Profile for Gwen Parkinson > Reviews

Content by Gwen Parkinson

Gwen Parkinson "Scott" (Galesburg, Illinois)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Dvd ~ Gordon Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic series, another great shelf space saver., 5 April 2013
The Professionals Complete Boxset - REPACK [DVD]

Just a brief review of the packaging of this set. No extras in this set, so if you want them you will need to go for the older sets. Personally I wasn't bothered, I just wanted every episode and uncut and this set has given me that.

Wasn't sure how big this set was, but hoped it would be small judging by the REPACK in the title and thankfully it is small.

It's four standard dvd cases in an outer card box, so that tells you exactly how wide it is. One case for each of the four series, with four discs in each.

You get the episode titles at the bottom on the back of the case plus ones with brief description included on the reverse of the cover underneath the dvds. Anyone who owns a fair amount of Network releases will know exactly what I mean. Similar, but without the the original airdates. There is no end of part one/two etc. though like you get with Network releases, which is a shame as I prefer them to be included.

EDIT: I paid £33.00 for this set brand new including postage, so that's £8.25 a series. Have just looked at some of the individual series releases though and noticed that these below I have put links too look exactly the same as the ones in my complete REPACK set, so I assume that they are. If so, then the only difference is the outer card box. Just thought it was worth mentioning for anyone not bothered about the outer box and looking for cheaper new or used copies.

The Professionals - Series 1 (New Packaging) [DVD]
The Professionals - Series 2 (New Packaging) [DVD]
The Professionals - Series 3 (New Packaging) [DVD]
The Professionals - Series 4 (New Packaging) [DVD]

Dvd ~ Garry Shandling

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review of the packaging., 5 April 2013
The Larry Sanders Show - Complete [DVD] [1992]

Will try and keep this brief. Always planned on buying this, but could never make my mind up whether to go for this cheaper UK release or the more expensive US release with extras. As mentioned this UK release has no extras at all, just every episode and I decided I'm happy with that at least for now and the price I paid of £39.99 brand new was just too good to ignore. Very happy to finally own it.

If I do decide I want any extras sometime, then I will add the US dvd below which has more than enough for me.

Not Just the Best of the Larry Sanders Show [DVD] [1993] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

Okay so just a review of the packaging, not the show itself. Having received this, I was absolutely delighted with the packaging and smaller than expected size of this complete series set, as some other reviewers aren't happy with it and think it's cheap looking etc., but I disagree. I was expecting it to be bigger judging by the stock photo. Looks much much chunkier in that advertised stock photo than it is in reality. I'm sure someone will post some photo's eventually.

The width size of the boxset is of just four standard dvd cases, so another wonderful shelf space saving set.

Nine slimline dvd cases in an outer card box. Two discs in some and one others, as some seasons have 3 discs and the shorter ones 2 discs.

These cases have their own colour for each of the six seasons. These are red season one, blue season two, orange season 3, green season 4, purple season 5 and pink season 6.

Back of the slimline cases includes episode titles with brief description and guest stars. Nothing unusual about that, but it's always nice to have them as some boxsets don't.

Cheers -  The Complete Seasons Box Set [DVD] [1982]
Cheers - The Complete Seasons Box Set [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Ted Danson

5.0 out of 5 stars The price was right to add this classic US sitcom to my collection., 5 April 2013
Cheers - The Complete Seasons Box Set [DVD] [1982]

Always planned on buying this set and finally received it. As a long time experienced buyer and as other's have mentioned, it's good to keep an eye on the prices as they change often. Cost me £41 brand new and sealed by amazon when I ordered, that's about £3.72 a series. Never seen it that cheap on here or any other site, so didn't even think and ordered immediately. Only ever seen the odd random episodes of "Cheers" and have fond memories of watching the early series on friday nights in the early 1980s around 10.00 pm. Nice to know I can finally watch the entire series of this classic in my own time whenever I'm in the mood.

Another great space saver too for over 40 discs at the width size of about 8 standard dvd cases in total. I Like the unusual bookstyle packaging which I've never seen before and I have hundreds of boxsets. Unusual in that they aren't actually attached to the outer cases like the usual plastic bookstyle packaging boxsets, so as pictured you can remove/place back in at anytime with no trouble. Seems like nothing and a bit pointless, but nice idea I thought, because by allowing to take out the 20 plus discs on holders and turning, means avoiding any risk of damaging the outer plastic boxes if looking for a particular disc from a particular season.

Dvd ~ Edward Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Gotta problem? Odds against you? Call The Equalizer', 2 April 2012
The Equalizer - Season Two [DVD]

Anyone who has the season 1 playback release will know it was slim cases in a card box. That is my favourite type of DVD Boxset packaging, but season 2 is the bookstyle packaging in a plastic case. I think opinions are really split as to which is the best, but both are great space savers. You get a booklet with this season 2 fabulous release with very long info on every episode. I have listed the episodes below and which discs they are on.

The Equalizer Season 2 - (October 8th, 1986 - May 27th, 1987)

1) Prelude

Original Series Concept
Original Series Biographies
Image Gallery
Episode Guide Booklet

It's been almost four years since season 1 was released, but at least season 2 is finally in my collection. I just hope the remaining two seasons are released well before 2016.

Dvd ~ Nick Mancuso

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE DAY I WILL ASK YOU FOR A FAVOR..., 1 April 2012
Stingray: Complete Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

This series ran for two seasons in the mid 1980s, although it's one I can't remember and I don't know if it was shown in the UK. It's a real shame, because it deserves to be remembered as much as the other well known 1980s classic TV shows that I love. It reminds me of a mixture of those shows I love, like for example "Miami Vice" and "The Equalizer".

This release is by Mill Creek, they release a lot of cheap boxsets with films which I have many of, so I knew not to expect anything special. Another bargain though by Mill Creek at under £6 brand new with free post. Apparently this has a few music edits in a few episodes, but I couldn't possibly say which. Picture quality is good.

Just a brief description about the packaging, you get both seasons on five single sided discs. Episode titles are on the discs and menus, but no suprise from a Mill Creek release, you don't get any booklet or brief episode info. The DVD box is about the width of two standard DVD cases together or just a little less. The five DVDs are stacked on top together, each in a paper sleeve with window. I have listed the episodes from both seasons below and which discs they are on.

Pilot Episode - (July 14th, 1985)

Season 1 (8 episodes) - (March 11th, 1986 - May 13th, 1986)

Disc One:

5) Abnormal Psych
6) Orange Blossom
7) Less than the Eye Can See
8) That Terrible Swift

Season 2 (15 episodes) - (January 9th, 1987 - May 8th, 1987)

Disc Three:

12) Blood Money
13) Anytime, Anywhere
14) Caper
15) One Way Ticket to the End of the Line

All episodes including the pilot are numbered 1 - 25 on the discs, so season 1 episode 1 is actually numbered episode 3 on this boxset.

Dvd ~ Barry Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and an excellent space saver., 1 April 2012
Doctor On The Box: The Complete Series [1969] [DVD]

I have many DVD boxsets and "Doctor On The Box" is my favourite type of packaging. You get ten slim DVD cases with two DVDs in each case all inside a nice card box as pictured. It is the same packaging as my complete series collection of "On The Buses", "In Sickness And In Health", "One Foot In The Grave" and "Bless This House".

Most of my complete series sitcom boxsets are the booksyle which are also a great space saver, but I do prefer the slim DVD case packaging personally, so I was delighted when "Doctor On The Box" arrived in my favourtie type of DVD boxset packaging. It is about the width size of five standard DVD cases together, excellent space saver for a total of 137 episodes on twenty discs. I have listed below which series and episodes are in each slim DVD case.

Slim DVD Case 1: Doctor in the House Complete Series 1 - (12th July 1969 - 4th October 1969):

Disc One: Episode 1-7
Disc Two: Episode 8-13

Slim DVD Case 2: Doctor in the House Complete Series 2 - (10th April 1970 - 3rd July 1970):

Disc Three: Episode 1-7
Disc Four: Episode 8-13

Slim DVD Case 3 & 4: Doctor at Large Complete Series - (28th February 1971 - 12th September 1971):

Disc Five: Episode 1-7
Disc Six: Episode 8-14
Disc Seven: Episode 15-22
Disc Eight: Episode 23-29

Slim DVD Case 5 & 6: Doctor in Charge Complete Series 1 - (9th April 1972 - 8th October 1972):

Disc Nine: Episode 1-7
Disc Ten: Episode 8-14
Disc Eleven: Episode 15-21
Disc Twelve: Episode 22-27

Slim DVD Case 7: Doctor in Charge Complete Series 2 - (15th September 1973 - 29th December 1973):

Disc Thirteen: Episode 1-8
Disc Fourteen: Episode 9-16

Slim DVD Case 8: Doctor at Sea Complete Series - (21st April 1974 - 14th July 1974):

Disc Fifteen: Episode 1-6
Disc Sixteen: Episode 7-13

Slim DVD Case 9: Doctor on the Go Complete Series 1 - (27th April 1975 - 20th July 1975):

Disc Seventeen: Episode 1-6
Disc Eighteen: Episode 7-13

Slim DVD Case 10: Doctor on the Go Complete Series 2 - (16th January 1977 - 10th April 1977)

Disc Nineteen: Episode 1-7
Disc Twenty: Episode 8-13

It would have been nice if this boxset included the following and final two in the Doctor series of "Doctor Down Under" and the BBC 1990s "Doctor at the Top" to really complete the Doctor series collection 100%, but it is still an excellent value DVD Boxset at the price I paid brand new for £48 and an excellent space saver too.

Maybe it's partly a nostalgic thing, but I do really love old ITV sitcoms and think they are so cosy and underrated. I am very happy to have added this to my ever growing classic sitcom collection and hope Network continue to release many more complete boxsets in the future, as I would like to replace all my individual DVD releases to save as much shelf space as possible.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2013 7:44 PM GMT

Miami Vice: Series 5 [DVD]
Miami Vice: Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Don Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Correct order of episodes listed for season 5., 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Miami Vice: Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Miami Vice - Season 5 [DVD]

Never got to see all of "Miami Vice" in the 1980s as a child, I think it was on too late on a school night. I can only ever remember seeing the odd episode now and then. It's a great show and looks and sounds stunning and really gives you that feeling that you are there, so you can really see what sunny Miami looked like back then. A great show that really does take me back to the larger than life decade, with it's fantastic use of popular music and fashion from that era plus Jan Hammer's beautiful soundtracks, love it.

As one of the other reviewer's already mentioned, the episodes on this boxset are the same as the airdates, some of which were incorrect. I think some of the earlier seasons also have some episodes in the wrong order, but the final season in particular is the worse because of the finale, although most are in the correct order. I have listed below the episodes in the order they should have been aired and which discs they are on.

Production Order:

1) Hostile Takeover (Disc 1, Episode 1)
2) Redemption In Blood (Disc 1, Episode 2)
3) Heart Of Night (Disc 1, Episode 3)
4) Borrasca (Disc 2, Episode 1)
5) Bad Timing (Disc 1, Episode 4)
6) Line Of Fire (Disc 2, Episode 2)
7) Asian Cut (Disc 2, Episode 3)
8) Hard Knocks (Disc 2, Episode 4)
9) Fruit Of The Poison Tree (Disc 3, Episode 1)
10) To Have And To Hold (Disc 3, Episode 2)
11) Miami Squeeze (Disc 3, Episode 3)
12) Jack Of All Trades (Disc 3, Episode 4)
13) The Cell Within (Disc 4, Episode 1)
14) The Lost Madonna (Disc 4, Episode 2)
15) Victims Of Circumstances (Disc 5, Episode 1)
16) Over The Line (Disc 4, Episode 3)
17) World Of Trouble (Disc 5, Episode 3)
18) Miracle Man (Disc 6, Episode 1)
19) Leap Of Faith (Disc 6, Episode 2)
20) Too Much, Too Late (Disc 6, Episode 3)
21) Freefall (Disc 5, Episode 2)

To make it easier for anyone that wants to watch this boxset in the correct production order, then simply follow the three steps below when you get to those episodes:

1) "Bad Timing". Watch "Borrasca" first.

2) "Over The Line". Watch "Victim Of Circumstances" first.

3) "Freefall". Series finale, so save until last.

Dvd ~ Rex Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man, The Machine...STREET HAWK., 10 Feb 2012
Street Hawk - The Complete Series [DVD] [1984]

Whilst many other outlandish escapism US TV classics of the 1980s got more than one season, for example "The A-Team" (5 seasons), "Knight Rider" (4 seasons), "Miami Vice" (5 seasons), "Airwolf" (4 seasons), "Magnum" (8 seasons), "The Fall Guy" (5 seasons), "The Equalizer" (4 seasons), others like "Automan", "Manimal" and "Street Hawk" unfortunately only got the one short season. A real shame, because in my opinion "Street Hawk" was good enough to last at least four seasons and had it been given a chance and got that important second season, then I guess it would've got another third, fourth and possibly fifth season. It's all history now though and I'm just pleased that it's added to my collection.

Another typically brilliant catchy theme tune too that stays in my head. This one was by synth pioneer legends "Tangerine Dream". Already enough great reviews of the show, but just decided to add my five stars to "The Man, The Machine...STREET HAWK".

Below I have listed the episodes and which discs they are on:

1) Pilot Episode

Disc 4 Plus Extras:

12) Female of the Species
13) Follow the Yellow Gold Road

Dvd ~ Barry Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the warmest and funniest sitcoms of all time., 4 Feb 2012
Mind Your Language - Complete LWT Series [DVD]

I have many BBC/ITV sitcoms on dvd. The majority of them are from the golden era of sitcoms, the 1970s. "Mind Your Language" is right up there with my favourites, I don't know how anyone could be offended by it, but each to their own. The very catchy and uplifting opening theme tune is almost constantly stuck in my head too, excellent.

Not really much to add, because there are many great reviews already that tell newcomers all they need to know. I love it though, warmed to all the characters after a few episodes. Watching them try and learn the English language and misunderstanding almost every word is hilarious, sometimes I have to rewind to see how they misunderstood something. Sometimes the teacher "Mr Brown" get's so used to them misunderstanding that he mistakingly repeats some of their catchprases or mannerisms, very funny.

Episodes rarely go out of the classroom which is a good thing. I just wish the fourth and final series from the 1980s would get a dvd release to complete the collection.

A thousand apologies if someone's already listed the episodes below:

Series One: (30th December 1977 - 24th March 1978)

1) The First Lesson

10) Hello Sailer
11) A Point of Honour
12) How's Your Father?
13) The Examination

Series Two: (7th October 1978 - 25th November 1978)

1) All Present If Not Correct
2) Queen for a Day
3) Brief Re-Encounter
4) Many Happy Returns
5) Don't Forget the Driver
6) A Hard Day's Night
7) Take Your Partners
8) After Three

Series Three: (27th October 1979 - 15th December 1979)

Disc 4:

Love Thy Neighbour - The Complete Collection (Not Complete Series) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Smethurst
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing and lazy release., 20 April 2011
Until I bought this boxset, I don't think I'd ever seen an episode of "Love Thy Neighbour" before. It's before my time and I can't remember ever seeing it repeated. I'm a big fan of older sitcoms when characters could call a blackboard a blackboard and sing baa, baa black sheep etc. without receiving two complaints and it appearing on the national news. So I would've given this boxset a five star rating even before I'd watched an episode. Unfortunately though I've only given this boxset two stars and that's for the fact that it's the nearest thing to a complete collection that doesn't use much shelf space.

This is a disappointing and lazy release for various reasons I will mention below.

1) Like the other reviewer said, it's not complete. Series 4 finale episode titled "April Fools" and episode four from series 7 titled "The Coach Outing to Bournemouth" are the missing two episodes. This should be called the collection and not complete collection.

2) These discs are obviously exactly the same discs as the Fremantle individual series dvd releases, as each of the eight discs included says series 1 to 8, when in fact there were seven series made and not eight. This is very lazy of them, I expected them to correct all this and especially for the price of £40. On the back of the box it actually says all episodes included from all eight series on eight discs. So they went to the effort of printing that even though they know it's not true.

3) The box is too small for eight discs and they've only just managed to fit them in. This is about the width of less than two standard dvd cases. Nothing wrong with this size, but not for a series that over 50 episodes were made.

4) No episode title info is included anywhere, not in the box or even on the disc menus and not even at the beginning of an episode. All you get is episode 1, 2, 3 etc.

5) No ad breaks. This one is personal and not everyone will care but I prefer them to be included like the excellent Network releases. The main problem when they are not included is that there is a sudden jump from one scene to the next and it's unnatural and obvious where the ad break was.

Like the other reviewer said, Network are rumoured to be releasing this in the future from what I've read on wikipedia. I know they are not perfect and have made some mistakes themselves plus they never include subtitles which is one good thing that this Fremantle release does have.

Overall though, I'm usually impressed with Network releases, so please Network if you are reading this, release "Love Thy Neighbour" complete collection with episode titles and original airdates and correctly packaged as seven series, then I can get rid of this disappointing Fremantle release. Until that happens though, this collection will have to do.

Love Thy Neighbour - The Complete Series [DVD] [1972]

Edit 5/2/12

Just added two extra stars for this boxset, as I was originally a little harsh. It's very cheap now too compared to what I paid for it, a bargain at under £14. If only I'd waited myself. Only reason I've not given it five stars now is because of the lazy packaging and incorrect info which I mentioned originally.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 8:07 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7