this must have been one of the first considering how old it is and I do love this style. It is at the end of each episode when we see him on his lonesome walking off after he has just made some new friends and having to say goodbye (another reason to feel sorry for that Bill Bixby face), moving onto another town by usually either catching puplic transport or hitch-hiking and it is at this point that the saddest music ever in my opinion to end an episode of a TV series begins, seriously, if ever a moment in a TV series can make a grown man cry then this is surely that moment. If you have ever seen the programme New Littlest Hobo, the way in which each episode ends always reminds me of that particular programme, although the music of which is both great couldn't be anymore more different.

I almost forgot to mention the role of The Incredible Hulk himself played by Lou Ferrigno, he played this part well both scary and likeable. I know that hardcore hulk fans probably already know this but I was suprised to learn only recently that Arnold Schwarzenegger auditioned for this part but was turned down because he wasn't tall enough, I really do learn something everyday.

Anyway, I am not going to say anymore other than to recommend this TV series to anyone, kids or adults and like I have already said, even if you don't really like superhero programmes you still might like this.

Hidden Treasures
Hidden Treasures

5.0 out of 5 stars After thirteen years of waiting I finally own this little gem on CD, 26 Jun 2007
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Audio CD)
Megadeth are one of my favourite bands of all time and so I own all of their official albums apart from any greatest hits compilations. This little gem was originally released as a bonus CD with the limited edition version of Youthanasia, I can remember when that album was released in 1994 and at the time a friend of mind who had bought it of whom I borrowed it from told me that if I wanted this bonus CD, then I should hurry up and buy it as there weren't many copies left, did I take this advice?, no and so I have had to wait thirteen years for this and I now finally own it, I am not sure if it has ever been released on its own before in this country but I have never seen it up until this release.

There are eight tracks on the original version of this, some are original and some are cover versions, all of which are featured in movies. One of these of which I already own called Diadems which is from the soundtrack of the film Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight and my favourite from the Last Action Hero soundtrack called Angry Again (I think this is now on one of their greatest hits compilations) of which I already own but only on cassette.

The only thing that I don't personally like about this release is the bonus tracks, not that I dislike the bonus tracks but just that I find it totally pointless to put them on this CD and I am really getting fed up of this obsession, I wouldn't mind if they just put them on a separate bonus CD, I know that some albums do it this way and I think that most people will agree that this is a much better way of releasing bonus tracks as you don't have to skip tracks.

So then, if you are a huge Megadeth fan like me and you haven't got round to buying this, then do because at under five pounds, it is better to be safe than sorry and end up (I know it is unlikely, but you never know) missing out like I did thirteen years ago.

The Real Thing
The Real Thing
Price: 4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the one and only, FAITH NO MORE, 19 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Real Thing (Audio CD)
There is great music and great music that changed the way that I felt about music, Faith No More are one of the bands that changed the way that I felt about music, they really were one of those unique bands that just had that something special about them that I just can't fully explain.

I first bought this in about 1992, so I was a fairly late fan, although I had heard the singles Epic and From Out Of Nowhere on their original release, it was this album that really got me into Faith No More, it was also great timing as not long after I bought this, the equally brilliant Angel Dust was released (talk about musical heaven in such a short space of time). Like I said I can't explain exactly what that special something is about them but you know that you really really like a band when you have to have every official album that they have ever released.

This album is as good as perfect, there is not one track on it that I don't like and I can also say this about Angel Dust and the underrated King For A Day Fool For A Lifetime. Although I like the first Faith No More albums with Chuck Mosely on vocals, it is these with Mike Patton on vocals that is Faith No More at their very best. Although I miss Faith No More, I am glad that they quit when they did as it just makes them more special to me and I always got the feeling that they were making music that they wanted to make and not to be a mainstream success which is another bonus.

If like me you like all types of heavy metal and for some reason you have never heard of Faith No More, then I urge you to check this and the other Faith No More albums I have already mentioned, because like me it might just change (in a very good way) the way that you feel about music forever.

Amazing Stories: The Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Amazing Stories: The Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Terry Beaver
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stories, 19 Jun 2007
I think that this used to be on every sunday morning or afternoon but it really doesn't seem more than twenty years ago so maybe they were repeated in the 1990's because this is when I seem to remember it being on, all I know for certain is that I never watched it properly and I don't know why, I know this seems strange but I think the reason for this was because I hated sundays and so I just couldn't be bothered, I think had this been on a friday or saturday I would have probably watched it properly.

I bought this because I really like anthology programmes and I just knew that this would be different from everything else that I like as Steven Spielberg is involved, that and the fact that it was a fairly cheap price on Amazon compared to everywhere else I have seen it being sold. I can say that I am really glad that I bought it, as it is another gamble that as paid off for me.

I have to say that I am amazed that only two seasons of this were made, especially as Speilberg was involved. This like most anthology programmes as something for everyone, a little comedy here, a few frights there etc. There are plenty of big name actors involved in this, although personally I couldn't give a flying circus as long as the stories are amazing which thankfully they are or near enough at least. Each episode is about 23 minutes each, as you are probably aware as always, this is because of the advert freezone (without adverts). There are twenty four episodes on four discs, six episodes on each disc, in two very thin cases. I know that this style of packaging isn't for everyone but it is one of my favourite syles of packaging as it is very tidy, they are not awkward to open and also you can lend somebody one case at a time if you haven't finished watching the full season.

One last thing about this boxset that deserves a special mention is that the picture and sound have been remastered and so the quality is as good as perfect, out of the Universal Playback DVD Boxset releases, the picture and sound quality is as good as any, why or why can't they all be treated with this much respect I will never know.

So then, if you want to watch some amazing stories then this is well worth adding to your collection.

The Twilight Zone (1980s) - Series 1 [DVD]
The Twilight Zone (1980s) - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent remake of Rod Serling's original classic, 19 Jun 2007
I really like this and think it is an excellent remake and although it is probably darker overall(not in a blood and guts kind of way), I don't think that it disrespects Rod Serling's original classic in anyway. I remember seeing a few episodes of this as a child in the 1980's but not that many, it was the first version that I saw and I think that it used to be on really late so that would propably explain it. I have been collecting the original version boxsets and really liking them so I couldn't resist buying the colour versions aswell as I really like anthology shows anyway plus it gives me a chance to see all the ones that I missed.

This season one colour boxset has twenty four episodes but it actually has about fifty nine stories, some episodes have two stories and some have three, some longer than others, roughly between ten and thirty minutes long, although don't be put off by the ten minute ones as they are short but effective. Like the original this is a good mix of everything from scary to weird. I know this might upset some fans of the original but I have to say that I think that the music and opening title of this version is better than then original, I find it very and I mean very creepy, it samples the original theme tune but adds all kinds of weird noises and images plus there is that one second glimpse of Rod Serling himself which I find very haunting.

The only thing that disappoints me about this boxset is like other people have mentioned, that the quality of the sound and picture should have been better, it is as if the sound wasn't mixed very well in the first place, although I already knew this from reading other peoples comments, it wasn't enough of a problem for me to not buy it and so I would say don't let this put you off plus life is too short to wait around to see if any proper remasters are ever released but it is still frustrating considering dvds were made in the first place for the best possible picture and sound quality. One more thing I would like to say about this version is to not be put off by the 1980's fashion as this would be unfair considering that this decade was colourful anyway and so you can't really blame it for this, if you do then you will be really missing out if you like this type of show.

So then, if like me you love the original, are open minded and like anthology shows, then you would have to be an extreme snob to ignore this, so if you can afford to buy or borrow it, then give it a chance and make your own verdict.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2010 1:12 AM GMT

Samsung YP-U2R - 2Gb UltraSlim MP3 Player -With FM Radio
Samsung YP-U2R - 2Gb UltraSlim MP3 Player -With FM Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and loads of little features that others don't have, 12 Jun 2007

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7