Profile for Peter Griffiths > Reviews

Understanding Plato (OPUS)
by D J Melling
Price: 27.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Jun 2012
This book reminded me of sitting in a maths lesson at school and struggling to keep up while the teacher tried to explain difficult ideas in language that was alien to me.

I was hoping this short book (170 pages) would explain some of Plato's main ideas in a clear way. I don't think I was much closer to understanding Plato by the time I'd finished reading.

I felt it was often too confusing for the general reader and, I suspect, too basic for philosophy students.

Too many sentences start with phrases like "It is evident that...", "It would not be inconsistent to argue...", "It must be admitted that..." and "It is obvious that...".

The writing style is clunky and dated. Take this on the Theory of Ideas: "The Idea of the Good is itself knowable as well as being the source of the knowability of all that is knowable."

Or this on forms: "If the Form which is the source of the X-ness of other forms is not the source of X-ness, then we seem to be left with an impossible dilemma."

Perhaps it's impossible to avoid such constructions when trying to explain Plato's work, but I found it clumsy and awkward to read.

I'm still searching for a clear guide to Plato for the general reader.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2013 2:43 AM BST

Logitech mm28 portable speakers
Logitech mm28 portable speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent speakers, 28 Aug 2006
These speakers are amazing quality for the size and price.

I wanted something portable to take on holiday. I thought the sound quality would be similar to the ones you used to use with walkmans, but it was far better.

There's good treble and fair bass for the size.

I'm very pleased with them.