ARRAY(0xb42db4ec)

The Sun Also Rises
The Sun Also Rises
by Ernest Hemingway

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugly book, 13 May 2013
This review is from: The Sun Also Rises (Paperback)
I've only got to about chapter four, and so far the writing is wonderful, a complete joy.

This is not a review of Hemingway, this is a review of the publisher.

If you enjoy the physical presence of books as well as the words they contain, this edition is going to make you die inside just a little every time you look at it. It is a truly hideous thing, the publisher has even spelled the word available (availible) incorrectly on the back cover.
My recommendation is to look for a different edition. I have actually bought another one just so that I don't have to look at this one again.

Happy reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 9:48 PM GMT

Dry the Wood, Build a Fire
Dry the Wood, Build a Fire
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album *****, 2 April 2013
Anyone who has seen Ramshackle Union Band live would not need to read a positive review here to convince them to listen to this new album. This recording does a great job of capturing the precision and exuberance of this excellent band.
Following on from the excellent 'Old Town Row' short album/EP, 'Dry The Wood, Build a Fire' is a development of the winning combination of monster drums, tight vocals and harmonies, and brilliantly inventive guitar, bass and banjo parts that weave into and complement each other.
I'd say there are shades of Neil Young, Fairport Convention (Liege and Lief - particularly in the drumming), and Led Zeppelin, too as well as the obvious bluegrass/folk/blues references. The style of the songs is interesting and original, and the craft of song writing and song development with a band is very much in evidence - there is a great balance between the different instruments and voices, creating an overall texture that is complex in terms of what is going on, but sounds clear and simple.
I've been listening to this album over and over again since it came out and it keeps getting better. My personal favourite tracks are Magdalene and Woman's Hands. And Revelry. But they're all good.
Download and listen. You won't regret it!

Washburn Rover N Travel Acoustic Guitar - Natural
Washburn Rover N Travel Acoustic Guitar - Natural
Price: 106.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value travel guitar, 18 Mar 2013
I bought this guitar because I didn't want to be without one when I went on holiday for a week. It comes in a case that's about as compact as you would expect, but it's still quite large. I just wrapped the guitar in some fabric and slung it over my back to take it on a flight, and there weren't any problems taking it on the plane, although the stewardess did say that technically it was outsize. It seems to be pretty robust and showed no signs of a few knocks I gave it in the course of the journey.

It looks great, a really good design.

Playing it takes a little bit of getting used to, mainly because of the balance being opposite to a normal acoustic - ie. the neck is considerably heavier than the body. But now I'm used to it, and even now I'm back at home I'm finding myself playing it all the time. It's good to hold, easy to pick up and play anywhere, the sound is surprisingly pleasant, too. It is supplied with .10 gauge strings. I normally play with .12s but I quite like the lighter format for this and it has a good twang, sweet high notes and enough low end to balance the top.

All in all, I am really happy with this guitar, and for the money I think it is amazing value. I haven't played any other travel guitars to compare it, but the martin is quite a bit more expensive... I would be surprised if it is as much better as it is more expensive.

oh, one minor negative - for the first few days it was a bit funny about holding tune. It seems to have settled now, but with such a lightweight construction I suppose that's always likely to be a bit of an issue especially moving into different climates.

Astronomy For Dogs
Astronomy For Dogs
Offered by Side Two
Price: 4.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Just don't build it up too much!, 26 May 2007
This review is from: Astronomy For Dogs (Audio CD)
I first heard the Aliens single on the Rob da Bank show months ago, and what I heard didn't convince me to rush out and buy the album. However, the other reviews on this page "best album 2007", "the album the beta band should have made" etc. led me to think I may have been a bit hasty. And I was - this is a good album, certainly superior to the Lone Pigeon offerings Concubine Rice and Sccchhooozzmiii. It has the definite mark of Anderson, which seems to be a bit more wilfully chaotic than the Beta Band sound judging by his other stuff. The only disappointment from my point of view is the fact that this is not "the album the Beta Band should have made" as I had been led to believe, and in the search for that Holy Grail of an album, disappointments are hard to take. Anyway, that's all, if you've read this far, you might be interested enough in my recommendation for Steve Mason's King Biscuit Time albums, especially the No Style EP which I think come closest to the Three EPs so far. Happy listening...