Profile for Sandman > Reviews

Content by Sandman

Sandman (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Kool (TM) 3 in 1 USB OTG Connection Kit HUB SD MMC TF Card Reader Adapter For Samsung Galaxy S4 S2 S3 Note 2, HTC ONE, Nexus 7 & Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab 3, ASUS MeMOPad, and all OTG compatible devices
Offered by Euromart UK

3.0 out of 5 stars If I hadnt had this to hand would have been useless. Link to my SD converter below http, 12 Nov 2014
Works, sort of. Doesnt pick up SD card (using my Asus memopad) but it will if a use a usb sd converter that I luckily had. If I hadnt had this to hand would have been useless. Link to my SD converter below

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack
TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 Jun 2014
Bought these to replace some ancient 85Mps plugs that worked fine but were about the size of a VW beetle each, and was surprised to find my download speed has increased by about 30%! I've only got 20Mb broadband so they why they've done this I have no idea, as that's a quarter of the old plug rated speed. But I guess the old ones were just s***.

Either way I'm happy.

Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower Case (ATX, M-ATX, Supports Bottom PSU Installation and Aperture for Cable Management, Anti-Vibration Rubber Stand)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case with some bad points, 30 Mar 2014
Main reason for getting this case was getting the temps down; this has done that very well, GPU now maxes out at about 65c under load, and CPU around 40-45, which is about 20 degrees cooler than my old case. So the 5 fans have done their job.

Case also looks good and is reasonably solid, about that you expect for the price

Bad points, front panel is a nightmare to get off at first, you really have to pull, thinking its going to break, then it shoots off and you have to be careful you dont break the wires coming off it, Stupid design.

HDD placement looks nicely done but putting the side panel back on you'll find it catches the sata and power cables to it (unless you have right angled cables) which dislodged them on first attempts, again stupid design fault.

Lastly, my R9 270x only just fit in, I thought this case was large but its not that big.

Overall, I would recommend it mainly because of the cooling.

Alien Liaison: The Ultimate Secret
Alien Liaison: The Ultimate Secret
by Timothy Good

2.0 out of 5 stars A matter of faith, 28 Mar 2014
Like all ufo/paranormal books this offers absolutely nothing other than stories, you would think that after the multitude of encounters, landings and other phenomena someone might have got one tiny piece of physical evidence, or at leat a photo that wasnt taken from 30 miles away and blurred.

The main gist of this book, that governments around the world are covering up alien contact, I find very implausible, because humans and by entension governments, are incredibly stupid and incompetent, so keeping this kind of secret for 60 odd years is unlikely.

A large part of the book is taken up by cattle mutilations, which the author thinks is being carried out by aliens and/or an evil government cabal; this is the most ridiculous part of the whole idea. Even if we accept the premise that aliens would come all the way to earth to cut a cow up why leave the bodies on the ranches or arouse suspicion?! Dump it in a lake or use your alien laser telepathy or whatever to vaporise it!

The government doing it is even more insane, the idea being that they are testing chemical warfare products or something; which they could do on any number of animals, and actually do it in private by buying them perhaps? No, why not fly to a load of remote ranches, mutilate farmers livestock (which for some reason they cant source from anywhere else) and then leave the bodies for the farmers to find the next morning. Yeah right.

Then we have perhaps the most interesting part of the book, an account by a Bob Lazar who claims to have worked at Area 51 on alien spacecraft. Its a good story, but if we were able to use and replicate alien anti gravity technology I think a hell of a lot of people would be billionaires right now selling hoverboards and the like.

This ranks alongside the Von Daniken and Setchin, a money spinner for the gullible.

True History
True History
by Lucian of Samosata

4.0 out of 5 stars Apparantly I bought this last month, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: True History (Paperback)
I cant remember reading this, or even getting it, but I cant remember NOT getting it either so I'm giving it 4 stars, as it must be pretty good if I bought it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 10:46 AM BST

Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 1120Mhz 2048MB GDDR 5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 1120Mhz 2048MB GDDR 5 PCI Express Graphics Card

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 30 Jan 2014
Battlefield 3 made my old card (a 6770) have a meltdown; literally, it was only 2 years old. poor thing. So I decided to get this as a replacement. (On a side note the meltdown gave me a bluescreen atikmpag.sys error which if you google it has people all over the place. In my case it was pretty obvious the card was at fault, especially with visual clues.)

Anyway this has good write ups, only got it today so first impressions:

Its longer than my old card, barely fit in the case, so check measurements before ordering.

Plugged in (2 6 pin pci e cables) and installed in no time - but had to use overscaling to get full screen on my 23" HD monitor. Never had that before and could have been scratching my head about it for a while if I hadn't chanced on this option.

I bought this higher spec 270x as it claims to have special cooling etc and I had a suspicion overheating is what caused my old card to commit suicide. Well. It idles at around 34 degrees, not too bad (the monitoring software you get with it is very handy, it records all figures over time so you can compare), but after just 20 mins on Sleeping Dogs or BF3 it went up to 87 degrees, which is unacceptable, and now I realize why the old card, which didn't even have special cooling what nots, eventually kicked the bucket. Pity I did have that tool before.

On the plus side, this heat is due mainly to my case being overstuffed and having too little ventilation and fans, which I will have to sort, playing with the side off the case dropped the temp to a far better 70 degrees, so I need a new case it seems. One with a side fan and bottom fan, as this card blows all the hot air down, which has nowhere to go.

Performance wise, I cant measure fps, but it plays BF3 on ultra settings at full HD and I don't notice any lag, it looks pretty good, but to be honest not that much different from my old 6770 which ran it on high, albeit a bit slow at times. This is coupled with a I5 2500k and 8 GB ram for reference.

Ill come back to edit this review after a few weeks, but overall, I'm happy with it, apart from the temperatures (with the side door OFF) at 70 degrees is crap for a card that sells itself on its cooling. It is pretty quiet however.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2014 7:36 PM GMT

Sleeping Dogs - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Sleeping Dogs - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun, 30 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've got GTA 3 and 4, and Saints Row 3, after a couple of hours I stopped playing them all, got bored.

Sleeping dogs has got me laughing (shoot out the front tire of a moped driver and watch..) and having fun after days. Its not perfect, for example camera angles being annoying sometimes, and the odd random crash out, but overall its brilliant.

The graphics are stunning, not so much on the characters, but the cityscape and cars etc, it's very atmospheric. I love driving around at night. The sequel should be awesome if they improve on this.

The combat is a novelty, you hardly ever get a gun (so far anyway) its martial arts time, which is great fun, especially if you pull off some good combo's. It takes a bit of practice and good timing for the counters, but you should be taking out gangs in no time. The Zodiac island challenge was good, its a homage to the Han's island tournament in Enter the Dragon, and very well done. I found this by accident early on so it took me a few goes to beat Mr Han man.

Missions are sometimes hit and miss, but 80% good fun, and you can always do a street race for a laugh, the motorbike ones are particularly tricky.

Recommended overall

Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Blowing up animals with grenades has never been so much fun!, 30 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The title says it all really. Well most of it.

Ill start with the bad first - huge downloads, you need to set up a uplay account (even if purchasing via steam as I did) so don't think you can play offline at all. Could be wrong not tried. That said, after all updates have not experienced and crashes or problems.

The first 15 or 20 mins are incredibly annoying, you have to sit through long cut scenes and follow instructions like climb, crouch etc, as if anyone at this point has not played a FPS before. Also I don't care about the storyline, tourists get captured by pirates blah blah, whatever, let me shoot things. Especially the helpless animals I've read about. (Turns out most of them are very nuch not helpless, as I learnt early on after getting mauled to death by a Komodo dragon. And later a Emu. (Cassowary) Yes a bloody emu pecked me to death as I was busily skinning its mate. Tip - take out the entire herd/flock..)

The other annoying thing is crafting, I'm all for having loads of animals roaming around so you can practice lobbing molotovs for example, but having to find particular ones to make stuff like wallets and rucksacks is silly. I'd rather buy upgrades from the clearly under employed locals than dick about for 10 minutes is a jungle trying to find a frikkin tapir. And whats with the leaf thing?! Collect a green one for a health syringe, hmmmm right...

But...apart from this, this game is great, and now its cheap as chips it's even better. Graphics are excellent, you can spend ages looking around, admiring the landscape (occasionally shooting a pig in the face for fun) combat is pretty good too; AI isnt great, but good enough, anyone with just a little shooter experience will have no trouble taking out a base even on hard levels.

Best bit is the fact that its a massive sandbox, you can travel around doing odd missions here and there, do the main storyline, or just go exploring as seeing whats around. Shooting cassowary's in the head as often as possible is my current favorite pastime, for obvious reasons.

Memoirs of Odd Adventures, Strange Deliverances, Etc: In the Captivity of John Giles, Commander of the Garrison of Saint George River, in the District of Maine (Classic Reprint)
by John Gyles

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but awful print, 20 May 2013
The recollections of a 17th century English settler who was kidnapped by a local tribe when war broke out between them and the British. Whilst its a very interesting read, its hampered by the fact that a lot of the text is barely legible. It looks like the book was made by photocopying a 80 year old print run. I'm spending half the time squinting and guessing at various sentences. Would not have bought if I had seen a preview page.

The Day Of The Swans
The Day Of The Swans
by Linda M. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent psychological thriller, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Day Of The Swans (Paperback)
Page turning stuff kept me reading till early hours of the morning. Basically a young trainee psychologist/therapist gets a new, disturbing patient who eventually reveals that he is someone important from her past (or is he?)

As Anna (the protagonist) and the other characters try to sort out the truth from fiction, we learn important facts about them all; everyone is hiding something. Excellent characterizations and ingenious twists will keep you gripped to the end.

Would make a great film.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12